1911 or Glock Longslide?

I'm considering a Glock 24 or 1911 long slide as my next purchase. I already have a few Glocks and a 5" 1911. For target shooting I like them about equally.

This would strictly be a fun gun. Any comments from people who have experience with both or either?

neither, he is literally saying that the slide is too heavy. to make it work you would either need the slide lightened, or a light spring AND hot loads to make it work properly.

I'm not interested in building one, just buying a complete gun. Are you saying the slide would need to be modified to function? Doesn't sound right.

no, thats not what he is saying. A long slide 1911 is heavy - more specifically, the slide is heavy given the extra length - the frame is the same as a standard government model. The cyclic rate is somewhat slower and more pronounced with a long slide. A 1911 long slide can run just fine for normal use, but for sub-second doubles used in competition, it may be at a disadvantage. Also, if you start making your own ammo with softer loads and lighter bullets, you may end up with other cycling issues. If you are, however just using it as range toy with standard 230-200grain factory ammo - you wont notice any of these limitations - and I cringe even calling them that.

Why do you even want one? What do you hope to accomplish with a 6" 1911 that you cannot with a 5" ???

Why do you even want one? What do you hope to accomplish with a 6" 1911 that you cannot with a 5" ???

He said it was just a "fun gun", no justification really needed I would think.

That said, if this is purely a gun for the range, I would get a 1911 longslide over the Glock. To me they look a hundred times better, and personally every Glock I've held has just felt uncomfortable in comparison to a 1911. The Glock longslides just look wrong to me, and .40 was never really my favorite cartridge either.

Back
Top Bottom