1911 Black Army Model

I own a Colt 1911 made in 1918.It is known as the Black Army model because of the finish color being darker than usual.The bluing process was changed to make the guns faster.I was wondering if anyone else out there own one.I have seen them offered for sale on the internet from $900 to over $2000.00

Hello pbearperry

I think you posted this thread in the wrong place. A mod should be by and move it for you

Regards,

Paul

We NEED pictures.[smile]

I have one. Mine was made in 1919.

Condition and originality is everything when it comes to value. Mine is all Colt except for WWII replacement barrel and generic GI mag for WWII, Korean or Vietnam war. However the pitting really hurts it's value, but those give it "character" to me. YMMV

Two very helpful 1911 sites.
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30
BE WARNED these guy know their stuff, but one or two of them are HARSH.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/

This site has EVERYTHING you always wanted to know about Collecting GI 1911/A1 pistols.

1911's made in 1918 were made in the greatest numbers, that is, there were more made that year than most of ALL the other years combined!
They changed the machining process and left out the final polishing to speed production.
The bluing was applied on the guns and they did come out almost a black color. Most of the 1918 guns have the finish flaking off, that is because of the process that it was applied with mainly and they are almost 100 years old!!!!
With pricing a 1911 condition is paramount, any military gun that was used in some war is going to have a fair amount of wear.
Ones that were "liberated" by supply clerks and used by officers are a lot less likely to have the finish missing and will therefore fetch a higher price.
Arsenal referbished guns (guns used in subsequent wars) do not have the value as an original would.
If all of the parts were correct like the barrel, grips and slide etc. It would bring the most $$.
Original in 90+% plus is 2000.00
Drops a lot in 80% to 1000.00
Arsenal guns fetch 800.00 or so.

I have several of these but the newest one is 1914, they are great!

Back
Top Bottom