• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S11's Milsurp Mondays Episode 2: 1941 Johnson Rifle

EDIT:

I guess I wrote the post about my M1A1 and then zoned out and wrote the wrong title! Here are the pictures of the Johnson... Sorry about that!

View: https://imgur.com/a/mdewW5s

I don't really know a whole lot about it. I know that it's in an early enough serial number block to have been shipped off to the Dutch, but I think the condition is too good to have seen any serious use, unless it's been fully refinished. I did notice that one of the holes through the stock appears to have been plugged. No idea why. I wish I knew more about the story of this rifle.

S11

Last edited:
This is what I see, M1 Carbine...

Hey guys,

For my second installment of Milsurp Mondays, here's my 1943 M1A1 Paratrooper's Carbine. I picked this up after I bought John Cleary's M1 Garand and think they look good together. It's got CMP paperwork and I believe it to be original. It has an early type handguard, high cut stock, and early front band, but post-war magazine release and rear sight. Another collector friend said it may have gone through a field-level upgrade, retaining some features but replacing the ones considered to be more critical. If only it could tell its story...

View: https://imgur.com/a/gC7HB8Q

Cheers,

S11

that is not a 1941 Johnson :(
Okay so I'm not losing my mind lol. A friend of mine bought one a couple years ago and let me shoot it. What a badass rifle. I had a case head separation when shooting it which was probably due to the old 30-06 ammo he had.
3600.jpg

This is what I see, M1 Carbine...

Okay so I'm not losing my mind lol. A friend of mine bought one a couple years ago and let me shoot it. What a badass rifle. I had a case head separation when shooting it which was probably due to the old 30-06 ammo he had.
View attachment 248222

Damn, sorry guys! I guess I wrote the story about my M1A1 Carbine and linked it, but then wrote the wrong title for the post! I've fixed the link and description at the top, and here it is below as well.

View: https://imgur.com/a/mdewW5s

I'll post on that M1A1 in a few weeks when this mistake is forgotten ;)

Ahh much more like what I was expecting to see! Thanks. That's a beauty too!! Its on a very short wish list of mine for milsurps I want to buy if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Have you shot it?

This was a problem for all early semi automatic rifle developers: the pressure from a 30.06 made it hard to extract. Some early semiauto designs used lubricated cartridges, considered unfeasible by Ordnance. Don’t forget the Garand was originally chambered in a .276 Pedersen.

The existence of the Johnson rifle really had more to do with USMC politics than anything else, but it is a very interesting technical design, saw some combat use, and is VERY collectible as a result.

This was a problem for all early semi automatic rifle developers: the pressure from a 30.06 made it hard to extract. Some early semiauto designs used lubricated cartridges, considered unfeasible by Ordnance. Don’t forget the Garand was originally chambered in a .276 Pedersen.

The existence of the Johnson rifle really had more to do with USMC politics than anything else, but it is a very interesting technical design, saw some combat use, and is VERY collectible as a result.
Here’s a photo of the case.
BEB5D5A4-5F28-4782-BC77-5BE3B5262F77.png D09EA13B-090F-421E-A877-F542D8A91E50.png

And here’s me shooting it. Was surprisingly soft shooting and very accurate. My friend paid a good chunk of money for it. Way out of my league/budget but glad I had a chance to shoot it.
E08D5399-1BFB-4D8C-B8A0-8A0441DB2ECA.jpeg

I've had half a dozen failed cases in M49 Yugo 8mm with split sides, but not case separation like that....:eek:. Had my forehead peppered with powder...

t

I've had half a dozen failed cases in M49 Yugo 8mm with split sides, but not case separation like that....:eek:. Had my forehead peppered with powder...

t
Yeah I’ve never encountered a separation either. Definitely some old ammo (1958) but I’m not sure that means much.

Back
Top Bottom