1882 Chaffee-Reece U.S. Trials Rifle

1882 Chaffee-Reece, U.S. Trials Rifle of 1884

S1UbGErl.jpg

Origins

With the advent of the black powder cartridge rifle, and following the U.S. Civil War, there was roughly a quarter century's worth of innovative long arm development. Many of these designs were literally obsolete before the ink on the drafting blueprint was dry. This journey of growing pains, successes and failures, gave rise to the modern bolt action, smokeless powder cartridge rifle which we know today. One of the detours along the way produced the 1882 Chaffe-Reece.

During the time that the single shot, cartridge loading Springfield Model 1873 Trapdoor in .45-70 was the official U.S. service rifle, several multiple shot, magazine-fed rifles were starting to show promise. Three of them which were authorized for troop trials were the 1879 Remington-Lee with a six round capacity, and a spring-fed detachable magazine under the breech, the 1879 Winchester-Hotchkiss with a six round capacity, and a spring-fed tubular magazine in the buttstock, and the 1882 Chaffe-Reece (built at Springfield Armory in 1884) with a six round capacity, and ratchet bar-fed tubular magazine in the buttstock. Seven hundred fifty each of the three magazine rifles were submitted for trials, and endured approximately one year's worth of field testing against the Springfield Model 1873 Trapdoor. All rifles were chambered in .45-70 Govt.

While the Lee had the most favorable reports, the Hotchkiss second, and the Chaffee-Reece last, none of them ranked well against the utility of the Trapdoor, and no changes to the armament of U.S. Armed Forces were recommend as the result of the trials. It was not until 1892 that the U.S. Army would adopt a bolt action as the main service rifle, the Krag-Jorgensen.

See the following post for the Chief of Ordnance report and Trials test result summary.

dxc8WAHl.jpg

Production

Developed by R.S. Chaffee and General J.N. Reece, the original design was licensed with Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company. It is unknown how many prototypes were developed, but only to say that very few came from Colt. When approached by the U.S. Government, Colt could not meet the required 750 trials rifle quota nor price point (only 200 units were promised at $150 each), so the contract was offered to Springfield Armory. My Chaffe-Reece is one of the 753 total units produced at Springfield in 1884, at a cost of $56.28 per unit. None of them were serial numbered. The stock, trigger bow, bands, cleaning rod, swivels and sighting borrowed heavily from the Trapdoor design.

Vivld8Il.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1882 Chaffee-Reece Features and Operation

The 28 inch barrel has the standard V over P over Eagle stamp. The Model 1879 Trapdoor carbine rear sight is a combination ramp with slider and flip-up leaf. It is calibrated from 1-600 yards on the ramp, and 7-1,400 yards upright. Both the letters 'C-R' (for Chaffe-Reece?) appear on the left base, instead of the usual 'C' which is found on carbine sights, or 'R' for rifle.

kZYXsOKl.jpg

CtIegXYl.jpg

ZM5ZP72l.jpg

CiuEVNIl.jpg

YxWrtTUl.jpg

izLr45Ul.jpg

The stock has the script circle-P proof behind the trigger guard, and the 1884 cartouche with inspector initials of SM on the upper left rear buttstock. The rear sling swivel is on the front of the trigger bow, front sling and stacking swivels are on the forward barrel band. The standard 'U', for up, is stamped on both front and rear barrel bands.

pHm7W35l.jpg

BVH4lxLl.jpg

RpkMx6Cl.jpg

JlyqgMXl.jpg

E974wgPl.jpg

The Chaffee-Reese was built to accept the standard U.S. socket bayonet for the Trapdoor rifle, to affix with a 90 degree rotation and lockring behind the front sight base. The cleaning rod is also styled after the Trapdoor design.

Ghkfis7l.jpg

pdV8WSCl.jpg

tN71Kdkl.jpg

wBYZqE2l.jpg

NnaS6Eql.jpg

Vetbus2l.jpg

Now to the tube magazine/bolt/cut-off system. Many remaining examples of the Chaffee-Reece are missing parts or all of the feed system. Mine is fortunately completely intact.

The magazine was not spring loaded, and instead employed a complicated ratchet operation utilizing a lever, cam, and dual bar system, with linear loading through a trap door into a tube in the buttstock. I am not going to disassemble to inspect the magazine system, but I can observe operating function through the trap door while opening and closing the bolt. So I will do my best to describe the complicated operation.

To begin, it was important to the tests that the rifles colud be operated in single and multi-shot modes. As no trigger/sear safety was incorporated, there was a need for half and full-cocked bolt operation.

Cut-off engaged in forward position, single shot mode. Cut-off disengaged in rearward position, magazine feed mode.

XzGXs1ul.jpg

l38Orwil.jpg

Bolt, half and full-cocked positions

EryfWuHl.jpg

179KMpEl.jpg

One of the drawbacks of the design was the difficulty of takedown for cleaning. I have not field stripped, nor can I find instructions for field stripping. But my experience tells me that a pin must be driven out of the bolt before the release lever can be pulled.

hbuZQril.jpg

Vivld8Il.jpg

The bolt extractor is connected to a sliding lever along the right lower side of the receiver. The lever follows rearward to the magazine tube and enables the cam and ratcheting motion for cartridge feed.

V4Eo4rll.jpg

5wbcBAyl.jpg

bzHx961l.jpg

Please excuse my crude freehand artistic skills! Below is a simplified drawing of the magazine tube and feed mechanism. Two bars are positioned along the bottom length of the tube. The bar on the left is of uniform construction. It has cam operated upward travel to secure the position of the cartridges in the tube when the bolt is either in the fully closed position, or when the bolt is traveling rearward. While the bolt closes on forward motion, the left bar has downward travel to release pressure against the cartridges, allowing them to feed forward.

The cam and lever operated bar on the right has five notches. It travels up and down, forward and rearward. The right bar only has contact with the cartridges during the bolt closing motion, when it feeds the cartridges forward.

jQB8piql.jpg

Since I did not disassemble, the following pictures are the best I can manage for the tube feed mechanism.

sisZzHRl.jpg

OB3KvjSl.jpg

U7F0TFTl.jpg

rEOTwjql.jpg

Report of the Chief of Ordnance.
Stations and Duties.

The Stations and Duties of the officers of the Ordnance Department are as follows: Four at the Ordnance Office; thirty nine at the arsenals, armory, and powder depots; nine at the Ordnance Board and at the foundries; six at the several military headquarters and ordnance depots; four at the Military Academy; one under the orders of the Secretary of the Interior; one in the Life-Saving Service, under the Secretary of the Treasury.

The Ordnance provides the armament for our sea-coast defenses, and arms and other ordnance stores for the army, the Militia, the Marine Corps, all other Executive Departments to protect public money and property, and the forty colleges authorized by law to receive them for instructions.

Small-Arms

During the fiscal year ending June 30, 1886, 39,527 rifles, carbines, and shotguns have been manufactured at the National Armory. Repairing arms, providing spare parts, making swords, sabers, and miscelaneous articles must be mentioned as among its operations.

The Lee, Chaffee-Reece, and Hotchkiss magazine rifles had been in the hands of troops during the previous year. In December the last reports of their trial having been received and properly tabulated and digested, (Appendix 35), the following report was made by this Office to the honorable Secretary of War:

Ordnance Office, War Department,
Washington, D.C. December 15, 1885

The honorable Secretary of War,

Sir: I have the honor to transmit herewith a tabular statement of the results reached in the trial of a number of each of the magazine rifles issued to the troops. These guns - the Lee, Chaffe-Reece, and Hotchkiss - were recommended for trial, in the order named, by a board of officers convened in 1881 under the authority of law, and were distributed to the Army for the purpose by the Lieutenant-General of the Army.

The reports from 149 companies have been received, examined and tabulated, and the results are as follows:

Comparing the three magazine guns with each other the reports are:
For the Lee 55, Chaffe-Reece 14, Hotchkiss 26. As magazine guns therefore the reports are largely in favor of the Lee.

Comparing the magazine guns with each other and with the Springfield service rifle as single loaders, the preference is for the Springfield, as follows: for the Lee 5, Chaffee-Reece 0, Hotchkiss 1, Springfield 21.

Comparing the magazine guns and the Springfield for all uses, the preference is for the Lee 10, Chaffee-Reece 3, Hotchkiss 4, and the Springfield 46 - being largely in favor of the Springfield.

In the column of objections in the tabular statement, will be found a brief of objections given in each report. After a careful consideration of these reports, I am satisfied that neither of these magazine guns should be adopted and substituted for the Springfield rifle as the arm for the service.

I have been and am an advocate for a magazine gun, but it would seem the part of wisdom to postpone for the present any further efforts toward the adoption of a suitable magazine arm for the service. The Springfield rifle gives such general satisfaction to the Army that we can safely wait a reasonable time for further developments of magazine systems.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
S. V. Benet,
Brigadier-General, Chief of Ordnance

Some highlights of the Appendix 35 notes are as follows:

Lee: Difficult to reload, lost magazine reduces to single loader, debris in trigger guard slot, excessive force needed for bolt operation, explosion danger from cartridges impinged in magazine, two hands needed to set to half-cock with danger of discharge, no cut-off.

Hotchkiss: Cartridges jam in rapid fire, difficult to reload, may discharge on bolt close, dangerous at "order arms" if cut-off not employed, poor sights, explosion danger from cartridges meeting in magazine, straight bolt handle cumbersome, magazine stock weakened.

Chaffee-Reece: Cartridges jam in rapid fire, friction too great loading magazine, excessive friction in breech block, excessive force to close bolt, premature discharge from bolt slipping from half-cock, complicated mechanism works hard, subject to fouling and dirt, excessive trigger creep, excessive trigger pull, magazine stock weakened, magazine cut-off easily displaced, magazine ratchet breakage, poor butt trap access rendering to single shot, down facing muzzle may clog when loading.

- - - Updated - - -

Personal Observations and Conclusions

My Chaffee-Reece is in stunningly gorgeous, museum quality condition. And though I won't ever be firing it, I can see why it never made it past the trial phase. Loading appears to be difficult, awkward and time consuming. The bolt works harder than the transfer case shift lever of a '78 Chevy K2500. The stock is weak at the wrist. It is seemingly impossible to clean. And the trigger has a 13-15 lb. pull. For these reasons, it was immediately obsolete and no more Chaffe-Reece rifles were produced beyond the trial phase.

Only 753 of these guns were ever built. A large percentage, perhaps as much as half of them, were damaged or destroyed in the rigorous trials. Following their sale on the surplus market in the late 1880s, many more were damaged, sporterized, parted out, or lost to neglect. Thus, only a few hundred at best could be remaining today, with many either on display or hidden deeply in specialized collections.

This is one heck of a rare and historic gun from an interesting transitional period of firearms development. I'm lucky to own it. Thanks for listening and looking.

- Matt Martin

Additional Pictures

S1UbGErl.jpg

Fchx3jtl.jpg

cLPaixBl.jpg

NlPcyB0l.jpg

Nc9z9knl.jpg

MDL39kYl.jpg

bzHx961l.jpg

RQ9ws4El.jpg

Vivld8Il.jpg

iYRMBBPl.jpg