10/22 Build

Ive started to plan out my 10/22 build. It will primarily be used for plinking, practice and varmint hunting. I also plan to use this for some Appleseed shoots when the time comes.

I just recieved my Hogue 10/22 overmold stock in the mail today...much to my dismay it was OD green instead of the Black it was supposed to be, though Im tempted to keep it instead of going through the hassle of returning it...

IMG00127.jpg

Im planning on a light weight, reliable and accurate gun.

My planned parts list is as follows:

Hogue 10/22 Overmold bull barrel stock
Magnum Research Magnum Lite barrel - either 10/22 or 17 Mach 2 or HMR http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49489-1.html
Match trigger - likley in a stock housing, though Im debating a Kid trigger
Modified stock reciever
Mueller Optics APV 4.5 http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440.html
GI sling
Possibly a collapsable bipod

I realize that the optics and bipod will add weight to my "lightweight build" but they are things Id like for practice/becoming familiar with - as they will certainly be on another project Im specing out of a much larger caliber!

Any suggestions, tips, tricks?

Im especially interested in a source for a stock 10/22 reciever and trigger housing. This seems to be the best route to go in regards to getting the most performance for the least money - but I havent been able to find any and dont feel like butchering a brand new stock 10/22 for parts.

Also, aside the cost differences, what are the advantages to 17HMR or Mach 2 in this gun over 22lr? I like the idea of the round having a bit more nut behind it, but am not really sure if I can justify it in something Im building to be "cheap and fun" to shoot.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks or links!

-Coop

Thanks for the info Jay!

It is for the bull barrel. Im still up in the air on it, Ive seen some nice looking setups in the OD green - and it is growing on me a bit, on the other hand I had originally envisioned black...well see. I will certainly keep the offer in mind.

I dont suppose you have any leads on a stock trigger group I may be able to pick up for short change? Ive been browsing the rimfire central forums but havent come across anything yet.

Looks like you have a nice setup going there, Im looking foward to having something accurate, reliable and cheap to shoot!

Last edited:
If you go the .17 route I'd stick with the HMR. Myself, I'd stay with .22.

No on the bipod, you can be more accurate with just a sling.

Come to an Appleseed and we'll show you how ! (Shameless plug .)

my only advice is too late now.

[laugh]

it would have been to buy the hogue stock and bull barrel combo.

i have the stock trigger on mine and have toyed with the idea to replacing it... but then again, no.

if you want cheap to shoot, stick with .22LR...

my whole set up has cost me

total cost after 200 rounds was
-10/22 $199.99 +tax
-hogue stock $115 after shipping
-200 rounds of CCI-mini-mag $15.99

PLUS:
-harris bipod $67
-500 rounds of American Eagle .22LR $21.99
-butler creek magazine $16.99
-butler creek target barrel $119

As you can see, it kinda adds up...

Yea, I have noticed how quickly it will add up! I did think about picking up the combo barrel/stock - but Ive had my eyes set on a specific barrel for a while. Also, I was able to pick up my Hogue stock for 65 shipped - so it looks like I saved a decent chunk of change there.

Mr Twigg - I do plan on atttending an Appleseed when this gun is done/a scheduled event pops up that works for me! Thats probably one of the main reasons for building this; I could probably swing an Appleseed in .223 - but the 7mm would bust the bank!

If you go the .17 route I'd stick with the HMR. Myself, I'd stay with .22.

No on the bipod, you can be more accurate with just a sling.

Come to an Appleseed and we'll show you how ! (Shameless plug .)

To go the 17HMR route, you need to find a 10/22 Magnum receiver.

The standard 10/22 receiver can handle the 17HM2. You will need to get a 17HM2-specific bolt if you decide to go this route. They are heavier I believe to absorb additional recoil energy.

Steve

Hi Cooper, sounds like that's going to be a great build. I have a similar build that is already complete.

DSC01330.jpg

Hogue Stock
Green Mountain 20" S/S bull barrel
DNZ optics mount( wouldn't use anything else on a 10/22)
Mueller APV
Harris 1A2-BRM Bipod 6-9"
Ruger Sling(not pictured)

It's an absolute blast to shoot, a complete tack driver to say the least.

Hi Cooper, sounds like that's going to be a great build. I have a similar build that is already complete.

Hogue Stock
Green Mountain 20" S/S bull barrel
DNZ optics mount( wouldn't use anything else on a 10/22)
Mueller APV
Harris 1A2-BRM Bipod 6-9"
Ruger Sling(not pictured)

It's an absolute blast to shoot, a complete tack driver to say the least.

nice! mine will have a similar scope soon [wink]

i went "all black" to be evil [laugh]

nice! mine will have a similar scope soon [wink]

i went "all black" to be evil [laugh]

mmm my AR will be all black, i'll take that out if i need something that looks evil. :)

You're gonna love that build, definitely go with the DNZ low mount for the APV, it puts the scope about 1mm from the barrel, couldn't be any closer without touching. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom