1937 Lion Crest VZ24 in the house! W/Pics after cleaning.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Well, I have gone and purchased my first non-German Mauser rifle. Still 8mm though; let's not go crazy yet.

This is an unmodified VZ24, about 30% bluing, matching receiver and stock, 4651H4, bolt mismatch, ER5505. Poor acceptance mark, E3/Lion/37 (1937); I thought it to be FZ27 when I first saw it last week, until I knew what to look for. Czech Lion crest rifles were produced from 1935-1939 (you know what happened in 1938). Great bore VG+, faint import mark, CAI GEORGIA VT VZ24 8mm CZECHO.

The pictures are as I picked it up tonight. I have NOT cleaned it; not so much as a patch. I have a correct sight hood that came on my first K98 16 years ago, and I still have it and I know where it is. Go figure that I'd ever need it. I have a sling ordered from LT.

The foreign Mauser bug may be contageous. He also had three other intersting ones...

1895 Chilean Mauser, 80%, all matching, rod, full crest, VG bore, $285
1944 K. Hale Turkish Mauser, 70%, all matching, rod, VG bore, $149
1909 Argentine Mauser, 70% all matching, rod, poor/fair bore, sling, $295

MS

Last edited:
An all matching K Kale Turk Mauser is a rare find especially for that price. Get it or else I will.[smile]

I thought you'd be sending me after the Chilean. The bank says no more guns until she gets a job...and to ask no more opinions on guns to this forum.[wink]

MS

P.S. Actually, I agree. The Turk would still be 8MM. Now how to find $160?

Last edited:
After 4 hours of cleaning...

Well I spend four hours tonight cleaning the Vz24 and an hour writing this post. My lap top does funny things when I’m on forums, and I lost 75% of my first draft and I had to start again.[angry]

The rifle came apart fairly easily, with the problem areas being the rear band tightening screw (frozen) and the floor plate. The floor plate is very tight; I had to hold the retaining pin up with a pair of lock pliers and knock the plate off with a wrapped screwdriver and a hammer. The bluing is nearly perfect under the wood, and the barrel, stock, and hand guard have matching numbers as well. The trigger/sear and ejector box assemblies were dismounted, disassembled, and cleaned/oiled as well. The mottled finish on the rifle is not rust or dirt (all clean), but rather the natural patina and faded bluing.

The hand guard had two small cracks, one at either end. I gently spread them and super-glued the gap; fixed. Every part got cleaned in a large metal tray using light penetrating oil and a toothbrush. The underside of the barrel, trigger/sear, and receiver were covered with old gunky, black Cosmoline.

The mostly bare stock and hand guard went into the bath tub with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a Scotchbrite pad/sponge combo. I scrubbed twice and rinsed. Once dry, the stock got two coats of hand rubbed cut Tung oil and polished with a rag.

The bolt was full of Cosmoline as well. Everything was clean and bright, and the spring was a pristine dark blue – I hope it is strong for my 50’s Yugo. I chambered a clip when I was all done cleaning and it more effort to rack the bolt than any of my K98k’s. The action is slick and smooth.

The barrel was treated with foaming bore cleaner and netted a couple slightly rusty patches. I then used a brass brush, and CLP patches. I only needed a dozen patches; there is a slight bit of roughness 1cm into the muzzle, but the rest of the bore is bright and clear and not counterbored.

I added my sight cover; just waiting for the sling to arrive. All ready for range time this weekend![smile]

MS

Last edited:
I have made a proposal to the Bank of Wife which was accepted. She will write me a check with what can be spared every payday on my salary. When I have enough, I cash the checks and off I go to the gun store! Next rifle will be the Turk, hopefully within two months. This idea may work with any of you of who are subscribed to the Bank of Wife! [dance]

I kind of like it in that I know roughly when I can afford something and she likes it as I no longer have to say honey, do we have...

MS

Sweet looking rifle. I love the lion crest. Reminds me of something you would see on a tapestry in a castle or on a coat of arms.

And call me crazy, but I LOOOOVE when the wood has that "wet" look to it. It gets me pretty worked up.

How's the trigger on those mausers? Anything special?

Sweet looking rifle. I love the lion crest. Reminds me of something you would see on a tapestry in a castle or on a coat of arms.

And call me crazy, but I LOOOOVE when the wood has that "wet" look to it. It gets me pretty worked up.

How's the trigger on those mausers? Anything special?

The trigger is two stage and has a smooth take up and feel. The follower has no hold-open feature; I don't know if mine is shaved, or that was the normal spec. The trigger is fatter and fuller than a K98k, the bolt is slick, and the spring strong. The Vz24 is the same length as a K98k, but feels more solid like an '03 Springfield. Range report to come.

MS

Last edited:
I have made a proposal to the Bank of Wife which was accepted. She will write me a check with what can be spared every payday on my salary. When I have enough, I cash the checks and off I go to the gun store! Next rifle will be the Turk, hopefully within two months. This idea may work with any of you of who are subscribed to the Bank of Wife! [dance]

MS

I'd need to find a new Bank [smile]

I would put a deposit down on the 1895. The Ankara is a VG rifle, but the Chilean is unique in many ways. The cut out in the receiver to strengthen is just one. 7x57 is a great cartridge and there has been some well priced surplus ammo coming in country. Hell, put a deposit on both!! Do you need a P1??

I would put a deposit down on the 1895. The Ankara is a VG rifle, but the Chilean is unique in many ways. The cut out in the receiver to strengthen is just one. 7x57 is a great cartridge and there has been some well priced surplus ammo coming in country. Hell, put a deposit on both!! Do you need a P1??

I'd still like to have an original P38 over a P1. I'm happy carrying my M14 Mauser; it's small and light. I'll see how much the Bank of Wife has deposited in my account in a month, go back and look again, maybe take some pics, and leave a deposit. I'm still leaning towards having only 8mm Mausers for now.

MS

Back
Top Bottom