• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1958 Browning 3 gun set

Hi All,

My grandfather gave me his 1958 3 gun Browning set. He purchased them, ran 6 shots through each, and stored them. They came in a wooden box with red molded fabric. They all look great, minus the scratch on the Hi Power. I have found a few sites that ID the markings, serial numbers, and manuals, but I wanted to see what other information people had. I am going to refinish the box as I assume it holds value for the set. 2 questions I have are: 1) Can the scratch be fixed? 2) Is there anyone on the South Shore who would be a good gunsmith for a thorough cleaning and testing? On to the pictures!

Thank you,
Joe

IMG_20160717_164036367_zpsnwdok0k4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190732_zpspfjltwke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190808_zpspiqw6yr4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190822_zps82bhmgop.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190604_zps6emezq4y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190646_zpsnzez0lbr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190658_zps94zll5hr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190509_zpsanlihfgb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190520_zpsx7nemfhn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190531_zps9zhhwalo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20161231_190542_zpsoistwxad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wouldn't refinish the box unless it's literally been eaten by something, and even then... most collectors like things unmessed-with.

Antique cars gain value if refinished and restored.

Antique guns lose value if refinished.

Not sure about antique gun boxes, but I would leave it original.

Please don't refinish these, just clean them with light oil. Perhaps have a competent gunsmith inspect first if you intend to fire them, and boy would I like to fire them

Please don't refinish these, just clean them with light oil. Perhaps have a competent gunsmith inspect first if you intend to fire them, and boy would I like to fire them

It's the box he wants to refinish. He seems to have his head on straight about the guns. I think what we're not totally sure about is whether the "no-refinish" rule applies to wooden accessories as well.

It's the box he wants to refinish. He seems to have his head on straight about the guns. I think what we're not totally sure about is whether the "no-refinish" rule applies to wooden accessories as well.

He wants to refinish the gun with the scratch on it too.

I'd leave both alone if they were mine. It the scratch goes to bare metal you might get it touched up, but you should try to avoid it if possible.

I'd leave both alone if they were mine. It the scratch goes to bare metal you might get it touched up, but you should try to avoid it if possible.
I still want to know how a pistol fired only once (6 rounds) and kept in a special fitted wooden box got so badly scratched? [thinking]

Anyway, you are right. Leave the scratch alone. Refinishing the slide will likely decrease collector value.

I still want to know how a pistol fired only once (6 rounds) and kept in a special fitted wooden box got so badly scratched? [thinking]

Anyway, you are right. Leave the scratch alone. Refinishing the slide will likely decrease collector value.

I know a guy who has a large revolver collection.....I have never seen him shoot or even known to see him with amo.....but he managed to drop a colt python scratched it and dinged the barrel crown?
shit happens.

do not refinish anything....have a professional gunsmith detail strip and clean them and put them back in the box and store correclty if you do not intend to shoot them. Then leave them alone.

I would send off all the info to browning and see if you can get the factory letter. most of the 3 gun sets i have seen are higher grade pistols, polished, engraved and such.
Im not a huge collector but I do like brownings. I have the baby browning and the hipower and all i would need is the 380
I have seen a few presentation cases go for several hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:

Goodness. I think you're right. Reading comp fail on my part.

OP, that scratch is regrettable, but trying to fix it is likely to cause more problems than it solves. JMO.

Thanks everyone. I will store the box and build another. I will have a competent gun smith check them all over and hopefully test fire them. I will not fix the scratch, yes I agree I don't know how it happened but my grandpa is 87 and has moved a lot after retirement. I will also contact Browning to see what I can get from them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They can't be fixed and are currently worthless. You seem nice, so I'll do you a favor and trade you my H&R single shot 20 gauge with a broken stock, missing hammer and bent barrel. We can do the transfer at my dealer at your expense. Plus I'll need a ride as I'll be drinking.

Lol, sounds like a nice offer, but I'm going to have to pass for now. Thanks though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Let this be a lesson to those of you who have not yet had your kids.

I was born in 1958 and my father did not buy a nice set of birth year guns.

If you have a kid, don't miss the opportunity. Also, save a birthday newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom