1911 grips keep loosening up.

I was thinking of putting a little bit of Loctite blue on the screws and letting it dry before assembly. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Make sure that it's the screws and not the inserts that a getting loose. But I see no problem using temporary loctite on your grip screws.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Make sure that it's the screws and not the inserts that a getting loose. But I see no problem using temporary loctite on your grip screws.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Thanks. I haven't taken the grips off to look. I just tighten them up with an allen wrench but I will and make sure it's not the inserts.

Either way is fine. The inserts loosen up as well as the screws. Whatever you do don't
put the high strength stuff on them.

Thanks. Red is the high strength stuff and I'm pretty familiar with it. Generally, using that means you don't expect to ever take it apart. Blue means you want the screw to be removable though it can be a bit tough if you assemble when the stuff is wet.

Red is the thread locker for the inserts, blue for the grip screws. If you really want the inserts to remain in place use Loctite primer on them.

You can use blue Loctite if you wish on the grip screws- I'm sure it's more than adequate. However, I just use a bit of nail polish. Seems to work fine and you know you'll have no trouble removing the screws later.

My .02 is to use the PURPLE not the Blue. These are pretty fine threads and not much of a screw "head" to turn. Apply one one drop using a tooth pick to the threads after they've been degreased. If they still loosen up go with the Blue. It's not only the "color" it's also how it's applied. Most folks just pour a drop right out of the bottle and get too much on the threads.

I've used the Purple on 3/16 machine bolts/nuts that were prone to vibration and the nuts would fall off. After the Purple was applied they stayed in place.

My .02 is to use the PURPLE not the Blue. These are pretty fine threads and not much of a screw "head" to turn. Apply one one drop using a tooth pick to the threads after they've been degreased. If they still loosen up go with the Blue. It's not only the "color" it's also how it's applied. Most folks just pour a drop right out of the bottle and get too much on the threads.

I've used the Purple on 3/16 machine bolts/nuts that were prone to vibration and the nuts would fall off. After the Purple was applied they stayed in place.

Thanks. Good tip. Would you allow the purple to dry first before assembly?

My SW 1911 grips also used to come loose. Now I just use a tiny o ring and all is well. I think it is a number 60 o ring but I may be wrong.

No, the idea is to thread the parts together while wet, and then when the stuff dries it locks the threads in place.

Well, with the blue stuff, letting it dry first can give just enough grab without glueing the threads together. I'm not familiar with the purple stuff though.

See the Midway link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=445105

It's Locktite 222 (Purple) Small thread tread locker. Key word is SMALL. Apply a small drop and install screw while wet. Removable with hand tools.

Most folks apply too much of what ever strength they choose and have a hard time removing it. Be very careful around the Grip Screw Bushings. There isn't a lot of meat and threads in the grip frame. If you "bugger" those threads you'll be buying a tap and new bushings from Brownells or explaining to your local Smitty how you screwd up.

Hope that helps

You can also run the screws across candles to fill the threads with wax.Works great and you can still get the screws out fairly easy.

Blue/purple typically works fine.

It's almost a requirement on 1911PD/SC guns as the extra recoil seems to make
the screws unscrew themselves that much faster.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom