10/22 bolt hold open

I've filed down my bolt hold open but still not happy with performance.

• While firing the bolt will sometimes hold open even with rounds in the mag
  • bolt will not release unless the empty rifle is tilted muzzle up or I depress the mag button to simulate a mag in the rifle

I've seen others release the bolt at any angle and with or without a mag in the rifle.

Has anyone run into similar issues? Have I filed enough or maybe too much material from the part?

Thanks

I've filed down my bolt hold open but still not happy with performance.

• While firing the bolt will sometimes hold open even with rounds in the mag
  • bolt will not release unless the empty rifle is tilted muzzle up or I depress the mag button to simulate a mag in the rifle

I've seen others release the bolt at any angle and with or without a mag in the rifle.

Has anyone run into similar issues? Have I filed enough or maybe too much material from the part?

Thanks

I don't think the modification would cause this - I've done it incorrectly, and the result has been that the bolt would still not release with just the bolt handle, but would require manipulation of the bolt lock like an unmodified part.

With the symptoms you describe, and assuming the rifle didn't act like that before the bolt lock modification, I would check the bolt lock spring to make sure it was installed correctly. I've screwed that up, too....

Keep us posted.

With the symptoms you describe, and assuming the rifle didn't act like that before the bolt lock modification, I would check the bolt lock spring to make sure it was installed correctly...
Keep us posted.

Winner - I gently put a touch more round on the hole mostly to smooth out the surface.

Then properly installed the spring - viola! Perfect

Now if my shooting would follow suit I'll be happy - at least I'm fixing the problems in front of the recoil pad...

Bring the rifle and the problems behind the recoil pad to an Appleseed Shoot and we'll fix that right up.

Now Sir - I expect you to remember the tall skinny-ish guy on saturday who had to leave due to the solar glare...We shook hands as I thanked you for your time and attention.

Respectfully,
The only lefty dragging wood on the line that day

Yes, I do. Didn't remember your screen name.

I swear I'm going to start off New England shoots by asking everyone who's on NES to raise a paw.

Yes, I do. Didn't remember your screen name.

I swear I'm going to start off New England shoots by asking everyone who's on NES to raise a paw.

I actually considered that as well, or having my screen name under my real name on my nametag. No one else was doing it, so I thought there was an unsaid rule that I would be breaking if I did.

I used my NES nametag from the truck shoot at the Appleseeds I've been to. Worked well, although the VT shoots weren't covered with NESers like, say, Harvard was!

Back
Top Bottom