1916 Simson and Co. Gew98 'After' Pics.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Some after pictures. The cocking piece is still frozen to the firing pin after 14 hours in CLP. Not sure what to do here. The bolt functions properly, and the headspace is OK; I just can't strip it. I can leave it as, but probably can't shoot 50's Yugo out of it. I managed to remove the stump of the front capture screw and replaced it. I also replaced one the rear swivel mount screws (flat head) with a correct one. One broken part; only half of he ejector box screw came out.

Bore was the easiest to clean; a couple of passes with a brass brush and less than 20 patches - very good plus.

All parts match (1246e) except: handguard (pencil 1324), bolt body, trigger, sear (all 53), cocking piece (27), follower (75), floorplate (26), and trigger guard (7481). All parts are imperial proofed.

I stripped the walnut stock of varnish; it turns out the stock was sanded, but lightly. The two coats of cut Tung oil didn't really penetrate, and were topped with a coat of wax.

I have on order into Numrich for an ejector box screw and an Imperial rear swivel mount. I have an order into Liberty Tree for one of their nice repro slings, cleaning rod, and brass muzzle cover. I'll put together some finished pics when all the parts arrive.

What would be an insurance value on this piece; $800?

MS

020-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice - I wouldn't guess on a value. That's your arena.

Now it's time for the adrenalin hang-over. You get all pumped up about the hunt, the capture, and cleaning up the kill. You sit back for a while and congratulate yourself on a job well-done.

Eventually, you become satisfied with a sufficient level of fondling, and become a little depressed that the fun is over. Then you put it in the safe and think about the next score....

Inevitable.

Must...fight...inevitable...[sad2]

I get a second chance when the new parts come. The bolt guts are currently soaking in penetrating oil down in the basement in hopes of releasing the cocking piece.

I'm down to trading for a while...put an add in gunbroker...

I've got the next one lined with the seller of my recent purchase; bolt MM K98k. Good price on a case of Yugo ammo, too.

Gotta pace myself to get to June...Do some shooting once the snow melts...

MS

Gotta pace myself to get to June...Do some shooting once the snow melts...

MS

If you're waiting for the snow at Sippican to melt, it won't happen until at least April. That place is the forgotten land when it comes to thaw.

You may want to try Kroil for the bolt parts. It really is a wonder oil for loosening stuck metal. If that doesn't work, you may need to go a little more hardcore like putting it in the freezer or trying a propane torch.

If you're waiting for the snow at Sippican to melt, it won't happen until at least April. That place is the forgotten land when it comes to thaw.

You may want to try Kroil for the bolt parts. It really is a wonder oil for loosening stuck metal. If that doesn't work, you may need to go a little more hardcore like putting it in the freezer or trying a propane torch.

Well, at least ankle deep and not knee deep.

Don't have a torch. I could take it to school and hold it over a Bunsen burner in my labortory![devil2] But as I as guns are verboten, I assume gun parts are as well. The school went into lockdown mode last year as someone found a spent .22 casing in the hallway.

Can I get Kroil local? A lot of members speak of it. I can turn the cocking piece freely, it just won't let go of the firing pin.

MS

Can I get Kroil local? A lot of members speak of it. I can turn the cocking piece freely, it just won't let go of the firing pin.

MS

Try some different auto parts stores in your area. They usually stock Kroil, even if in just the aerosol.

I had a Hakim with a stuck gas adjuster. I tried everything, heat, CLP, WD40, tapping with a hammer, nothing worked. Someone told me about Kroil. I soaked it and let it sit over night. The next morning it popped free with little resistance.

Back
Top Bottom