10,000-round limit: how do you allocate pistol vs rifle ammo?

I brushed up on Massachusetts ammo storage regs today and realized that the limit for storage of center-fire ammo without a permit is 10,000 rounds. I had mistakenly thought it was 10,000 rounds each of pistol and rifle centerfire ammo. I'm still well under the permit limit for centerfire ammo, but I'm closer to it than I thought I was.

So if you want a good ammo stash, but you don't want so much that you need a storage permit, how would you allocate your 10,000 centerfire rounds between pistol and rifle cartridges?

Just get a storage permit. I don't think its a bad idea to have the fire department on board so there are no surprises in case of a fire.

I brushed up on Massachusetts ammo storage regs today and realized that the limit for storage of center-fire ammo without a permit is 10,000 rounds. I had mistakenly thought it was 10,000 rounds each of pistol and rifle centerfire ammo. I'm still well under the permit limit for centerfire ammo, but I'm closer to it than I thought I was.

So if you want a good ammo stash, but you don't want so much that you need a storage permit, how would you allocate your 10,000 centerfire rounds between pistol and rifle cartridges?

Is that per person? Per residence? Per location in a residence? I'm nowhere near that limit on my ammo combined, but I guess I should research in case I ever get the Dillon 1050 press...

-Cuz.

Is that per person? Per residence? Per location in a residence? I'm nowhere near that limit on my ammo combined, but I guess I should research in case I ever get the Dillon 1050 press...

-Cuz.

I ran this one by my Fire Chief.

The limit is by "address", so even if you have out-buildings the limits still hold.

As stated, the OP should just get the powder/ammo permit and not sweat it . . . for a little while. [wink]

Considering what we go thru to get the LTC, even on renewals, the ammo/powder permit is a cakewalk.

One issue IIRC, is if you live in a muliti-unit dwelling then you're restricted to 2,000 rounds and a whole lot less powder & primers.

No doubt there'll be an expert along shortly to clarify things.
And I ment that in a good way.

I'm getting close to the mark of needing to get the permit. My big concern though is if the Fire Chief wants to inspect my house as part of the permit process. If I say no, I just became a person of interest that I'm sure will get communicated to my local LEs.

One issue IIRC, is if you live in a muliti-unit dwelling then you're restricted to 2,000 rounds and a whole lot less powder & primers.

That is bad news for me. I am not a happy camper[angry]

Who's counting?

This has to be one of the dumbest rules, laws in existance

1000 rounds of 22 or 1000 rounds .500 magnum???????

the .500 magnum has 20x more powder in it!

So with that you should be able to store 20,000 rounds of .22 for every 1000 .500 magnums.

Both would have the same BANG in a fire then.

Just dumb. Very simple. just another way to chip away at gun rights.

Just ranting.

I am going to poke it in the eye rather than stab it but here it is:

10,000 rounds, have to split between pistol and rifle

Depends on what your ammo stash is for and what do you shoot.

If its for the end of the world I would say 8000 rounds of rifle and 2000 rounds of pistol being that your rife would be your main weapon for survival. You don't want to come withing a 100yrds of a zombie.

If it's for every day shooting at the range, I would say an even split if you shoot a good mix and it is not a car shoot or pumpkin shoot week.

For me I would max out based on what I own and shoot. If its a safe queen, I might have 100 rounds for it just to have on hand. If all I do with the rifle is hunt then maybe 500 rounds and all the rest pistol.

The answer is there is no real answer.

Im in the process of getting a permit,My fire dept basically has no clue how to do it. I have been waiting since Monday.I called back today and the Fire Prevention Offiecer still has not figured it out as tohow its done.

? on ammo storage limits per GOAL Website ?

Mark -

Just checking where you researched the rimfire/centerfire limit? I just checked GOAL's website and found the following:

527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers

1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers ...... etc., etc.

Website source is:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

Please note, I'm not trying to be an attorney here (nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)!

Can Jon Green chime in before we agree the limit is as per your research?

Thanks,

Chargogg

P.S. My answer to the question would be 9,000 centerfire to 1,000 rimfire!

Mark -

Just checking where you researched the rimfire/centerfire limit? I just checked GOAL's website and found the following:

527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers

1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers ...... etc., etc.

Website source is:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

Please note, I'm not trying to be an attorney here (nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)!

Can Jon Green chime in before we agree the limit is as per your research?

Thanks,

Chargogg

P.S. My answer to the question would be 9,000 centerfire to 1,000 rimfire!

does that mean I can have 10k rounds of centerfire AND 10k rounds of rimfire in my place without a permit??

Sorry for answering the wrong question!

Sorry Mike and Mark on answering the wrong question!

It's late, I'm going to bed!

Good night (morning)!

Chargogg

It's worse for primers.

I'd even place a fair wager that 98% of the reloaders in MA are "breaking the regs" in that regard, unless they bothered to get the permit. I've -never- met a single reloader that only had 1000 primers... just doesn't happen. [grin]

-Mike

I would also go with more rifle than pistol, somewhere in the 7000 rifle to 3000 pistol. Every SHTF scenario I can imagine would benefit more from rifle use than pistol. The majority of it would be split between 5.56 and 7.62x39, the pistol ammo would be mostly 9mm, fill the rest in with a few hundred rounds of various calibers and I'm confident I'd be okay. If I ever hit the lottery I'll let you know for sure.[wink]

One question WRT to the regulation, what is the penalty if one is found in violation?
While I don't wish to imply breaking the law is kosher, sometimes it is prudent to do a risk/benefit analysis.[wink]
Keep in mind, I've been fighting fires in a decent sized city for 11 years, and I can only think of one instance in my career where ammo was discharging in the fire building.

Incorrect. IIRC, the only limit on multifamily dwellings is that you can only have 2 pounds of powder. All other limits are the same.

I ran this one by my Fire Chief.

The limit is by "address", so even if you have out-buildings the limits still hold.

This is bad news for apartment dwellers.

Before one buys ammunition you have to survey all the other units to see what your cap will be.

Because fire chiefs worry about fire, units above and below are just like multiple stashes in a single dwelling home.

Doesn't Massachusetts classify and empty brass casing, and a unloaded bullet head as ammunition? So if are a reloader and have lots of brass and boxes of unloaded bullets you need to count those also.

Doesn't Massachusetts classify and empty brass casing, and a unloaded bullet head as ammunition? So if are a reloader and have lots of brass and boxes of unloaded bullets you need to count those also.

I do not believe this is correct. The ammo limit laws are driven by the fire codes. Reloader's need to worry about primer and powder limits and complete cartridges. Unloaded brass and bullets don't count.

Back
Top Bottom