• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

14 Strange Things For Fishing Bait

When I was a kid back on the island, we used to use a cigarette butt on a hook when we would handline for horse mackerel.

A friend who is big into doing tournaments and catches some big ones told me last week he uses cow manure. First time hearing that one. Fishing mostly for catfish and carp.

Years ago a fellow that did not speak English was dropped off at the edge of my lake and took out a salt water spinning rig. 9 foot pole and a brown paper package. I was 50 feet away and watching him. when he opened the package the stink of dead fish was overpowering. He hooked up a couple of overdead clams on a line with some serious weight on it and cast it out over 150' towards the middle of the lake.

He then sat down and proceeded to read a book. A half hour later he tested his line and set the hook. He reeled in 2 - 24" Horn Pout. The biggest I had ever seen taken from here. He reset the hooks and sent them out again. His wife showed up later and they left with about 8 large Horn Pout.

Learn something every day.

In 1971 in Ocho Rios Jamaica, guys that worked at the resort were using lobster meat as bait. I spoke with them and their claim was that it was cheap and it worked. :rolleyes:

I'm not into fishing, but I definitely always found a better use for lobster meat.

In 1971 in Ocho Rios Jamaica, guys that worked at the resort were using lobster meat as bait. I spoke with them and their claim was that it was cheap and it worked. :rolleyes:

I'm not into fishing, but I definitely always found a better use for lobster meat.
Gulf lobsters aren't as delectable as Maine lobster.. They're cheap, no claws, and just ok to eat..

Used to use Chicken Livers to catch catfish in the CT River as a kid, I'm sure that's pretty common though I would guess.

God Damn Jamaicans! That's Spiny Lobster, not the real thing (Homarus americanus). I've been eating Lobster since before I had teeth. I caught of thousands of fish in my youth. Except for a Flounder, every fish I ever caught was for one thing, Lobster Bait.

When I was really young, I'd go down the Cape with my Grandfather to "open up" in early May. The boat wasn't in yet so we'd throw a few pots off the end of the boat slips and tie them on.
We had no Bait, so on the way down my Grandfather would stop and buy Cat Food and poke a few holes in the can. It usually worked.

Years ago a fellow that did not speak English was dropped off at the edge of my lake and took out a salt water spinning rig. 9 foot pole and a brown paper package. I was 50 feet away and watching him. when he opened the package the stink of dead fish was overpowering. He hooked up a couple of overdead clams on a line with some serious weight on it and cast it out over 150' towards the middle of the lake.

He then sat down and proceeded to read a book. A half hour later he tested his line and set the hook. He reeled in 2 - 24" Horn Pout. The biggest I had ever seen taken from here. He reset the hooks and sent them out again. His wife showed up later and they left with about 8 large Horn Pout.

Learn something every day.
I truly believe that horn pout/ catfish would eat shit if you could get it to stay on the hook. 🤷

When I was a kid back on the island, we used to use a cigarette butt on a hook when we would handline for horse mackerel.

I was in Costa Rica once on the Atlantic side and saw some local kids fishing off a dock with what I thought was a comically oversized line and hook. Like the type you'd use trying to catch large game fish. No reel. Just line wrapped around a soda bottle. No bait either. Just a shinny hook. To my amazement, they caught what looked like a 10lb red snapper in like 4 castings. Basically what I would consider a trophy fish, but to them, it was probably every meal for the next couple days.

I was so intrigued that I asked to give it a go with casting. They were getting it to fly out like 30+ yards without a reel. I figured it was the weight of the hook, but on like 5 tries, I got no more than 15 feet. So I'm convinced, fishing is more than the equipment. It's the person handling it. Get the right person, and they'll catch a fish on almost nothing (or a cigarette butt).

Years ago,45+-, we used to fish spectacle lake in sandwich for trout. On the way we stop at the fish hatchery on 6A. They had gumball machines with fish food pellets for 10c a handful. Wed get 2 or 3 dollars worth then head to the lake. Poured all of it in a ladys nylon stocking with a lead sinker, tied it up and let it go to the bottom. All those stocked trout rememberd that food from the hatchery. Then wed put a small white marshmallow, with one or two kernals of yellow corn on a small trout hook. Couple of splitshots about 12-18 inches from hook so it floated off of the bottom. We ALL used to limit out every time. Those were the days.

For hornpout we used to put catfood in nylon stockings and fish at night with nightcrawlers off of the bottom. The catfood would draw them all in and wed get a shitload of those too.....

And, white mice with the hook tied off to one of their rear legs used to be real good for largemouthbass........
Used to get those cheap at pet stores in the day, you just had to say they were for your pet snake. I think its illegal now....

We’ve used chicken legs for crabbing.
I’ve caught small bluegill with bread/dough balls and then hooked them with a larger hook for large mouth bass.

I was in Costa Rica once on the Atlantic side and saw some local kids fishing off a dock with what I thought was a comically oversized line and hook. Like the type you'd use trying to catch large game fish. No reel. Just line wrapped around a soda bottle. No bait either. Just a shinny hook. To my amazement, they caught what looked like a 10lb red snapper in like 4 castings. Basically what I would consider a trophy fish, but to them, it was probably every meal for the next couple days.

I was so intrigued that I asked to give it a go with casting. They were getting it to fly out like 30+ yards without a reel. I figured it was the weight of the hook, but on like 5 tries, I got no more than 15 feet. So I'm convinced, fishing is more than the equipment. It's the person handling it. Get the right person, and they'll catch a fish on almost nothing (or a cigarette butt).
Yep. I watch this guys YT channel. He flings a bait caster miles with the lightest of baits. I’ve actually improved my casting in the last year or so. But I’m nowhere near this guys abilities.

No bait, just thousands of squats.

Back
Top Bottom