12-year-old suspended after teacher spots toy gun during virtual class

Reptile

NES Member
Authorities did a welfare check on the boy with learning disabilities without parental notification.
A 12-year-old boy in Colorado got a five-day suspension for flashing a toy gun across his computer screen during an online art class, according to a report.
The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office said although the teacher thought it was a toy gun authorities still did a welfare check on Isaiah Elliott without parental notification.

“It was really frightening and upsetting for me as a parent, especially as the parent of an African-American young man, especially given what’s going on in our country right now,” Curtis Elliott, Isaiah’s father, told KDVR.

He said his son, who has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and has learning disabilities, wasn’t aware the gun was shown on screen in his distance learning.

“He was in tears when the cops came. He was just in tears. He was scared. We all were scared. I literally was scared for his life,” said Curtis Elliott.

“The virtual setting is not the same as the school setting,” the dad added. “He did not take the toy gun to school. He’s in the comfort of his own home. It’s a toy.”

The toy gun was neon green and black with an orange tip featuring the words on the handle: “Zombie Hunter.”

We've truly become a nation of pussies, parents signing paperwork allowing teachers union hacks with an agenda to tell them what they can and can't do/have in their own homes. [sad] Now before the teachers here get their collective panties in a bunch I realize not all have an agenda. Although out of all the teachers/instructors/professors I've had I can say maybe 4 gave a shit about the students. The rest, just jaded pieces of shit acting as dictator over their little fiefdom marking time until the pension maxes out and they can retire.

post-30526-Hot-Fuzz-greater-good-gif-Simo-fRNY.gif

Bring on that big f***ing meteor already.

Busy body teacher,wonder what caliber he/she is so they fire their ass on the spot. IIRC all toy guns have a colored muzzle usually bright orange and I think it's by Federal law.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the webcam and when the teacher asks simply say it's broken and we don't know when it's going to get fixed. Problem solved.
2 cents worth of tape can prevent the school from using a student's own webcam to spy on his home. Nice short-money solution to what is becoming a real problem.

2 cents worth of tape can prevent the school from using a student's own webcam to spy on his home. Nice short-money solution to what is becoming a real problem.

Many modern laptops (especially Lenovo’s) come with a camera cover. The Lenovo I purchased for school has a very effective and I assume inexpensive sliding camera cover. Brilliant engineering. 226D11D4-8426-472B-801E-DF6EE56448CE.jpeg

We've truly become a nation of pussies, parents signing paperwork allowing teachers union hacks with an agenda to tell them what they can and can't do/have in their own homes. [sad] Now before the teachers here get their collective panties in a bunch I realize not all have an agenda. Although out of all the teachers/instructors/professors I've had I can say maybe 4 gave a shit about the students. The rest, just jaded pieces of shit acting as dictator over their little fiefdom marking time until the pension maxes out and they can retire.

post-30526-Hot-Fuzz-greater-good-gif-Simo-fRNY.gif

Bring on that big f***ing meteor already.

I don't actually disagree much, except that it's invariably NOT teachers that are making these rules. If you read the article, the teacher knew it was a fake and said so early on. My guess is that the rules under which she was working didn't leave her with any discretion as to whether she ran it up the chain, which is the rules' fault and not hers. Sort of a "mandated reporter" situation. I don't actually know whether my school has a policy about this kind of thing, but I DO know that a number of my colleagues are requiring students to use a school-provided virtual background precisely because they don't want to spy on their homes.

+1 on the meteor.

Meh, sounds like excuses for a profession that continues to embarrass themselves.

I don't actually disagree much, except that it's invariably NOT teachers that are making these rules. If you read the article, the teacher knew it was a fake and said so early on. My guess is that the rules under which she was working didn't leave her with any discretion as to whether she ran it up the chain, which is the rules' fault and not hers. Sort of a "mandated reporter" situation. I don't actually know whether my school has a policy about this kind of thing, but I DO know that a number of my colleagues are requiring students to use a school-provided virtual background precisely because they don't want to spy on their homes.

+1 on the meteor.

Meh, sounds like excuses for a profession that continues to embarrass themselves.

You're not 100% wrong. But I'm not the one saying the teacher suspected the gun was fake: the article said it. So ask yourself why she still had to report it. Then ask yourself, when she presumably told her principal that she suspected it was fake, why it went any further.

One call from a teacher saying, "I saw what I think was a toy gun on a monitor during my remote class" isn't an automatic SWATting, surely. Though maybe it is. But plenty of that blame still goes to the administrators and the police.

You're not 100% wrong. But I'm not the one saying the teacher suspected the gun was fake: the article said it. So ask yourself why she still had to report it. Then ask yourself, when she presumably told her principal that she suspected it was fake, why it went any further.

One call from a teacher saying, "I saw what I think was a toy gun on a monitor during my remote class" isn't an automatic SWATting, surely. Though maybe it is. But plenty of that blame still goes to the administrators and the police.

Ask yourself then only question that matters. If she knew it was fake why didn’t she go on with her lesson and pretend she didn’t see a thing.

What would have happened then?

Ask yourself then only question that matters. If she knew it was fake why didn’t she go on with her lesson and pretend she didn’t see a thing.

What would have happened then?

Again, I don't disagree with you.

Fire the f***ing son of a bitch teacher, without delay. This kind of bullshit needs to stop.
Priority #1 is protect thy pension.
Ask yourself then only question that matters. If she knew it was fake why didn’t she go on with her lesson and pretend she didn’t see a thing
There is always a chance a REMF from the school administration popped into the class and she had to attend to priority #1. In the old days the saying in business was "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM equipment". Now days the school version is "nobody ever got fired for overreacting to guns or gun imagery".

Last edited:
It's all about the Psychological conditioning... Making kids fear guns at an early age........
How many reports of kids getting into trouble for finger pointing or making a pop tart look like a gun..

I dunno- that 1911 is a pretty accurate copy. This might be one of those cases where it's better for the teacher to be safe than sorry. I'm gonna have to side with the teacher on this one.
[troll][rofl][laugh2]

Parents need to do what I did. Find a blank white wall, put a desk next to it, put the computer facing the wall. My kids were 'given' chromebooks to bring home, so if it's 'broken' they'll want to fix it (and probably charge me for it).

Parents need to do what I did. Find a blank white wall, put a desk next to it, put the computer facing the wall. My kids were 'given' chromebooks to bring home, so if it's 'broken' they'll want to fix it (and probably charge me for it).

Those chromebooks are probably riddled with spyware.

+1 on the meteor.
We all have "mandated reporter" snitches now, whether at the ER, pediatricians office (prime spot to grill the kids about what parents own or use) and of course schools. Jill and I told both of our daughters to keep their mouths firmly shut at school. Direct any and all questions to us, the parents. We will decide what the school needs to know or what is completely off-limits. Kids have to learn that their teachers and school administrators are not their friends. Neither are school resource officers and other LEOs.

Back
Top Bottom