12-year-old suspended after teacher spots toy gun during virtual class

Would adult video's on the screen of another computer in the background be ok? [popcorn]

Many modern laptops (especially Lenovo’s) come with a camera cover. The Lenovo I purchased for school has a very effective and I assume inexpensive sliding camera cover. Brilliant engineering.View attachment 387523
Thanks for the tip! my company issued T490 has a camera cover. never even saw it after 6 months. I had a post it over it.

Thanks for doing some research.

Looks like the original "Black Kong" has been banned from manufacture by the FDA due to medical issues.

Although not as rough- imagine she had this...

American Bombshell "War Daddy"

From Doc Johnson, since 1976

It comes with a warning that says for "Novelty Use Only".

Or get her this...

The Black Destroyer - 5 Pounder!

Comes with a giant suction cup.

I heard they have videos of it being used.

No wonder so many White men are cucked.

I dunno- that 1911 is a pretty accurate copy. This might be one of those cases where it's better for the teacher to be safe than sorry. I'm gonna have to side with the teacher on this one.
I could get a 1911 with a green AL anodized slide but it would be stupid to waste the resources to do so.

While I believe there is a law mandating a colored tip on fake guns, I don;t think there is a law against dippling the tips of real guns in orange paint.

I could get a 1911 with a green AL anodized slide but it would be stupid to waste the resources to do so.

While I believe there is a law mandating a colored tip on fake guns, I don;t think there is a law against dippling the tips of real guns in orange paint.

LOL I was totally joking about siding with the teacher but sans the orange tip that is a pretty good representation of a 1911. Without the orange tip, if a teacher I'd likely call the parents- and ask if they'd adopt me...

The teacher believed it was a toy gun but was not certain, despite the gun being painted neon green and looking like something that shoots foam.

“If her main concern was his safety, a two-minute phone call to me or my husband could easily have alleviated this whole situation to where I told them it was fake,” the mother said.

Interestingly, the school revealed it was recording students in their homes without parental permission after a sheriff’s deputy showed the video to the boy’s father.

Teachers are recording all the Zoom classes now.

I'd be damned before I'd let the school see inside my house, let alone record it for use against us in the future.

We all have "mandated reporter" snitches now, whether at the ER, pediatricians office (prime spot to grill the kids about what parents own or use) and of course schools. Jill and I told both of our daughters to keep their mouths firmly shut at school. Direct any and all questions to us, the parents. We will decide what the school needs to know or what is completely off-limits. Kids have to learn that their teachers and school administrators are not their friends. Neither are school resource officers and other LEOs.

But it's a losing battle for them, cause after this buying spree we're at the point where everyone owns a gun except a small contingent of anti gunners who actually aren't hypocrites. Sure, a lot of Democratic constituents are illegal gun owners but they're still gun owners.

Mom was on Fox this morning, cops showed up at the house without informing Mom. Kid in Maryland had a BB gun hanging on his wall and was suspended, Principal said it was same thing as kid bringing gun to school. Parents are suing. Another Mom was on Fox last week telling them school district sent home form for parents to sign prohibiting them from observing online teaching, Mom told them to go f*** themselves and hired a lawyer. Teachers Unions are our enemies and need to be disbanded.

The teacher believed it was a toy gun but was not certain, despite the gun being painted neon green and looking like something that shoots foam.

“If her main concern was his safety, a two-minute phone call to me or my husband could easily have alleviated this whole situation to where I told them it was fake,” the mother said.

Interestingly, the school revealed it was recording students in their homes without parental permission after a sheriff’s deputy showed the video to the boy’s father.

Teachers are recording all the Zoom classes now.

I'd be damned before I'd let the school see inside my house, let alone record it for use against us in the future.

So recording kids without the parents permission , but don't want parents watching or recording.
What say you Mr. Picton ?

Schools can go eff themselves. As an aside, zoomiws you to change the background so you don’t see anything but the background and the person. I do this for work and have set it up for the kids as well...

So recording kids without the parents permission , but don't want parents watching or recording.
What say you Mr. Picton ?

About an Infowars article about a state I've never taught in?

How should I know anything more than you do?

This is not a new thing. I got in trouble in preschool for making a paper gun with scissors and construction paper. The hysteria runs deep...

I don't actually disagree much, except that it's invariably NOT teachers that are making these rules. If you read the article, the teacher knew it was a fake and said so early on. My guess is that the rules under which she was working didn't leave her with any discretion as to whether she ran it up the chain, which is the rules' fault and not hers. Sort of a "mandated reporter" situation. I don't actually know whether my school has a policy about this kind of thing, but I DO know that a number of my colleagues are requiring students to use a school-provided virtual background precisely because they don't want to spy on their homes.

+1 on the meteor.
Assuming you're correct (and I suspect your are), that it's mandatory school system policy to report such occurrences up the chain, and from there to the police, then the real beef is with the school administration that came up with such a extreme policy, and the local Board of Education that approved it. They should go to the BOE to get the policy changed, and if the BOE refuses this should be remembered come elections.

However, the teacher is not off scott-free IMNSHO even if they had to report the incident. I would be very surprised if the policy FORBID the teacher from contacting the parents. A quick phone call, text message, or even an "Isaiah please get your parent so I can quickly talk/chat with them offline" could have made a world of difference (ex. "Mr or Ms Elliott, Isaiah just showed a toy gun to the class. I'm sorry, but I'm forced to report this by (stupid) school department policy. I'll tell them it clearly was a toy, but here's what's likely to happen ... If he is suspended, which is likely, here's what I can do to help him keep up ... Again, I'm sorry.")

Assuming you're correct (and I suspect your are), that it's mandatory school system policy to report such occurrences up the chain, and from there to the police, then the real beef is with the school administration that came up with such a extreme policy, and the local Board of Education that approved it. They should go to the BOE to get the policy changed, and if the BOE refuses this should be remembered come elections.

However, the teacher is not off scott-free IMNSHO even if they had to report the incident. I would be very surprised if the policy FORBID the teacher from contacting the parents. A quick phone call, text message, or even an "Isaiah please get your parent so I can quickly talk/chat with them offline" could have made a world of difference (ex. "Mr or Ms Elliott, Isaiah just showed a toy gun to the class. I'm sorry, but I'm forced to report this by (stupid) school department policy. I'll tell them it clearly was a toy, but here's what's likely to happen ... If he is suspended, which is likely, here's what I can do to help him keep up ... Again, I'm sorry.")

I'd have called the parents too. But I have no idea what their policy says; sometimes they don't want you to call.

Spot on with your first paragraph, but it goes higher. In many states, these kinds of policies are out of School Committees' hands as well. State legislatures were fapping all over themselves passing "zero-tolerance" laws around the time of Bush I. A lot of times, the schools' hands are tied unless they want to get prosecuted, mandated-reporter style. It all peaked with Clinton and Gingrich, though. Senseless. It's taken too long to get rid of that crap.

I'd say we're talking about the tip of the iceberg with stories like this, but the metaphor is wrong. It's more like the little part of a massive turd, the part that just BARELY pokes above the water...

FYI: Here's the school department policy site: Policies - Google Drive
Their weapons policy is under Students, here:

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzcu9SFt3MSaRDFxa0ZlVElvMjQ/view

Here's the money section:
Firearm facsimiles
Carrying, using, actively displaying or threatening with the use of a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm on district property, when being transported in vehicles dispatched by the district or one of its schools, during a school-sponsored or district-sponsored activity or event, and off school property when such conduct has a reasonable connection to school or any district curricular or non-curricular event without the authorization of the school or school district is prohibited. Students who violate this policy provision may be subject to disciplinary action, including but not limited to suspension and/or expulsion, in accordance with Board policy concerning student suspensions, expulsions and other disciplinary interventions.

A student may seek prior authorization from the building principal to carry, bring, use or possess a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm on school property for purposes of a school-related or non-school related activity. A student’s failure to obtain such prior authorization is a violation of this policy provision and may result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to suspension and/or expulsion, in accordance with Board policy concerning student suspensions, expulsions and other disciplinary interventions. The principal’s decision to deny or permit a student to carry, bring, use or possess a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm on school property shall be final.

School administrators shall consider violations of this policy provision on a case-by-case basis to determine whether suspension, expulsion or any other disciplinary action is appropriate based upon the individual facts and circumstances involved.
Note the qualifier "reasonably mistaken". There's probable fail number one.
Then note the discretion granted to administrators to determine appropriate action on a case-by-case basis. There's probable fail number two.
Fail number three is harder to prove, as there are many pages of policy on the site, but a 10-15 minute search found nothing that prevented the teacher from notifying the parents promptly.

All that said, there could be other policies not published on the school department site, and/or laws that prevented doing the right thing in this case, but IMNSHO the teacher, school department, Board of Education, and maybe even the police, collectively went full retard. Plenty of stupid to go around for everyone here.

About an Infowars article about a state I've never taught in?

How should I know anything more than you do?

I was just trying to get your general take on the article.

I just talked to my neighbor tonight to give her a heads up on some of the stuff I've been reading as her 15 year twins are about to start school.
I don't want to see her house swatted because some nitwit saw an umbrella in the corner and called it in as an assault weapon or something.
She's going to set them up so there is nothing but blank wall behind them.

Although I will say our school district , at least when my kid was in school ,leans more towards the middle to the conservative side , she did tell me that over the summer one of the special needs teachers got canned for contacting kids over the summer pushing them to go out and attend BLM protests.
Good shitcanning IMHO.

We've truly become a nation of pussies, parents signing paperwork allowing teachers union hacks with an agenda to tell them what they can and can't do/have in their own homes. [sad] Now before the teachers here get their collective panties in a bunch I realize not all have an agenda. Although out of all the teachers/instructors/professors I've had I can say maybe 4 gave a shit about the students. The rest, just jaded pieces of shit acting as dictator over their little fiefdom marking time until the pension maxes out and they can retire.

post-30526-Hot-Fuzz-greater-good-gif-Simo-fRNY.gif

Bring on that big f***ing meteor already.

Thank you for giving me back a bit of hope. I'm gonna go rewatch that.

Schools can go eff themselves. As an aside, zoomiws you to change the background so you don’t see anything but the background and the person. I do this for work and have set it up for the kids as well...
Only if the computer is capable of it. I purchased chromebooks for both my kids when the school district refused to send home chromebooks back at the beginning of all this bullshit. Virtual backgrounds are not available to them.

Dang cameras are widescreen and can capture the whole flippin room if it (the camera) isn't facing a close wall.

Back
Top Bottom