• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

13 Round Mag with Sig 229

I just bought a new 229 with the 10 round magazine. Is it legal to buy a 13 round mag out of state and carry with it. Or do I need to find one pre ban. Also, how do they know if a magazine is pre ban or not. Is it dated?

I just bought a new 229 with the 10 round magazine. Is it legal to buy a 13 round mag out of state and carry with it. Or do I need to find one pre ban. Also, how do they know if a magazine is pre ban or not. Is it dated?

.40? I thought they were 12 round mags.

Anyway the magazine has to be pre-ban, post ban mags over 10 rounds will get you in deep trouble in MA. As far a Sig mags and dating marks I can't help you, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

.40? I thought they were 12 round mags.

9mm P229s have 13 round mags. the .40/.357 is 12.

To answer the OPs question... yes it is legal, if the mags were manufactured
BEFORE Sept 13 1994.

And no, there is no real way of telling. All I know about sig mags is the really old zipperback mags are definitely preban. Some zig zags are too, but not sure if it's possible to tell. Newer mags also have caliber markings on them, too... but that doesn't mean they're postban. Newer mags are also generally blued instead of phosphated, but that isn't 100% proof, either... I have old blued mags.

Good luck.

-Mike

Does anyone know where one would go about finding pre-ban mags...

There was a guy on here awhile ago selling them in the classifieds. I have no idea if he's still around or not, you might want to check there, then I would check the classifieds on Sigforum.

-Mike

Post a WTB ad in the sigforum classifieds. I have a couple people successful there over the last few months. Most guys if they have them and don't need them will give them to you if you Just pay the price for them to buy new ones etc....

There was a guy on here awhile ago selling them in the classifieds. I have no idea if he's still around or not, you might want to check there, then I would check the classifieds on Sigforum.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom