Palladin

NES Member
Girl loads rifle to spook burglars
11-year-old ready to defend herself
Updated: Wednesday, 11 Aug 2010, 8:03 PM MDT
Published : Wednesday, 11 Aug 2010, 6:23 PM MDT
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/Girl-loads-rifle-to-spook-burglars

Maria Medina
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - When three teenage burglars pried open the door of a northwest Albuquerque home they had no idea they would be met by a brave little girl, police said Wednesday.

Alyssa Gutierrez, 11, took matters into her own hands Tuesday when police said when Miguel Marquez, Eduardo Zubiate and Jesus Quintana broke into her home.

Gutierrez armed herself with a loaded rifle.

"I was planning, if they came right next to me, I would shoot them," Gutierrez said.

But Gutierrez, who will start sixth grade next week, never got the chance because she'd spooked the burglars.

Gutierrez said her cousins went to run an errand around the corner from their home and were gone for a few minutes when she heard the backdoor rattle.

"I thought it was (my cousin) Zachary playing a joke on me so I just turned the TV louder and ignored it," Gutierrez said.

But on the other side of the door were the burglars who pried open the door with a crowbar. Gutierrez believes that they'd seen her cousins leave and chose to break into the home when they thought no one was there.

She said when the Marquez, Zubiate and Quintana got inside, she heard them talk about stealing guns in the home. Gutierrez and her family told KRQE News 13 that they knew one of the suspects and believed the group targeted the home to steal their guns.

"My heart kept on pounding and pounding," Gutierrez said.

She said she slid to the floor from the couch when she saw the trio, but quickly decided that hiding wouldn't do her any good because the masked intruders had seen her.

"They had a rifle so I was thinking, 'What should I do? 'What if they shoot me?'" Gutierrez said.

That's when she made a beeline for her mother's room.

"I ran back into my mom's room and grabbed her little pink rifle, and there was two bullets in there," she said.

With the loaded rifle, Gutierrez said she checked the bathroom and then the living room ready to defend herself. She said she ran to her mother's closet and called 911.

But while Gutierrez protected her home, she had no idea the suspects had jumped the fence and that an off-duty APD officer driving passed her home had spotted them.

Police arrested the three teens and their alleged getaway driver, Abraham Bustillos, minutes after the break-in.

Gutierrez said she feels lucky because just a few days ago she had learned how to shoot a rifle.

"I felt proud of myself," Gutierrez said.

Reps to Alyssa for being brave beyond her years, and to the parents for not raising a victim. [thumbsup]

I hope it gets around the prison that an 11 y/o girl with a pink rifle scared them off! Love it!

Wasn't Jesus Quintana the name of the bowler from The Big Leboski? My mind wandered after reading the name ;) also, that is one smart girl. I'd be proud to have a daughter like that.

They have a nice little interview with her too.

2004695070058340070S425x425Q85.jpg

Link to interview

that video is very enlightening...

two rounds of 22LR.

one brave girl.

three punks run away.

but hey, one gun a month is what we need here in MA to keep the guns out of criminals... [rolleyes]

you had an educated, well spoken, hispanic girl, who obviously knows to point the barrel towards the bad guys (or target) who could have called 911 and got sodomized....

i hope the trolls from the AG or any LE agency is reading my post... [smile]

In Mass, her parents would be in jail and she'd end up in foster care
Or worse they would have found her beaten, dead, or worse in front of a safe full of locked up unloaded useless firearms that she could have used to defend herself. If there were no moronic storage laws in that state...

She probably shoots like a girl... like, say, Abby Oakley, K-dub, MrsWildWeasel... [laugh]

Gutierrez and her family told KRQE News 13 that they knew one of the suspects and believed the group targeted the home to steal their guns.

Obviously, little Alyssa wanted to cooperate with them. She was going to give them the ammunition first, one bullet at a time.

What a smart, quick-thinking, brave girl!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom