• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 ejects brass straigt back

I purchased a used series 80 Colt 1911.
the spent brass ejects almost directly back on to the top of my head.
Do stronger beefier extractors exist? or can i mod the current one.
i once saw a guy pull the extractor out the back of the gun half way, and bend it ever so slightly to solve a similar problem.
Any advice is good.
thanks

Last edited:
Is it a strong, fast tumble backward? try a weaker recoil spring. 18# or less.

Does it just dribble out, slowly tumbling - try a stronger spring.

You can change the shape of the ejector nose to somewhat affect where the casing goes. You can put a bevel on its edge to direct the casing more to the side. Do some google search on the subject.

ETA: you can tweak the ejector nose to change direction. The extractor hook can also be shaped, but this is usually done to help in the round sliding up between the extractor and the breech face.

Last edited:
Extractor is the part that holds the cartridge by the rim, the ejector is the part inside the slide that the base of the cartridge hits to get ejected. Sir Macadoo's last paragraph about shaping is referring to shaping the ejector, not the extractor.

"i once saw a guy pull the ejector out the back of the gun half way, and bend it ever so slightly to solve a similar problem"
Actually you saw him pull the extractor out of the slide and bend it. The ejector is on the port (left) side of the slide. No need for a "stronger beefier" ejector or extractor, it may need the tension adjusted. You say used gun: how many rounds, has recoil spring ever been changed, is the gun just starting to do this or has it always done this? These answers affect advice to give.

Jack's advice is good.

Never had this problem with 1911s, but did have a similar problem with my M3A1 grease gun. The extractor looked fine, but replacing it fixed the problem. Only thing I could figure was that the way the extractor "presented" the case to the ejector was the problem. Change extractors and see what happens. Jack.

I have seen this before and it is usually due to the "extractor" releasing the case too early. Unless you have a lot of experience smithing on 1911's take it to a gunsmith and have the extracter bent to provide more tension or replaced. The other thing I have seen cause this is the case hitting the ejection port because the slide didn't quite make it back all the way due to a too strong recoil spring.It was easy to tell because there were brass markings on the forward part of the ejection port...

Thanks for all the quick info, I changed ejector to extractor in OP.
Not sure how many rounds were fired from gun. I think the rounds tumble out slower since they just kind of bounce off my hat. not slam into my head.
I have numerous different recoil springs, i will try this.
It has a guide rod on the recoil spring. does this require a special spring? My other 1911 does not.

Last edited:
They pretty much all have guide rods, some are just longer than others (Braveheart reference). I'm assuming you mean "full length" guide rod; and no, they don't require special recoil springs. Make sure you're not limpwristing the gun when it fires: that can also cause ejection issues. If the gun is a Government sized (5 inch barrel) "normal" springs are 16-18.5 lbs for 230gr .45ACP. Commanders (4.25 inch barrel) are about 20-22lbs.

Back
Top Bottom