• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LDS Bulk Food Order Form

I was just comparing the prices to those on the Honeyville grains website - prices are a lot less...and if you pick it up yourself, save the ship costs..

with the projections in Food prices going through the roof, this is an interesting local resource to check out.

Rumor has it that LDS canneries may stop letting non-members use the facilities. It appears that the current policy is decided by each cannery as to if they even allow non-members. Worcester has in the past and appears to still do but there seems to be a large uptick in demand and many of the canneries are having trouble keeping stock. The increased demand may be about to change some of these policies.

From another board source:

This morning I went to the LDS cannery in VA for a pickup. I asked the guy running the place if the new Food Safety Act was going to impact the cannery and he said "not that I know of". He followed that by saying that he has heard that the cannery might eventually be closed to the public and only open to church members. He said that it was just hearsay. I asked was it because of the economy and increased demand etc and he kind of nodded his head and again said it's just hearsay.

I have ordered from them for several years through a friend who is in the Church. THeir ward has a quarterly appt and some folks go down and can everything up and bring it back up. Great people. Now I mostly get bulk wheat from them and then just put it in Mylar bags in 5 gal pails. I would like to go down some time and do my own stuff just for the experience. You can also get the stuff packed in 1 gal Mylar bags from them. I have bought it both ways and now prefer the cans as they are more durable.

This is not a business, so do not treat it like a store. There is no group buy, so no need for a group. Nor are groups allowed. They will not ship you anything. You must drive there. They will not can your produce, only the stuff they have on premises. They will not can for you. Although for about $1/can extra you sometimes could buy what was canned by someone else and left on the shelf as donation or for other reason.

These are just great people who are happy to help fellow man. They do not have “us vs. them” mentality. If they can, they’ll help. Worcester cannery is open Thursdays and Saturdays. There are 2 stations, so 2 families can work at the same time. You must call and make an appointment – DO NOT drive there without one. Do not bring small kids or pets. Be on time. Be humble. Be respectful. This is indeed a great resource, which is much appreciated by prepping community. Please treat it as such. And if you can afford, try to leave a small donation.

LDS doesn’t make money on this, yet they buy tons and tons of food each months - sometimes from “member” farms. Hence, the prices. When the food prices go up – LDS will adjust their prices too, but they still going to be lower than bulk food stores. So no need to panic. The rumor that LDS will be closed to non-members has been going around forever. But it is just that, a rumor. No need to panic. Worcester cannery gets a shipment once per month and most of the time one of the canning stations is open for an appointment. Chances are that as long as food is readily available, LDS will welcome the public with open arms. If we get to the situation where there is massive food shortages – than saving a few bucks on a can of beans will be the least of our problems.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Are all the items on the order form generally available? Do they change items when foods are in season etc? Anyone have an opinions about pouches (mylar?) over #10 cans?

This is not a business, so do not treat it like a store. There is no group buy, so no need for a group. Nor are groups allowed. They will not ship you anything. You must drive there. They will not can your produce, only the stuff they have on premises. They will not can for you. Although for about $1/can extra you sometimes could buy what was canned by someone else and left on the shelf as donation or for other reason.

These are just great people who are happy to help fellow man. They do not have “us vs. them” mentality. If they can, they’ll help. Worcester cannery is open Thursdays and Saturdays. There are 2 stations, so 2 families can work at the same time. You must call and make an appointment – DO NOT drive there without one. Do not bring small kids or pets. Be on time. Be humble. Be respectful. This is indeed a great resource, which is much appreciated by prepping community. Please treat it as such. And if you can afford, try to leave a small donation.

LDS doesn’t make money on this, yet they buy tons and tons of food each months - sometimes from “member” farms. Hence, the prices. When the food prices go up – LDS will adjust their prices too, but they still going to be lower than bulk food stores. So no need to panic. The rumor that LDS will be closed to non-members has been going around forever. But it is just that, a rumor. No need to panic. Worcester cannery gets a shipment once per month and most of the time one of the canning stations is open for an appointment. Chances are that as long as food is readily available, LDS will welcome the public with open arms. If we get to the situation where there is massive food shortages – than saving a few bucks on a can of beans will be the least of our problems.

Good luck.

Are all the items on the order form generally available? Do they change items when foods are in season etc? Anyone have an opinions about pouches (mylar?) over #10 cans?

They usually get the shipment at the beginning of the month. So closer to the end some items might be in short supply or not available. When you make the appointment, just ask and they will tell you if something is running low. It’s not a big deal – you’ll get a great excuse to come back and by more. [wink] Canning is fun. [rolleyes]

IMHO, for cans the cons are more effort to seal; more space to store; higher price. Pros are losses nutrition a bit slower; easier to consume when open; fits into smaller spaces. Mylar + bucket are just the reverse of the aforementioned. A family of two can consume a can of beans in 1 week. A bucket takes 2.5-3 month. With cans you are paying for the convenience, but often times it’s the price worth paying.

The list seems to stay the same. However, IMHO, dry apples are best this time of year. And grain is best mid winter. But if you need to store food – do it now. Do not wait. Animal feed stores are also good resource for inexpensive grain, seeds, etc. Remember you’ll need 400-500lb of food per person per year. It’s also might be a good idea to have some extra to give away to friends. A reasonable strategy might be 350lb of basics beans/grain/rice from LDS and animal feed stores 150lb of the rest. The rest will cost $15-40 per lb, so save as much as possible on the basics.

Tip: bring your own oxygen absorbers.

I've used the cannery in the past. Excellent people there but they will get overwhelmed if walk-ins occur. Call and schedule an appt. You'll be glad that everyone else does the same when you are canning as it gets pretty busy. I worked for a couple of hours to get all of my stuff done and it was only me.

Ive been looking for the link to LDS pantry ordering online.

ETA: I think I found it.
https://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/w...p+JyoPcuQRw5b4VrVTDFUkbM&ddkey=http:ClickInfo

Has anyone seen this website ?

Not the one where you have to go and pick up the food.

Thanks

I have never used them but depending on shipping the prices are good. One issue for me is their limited selection. I have seen on other boards that people have been satisfied with their purchases from there.

Sam, Worcester location has two sections – one is a pantry for poor, and the other is the cannery/bulk food. So when you say “Ive been looking for the link to LDS pantry ordering online.”, I am not sure if you might mean pantry for needy. I also do not know requirements to qualify for the pantry assistance, but based on my volunteer experience at Newton Food Pantry you would have to be a resident of Worcester and apply based on financial need. The pantry has lots of different food, including some fresh fruits and vegetables, bread, etc., and household items like toothpaste and laundry detergent. However, the link you posted seem to show only a few dry canned goods. I believe I saw a crate with “Family Home Storage Starter Kit” on the cannery/bulk food side of the building. So I’d guess anybody can buy those. They also might ship from MA for lower shipping costs. However, I honestly do not understand why anybody living within 100 miles from cannery would order from that list. Even without shipping you’ll pay a substantial premium for someone’s canning/packing labor and you’ll have limited selection. Remember, you need about 500lb/person of strategically chosen food to survive a year. So paying premiums and shipping really hurts the budget. Also, although canning is fun, storing most of your food in mylar+bucket is more convenient and cost effective. I got mine from www.bayteccontainers.com Both the price and bucket quality seed reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom