1 month old Ruger rusting?

On December 21st I bought a new blued Ruger mkIII 22/45 from Four Seasons. It has had 500 rounds fired through it so far and with the exception of Remmington ammo sucking and giving me FTF somewhere between 30-40 times, it has been a great gun. However, the shiny silver colored metal piece (pardon my lack of firearm terminology. I believe its called the bolt but don't want to call it that cause I'm not sure) that covers the chamber has small speckles of rust starting to form on it. The gun is not left outside or in any excessively moist environment, but occasionally when I take it out to look at it it feels slightly moist. The gun is stored in an aluminum briefcase with foam in it. Is this small amount of moisture rusting the steel already? Isn't this piece stainless steel? Is there anything I can do to stop it from rusting more? How can I get rid of the rust that is already forming?

Thanks

Normally case storage is not a good idea but, I can almost promise you that what you are seeing is not as bad as it looks.

PM me if you need some help.

Definitely don't store in a case I had the same problem, didn't know how the case got damp - but as soon as I got a pistol safe and cleaned it up I have never seen any more rust at all.

Definitely take it apart, and clean it really well, be sure to oil it up and keep it dry.

You can get these, they work great. Kleen-Bore Pistol Gun Sock VCI Treated Polyester 13" Black, or any of the other silicon treated socks for storage.

Foam tends to hold mositure. Dont leave it in a case touching the foam if you can help it. A clean rag that has a light mist of gun oil around the gun will protect it. Either that or the treated paper tha is used many companies when the gun is shipped helps.

Isn't this piece stainless steel? Is there anything I can do to stop it from rusting more? How can I get rid of the rust that is already forming?

If it's blued, it ain't stainless steel.

Stop storing it in a safe and get a proper handgun safe.

Wipe it with with WD40 and a terry cloth.

..... However, the shiny silver colored metal piece (pardon my lack of firearm terminology. I believe its called the bolt but don't want to call it that cause I'm not sure) that covers the chamber has small speckles of rust starting to form on it.
Oil yer gun. Everywhere. 3in1 oil is better than nothing.
The gun is not left outside or in any excessively moist environment, but occasionally when I take it out to look at it it feels slightly moist. The gun is stored in an aluminum briefcase with foam in it. Is this small amount of moisture rusting the steel already?
The foam is holding moisture, which causes rust on steel. Open cell foam does this.
Isn't this piece stainless steel?
No
Is there anything I can do to stop it from rusting more?
Don't store it in a damp case.
How can I get rid of the rust that is already forming?

Thanks

A bit of fine (0000) steel wool dipped in ordinary motor oil will take off most of the surface rust without problems.
It may leave dark stains behind which would have to be removed by more aggressive polishing.

Jack

Use Bronze Wool or Brass wool, available at hardware and marine supply stores. It is softer than the steel 0000 wool. Get something softer than the metal you are trying to clean.

Give the gun a good cleaning with a liquid gun cleaning solution. This sometimes pulls oil out of the metal, even stainless. Make sure after you thoroughly clean, rinse and dry the gun, you re lubricate it generously on all exterior surfaces, and let it soak in overnight, maybe two days just wet from lubricant. After that clean the gun when you need to, wipe it off when your done, with a drop or two of oil and wipe it down with a flannel or cotten cloth.

I bet the last time you went to the range it was cold out and you didn't open it up at home and let it warm up in open air?

When you come home with a cold gun, the warmer moister air in your house condenses on the metal. If the gun can't breath the water stays there and does bad things.

In addition to what the others have said...both me and my father make metal rust for some reason, something to do with the oils in our skin. I've put rust on Sigs, a Glock (no, really), Colt, Remington, and many other brands, on parkerized, stainless steel, tenifer, and especially on blued steel. With carry guns, there's been some I would have to take rust off of every single day, even after very minimal handling. I simply cannot own a blued steel gun; the last one I did I had to handle it with rubber gloves on.

If you're like me, I don't know what to tell you other than your wallet will love you, but your options for firearms are pretty limited.

Stainless steel can be, and sometimes is, blued.

Cool, good to know, I never knew that.

First, stainless can and will rust so this is for all metals that are not coated.

Do not use steel wool.Steel wool puts particles of soft metal into the finish that will rust faster. Gun manufacturers used to give that nice brushed finish on stainless with a steel wire wheel they all rusted without treatment.

Stay away from aerosol cleaners. They cause rust.

Use Corrosion X as your lube and exterior finish coating. It is the only thing I have found that truly works. Google is your friend so you will find it there.

There is a corrosion X dealer or there was one on this forum but people come and go.

I bet the last time you went to the range it was cold out and you didn't open it up at home and let it warm up in open air?

When you come home with a cold gun, the warmer moister air in your house condenses on the metal. If the gun can't breath the water stays there and does bad things.

This.

Chris

First, stainless can and will rust so this is for all metals that are not coated.

Do not use steel wool.Steel wool puts particles of soft metal into the finish that will rust faster. Gun manufacturers used to give that nice brushed finish on stainless with a steel wire wheel they all rusted without treatment.

Stay away from aerosol cleaners. They cause rust.

Use Corrosion X as your lube and exterior finish coating. It is the only thing I have found that truly works. Google is your friend so you will find it there.

There is a corrosion X dealer or there was one on this forum but people come and go.

This too.

Chris

I use SYNTHETIC oil, specifically Militec-1, for protecting my gun after cleaning. It never dries out, and is the best kind of protection. No rust on my guns.

He is talking about the bolt on the MK111. Ruger doesn't blue the bolt.

Mine is.

Not my pic but this bolt is blued
ruger_mkiii_2.jpg

If your gun is blued I'd stay away from steel wool, it will take the blueing right off. Just saturate the thing in gun oil, it can't hurt it. Let it sit for a few days & whipe it off with a cotton cloth.
Also like others have said. Never store it in a closed foam case.

Back
Top Bottom