1903 purchase for shooting

mac1911

NES Member
Im thinking of purchaseing a springfield 1903. I have not had a chance to get my eyes on it yet.
My question: I read/hear some where that a certain serial# range was considered not suitable for shooting. I just cant seem to find the info ?

Other than that what other items should I be aware of when inspecting. I have a throat and muzzle wear gauge for a garand will that work on the 1903?

The approximate serial number range where heat treating changed is around 800,000. A rule of thumb is that anything above 850,000 is good to go.

I would be more concerned about the headspace, either get the guages and check it yourself or have a smith do it. I would never buy another one without checking and if the seller made a stink about it I would walk. Trust me I got burned real good on Smith Corona when I started collecting years back and didn't know anything.

Mac, where are you I have 30.06 guages you could borrow and I think I still have the TE and muzzle guages as well. I also have a test bolt.

Last edited:
will the gauge I purchased for my Garand work, its a field gauge if that matters. ?

Yup, strip the extractor from the bolt and insert the guage in a clean chamber, if the bolt closes completely on a field guage I wouldn't fire it until is was checked further by a smith. Honestly though, it's an old gun and I would have it checked out regardless. But that's what "I" would do. Just out of curiosoity what are they asking for it?

The approximate serial number range where heat treating changed is around 800,000. A rule of thumb is that anything above 850,000 is good to go.

To be specific - this range is for SA 03s. The RIAs have their own numbers.

All 03A3s should be good to go, but some rewelds and reactivated DP rifles are out there as well.

More info : Its a remington and as far as I can tell its in its original configuration un altered.
Remington 03a3 3,540,000 serial range. Bore was clean and bright crown in VG shape. It appears to be a reasenal, VG blueing and some mixed colored parts here and there.
Just behind the front sight on the barrel its marked RA what looks like a flameing bomb(also seems to have a punch mark in the center of the bomb) 3-3
At the very end of the stock near the bayo lug its also stamped with a flameing bomb. FJA on left side near trigger. I only was able to get the top part of the stock off for now. No rust to be seen
Bayonet lug appears to be parkerized.
The bolt has little markings that I saw. Did not really look to far. There is a 3 stamped near the bolt. some small marks on the safety but need a magnify glass to read.
Someone cleaned up the stock and gave it quick gloss coat ? the P is in the gip area along with some other hard to make out marks just in front of the mag well.
I purchased a gonogo guages and following the directions it checked out ok.
only other thing I noticed is the rear sight windage doesnt index or click......like the garands for example.
Over all it apears to be nice and should make a good shooter. Im just at odds on what to pay for it. I was told "make me a offer" I offered 100.00 he said a little low. Hes giveing me time to check it over....pics in a few days.
Given what I have whats a ball park of value.

Last edited:
To be specific - this range is for SA 03s. The RIAs have their own numbers.

All 03A3s should be good to go, but some rewelds and reactivated DP rifles are out there as well.

I was gonna say, if you want one for shooting, I'd get an A3 for the Garand-type sights--and then the reciever is a moot issue. I've also seen a number of Mark 1's floating around--a nice bit of history if you can get your hands on one (I know I love mine!), and I believe all Mark 1 recievers are around 1,000,000 and up.

Last fall, I wanted a 1903 with some historical value that I could also shoot a round or two from at the range (i.e., not a just a dust collector in my safe). I did my homework, and these were some helpfull links I found:

More on the the receiver issue by a guy who thinks it's a bit overhyped: http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/
However, the CMP takes a much more conservative approach: http://www.thecmp.org/m1903.htm

Also, a webpage that should be bookmarked by any '03 owner--has photos of all the different bolt markings along with their datings, along with sample barrel/serial dates for matching: http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

Last edited:
I was gonna say, if you want one for shooting, I'd get an A3 for the Garand-type sights--and then the reciever is a moot issue. I've also seen a number of Mark 1's floating around--a nice bit of history if you can get your hands on one (I know I love mine!), and I believe all Mark 1 recievers are around 1,000,000 and up.

Last fall, I wanted a 1903 with some historical value that I could also shoot a round or two from at the range (i.e., not a just a dust collector in my safe). I did my homework, and these were some helpfull links I found:

More on the the receiver issue by a guy who thinks it's a bit overhyped: http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/
However, the CMP takes a much more conservative approach: http://www.thecmp.org/m1903.htm

Also, a webpage that should be bookmarked by any '03 owner--has photos of all the different bolt markings along with their datings, along with sample barrel/serial dates for matching: http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

I have an 03, but it's in the last few thousand made...

The best I could do is 375.00 is that good ?

I wish to hell I could find one for $375!!! or $475.......

I found a 5 digit 03 for $495. but I want a shooter, not shrapnel in the face. The only other 1903 ive seen up in my area was a crappy NATL ORDNANCE parts gun, and that was $475.

John,

You did great for $375!!! I'm looking at one in similar condition and the seller won't budge from $525 (and I still will probably do it). I'm a bit on the jealous side right now.

Ash

My only problem with this purchase is I had to buy the whole lot of guns to get it. They had the break down of the guns prices seperately
The 1903 was listed as springfield 1903 03A3 refinished 375.00. I was later told that it would have brought a bit more in value if the barrel was a SA and not a RA
and the gun was not blued but parked. Anyhow I like it and it looks like it has seen little use since the US arsenal rehab and then the reblue. Friend of mine thinks it might have been a sportized model that someone converted back to military configuration ?

I had to purchase a romainian AK whick was only slighty less than shop prices
walther model 9 25acp( neat little gun but have little use for) shoots well for a 60+ year old pistol
PK380 nice little shooter but I have no love for it
And some odds and ends with ammo for all 4

The more correct parts the more it's worth. If it has an RA barrel, it's worth more than if it had a replacement SA barrel. Althought it should be parked.

you stole it.

Be aware, the 03a3 is a mule when it comes to kicking your shoulder.

yes...IMO.

My 03a3 is the most bruising rifle I have. I even bought a slip on rubber butt pad so I could shoot it. I don't use it on any other rifle I have.

I"ll shoot my Mosins all day and not think about it.

It's got to be the shape of the stock and the way it transmits the energy. Even my RIA 1903 is not as bad as the 1903a3.

hmm well I may consider a sporter stock for long term shooting and fit it to me. I find the pitch on most guns to be way off for me causeing the firearms to rise up and smack me.

yes...IMO.

My 03a3 is the most bruising rifle I have. I even bought a slip on rubber butt pad so I could shoot it. I don't use it on any other rifle I have.

I"ll shoot my Mosins all day and not think about it.
+1

Coincidentally, I actually just got back from shooting an '03Mk1 and a 91/30 at my gun club...while it wasn't an A3, I did notice a good difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom