‘Paper Gun’ At School Prompts Suspension Of Philadelphia Girl

A Philadelphia fifth grader was suspended for having a paper gun at school. The little girl maintains she was chastised by staff and ridiculed by her peers. The child also claims that after the piece of paper that kind of resembled a gun was found, she was searched in front of the entire class. Critics who feel the teacher overreacted wonder if the educator was checking for paper bullets in the little girl’s pockets.

Melody Valentin was moved to tears when discussing the paper gun suspension during interviews. The Philadelphia fifth-grader attends Newlin Fell Elementary School. The child’s mother is still waiting on a response from the school over the matter, the New York Daily News notes.

Valentin had this to say during an interview with Fox 29 News:

“He [school official] yelled at me and said I shouldn’t have brought the gun to school and I kept telling him it was a paper gun, but he wouldn’t listen.”

Melody’s mom, Dianna Kelly, wants to know why a school official stood over her child and reportedly stated he should “call the cops” on her. The Newlin Fell Elementary School staffer also allegedly told the little girl she could be arrested.

The upset mother also noted that her daughter is having nightmares that the teacher is chasing her down the street. Melody has also been found in the bathroom crying during the early morning hours.

When detailing the harassment Melody Valentin stated she endured by her classmates, she noted she had been called a murderer. The somewhat gun-shaped paper had been made by her grandpa the day prior. When another student saw the folded piece of paper, he reportedly told school officials that Melody has a paper gun.

Do you think the school overreacted to the paper that resembled a gun?

http://www.inquisitr.com/492410/paper-gun-at-school-prompts-suspension-of-philadelphia-girl/

s-FIFTH-GRADER-PAPER-GUN-large.jpg

wow sad. turning our kids into "terrorist"

Last edited:
A Philadelphia fifth grader was suspended for having a paper gun at school. The little girl maintains she was chastised by staff and ridiculed by her peers. The child also claims that after the piece of paper that kind of resembled a gun was found, she was searched in front of the entire class. Critics who feel the teacher overreacted wonder if the educator was checking for paper bullets in the little girl’s pockets.

Melody Valentin was moved to tears when discussing the paper gun suspension during interviews. The Philadelphia fifth-grader attends Newlin Fell Elementary School. The child’s mother is still waiting on a response from the school over the matter, the New York Daily News notes.

Valentin had this to say during an interview with Fox 29 News:

“He [school official] yelled at me and said I shouldn’t have brought the gun to school and I kept telling him it was a paper gun, but he wouldn’t listen.”

Melody’s mom, Dianna Kelly, wants to know why a school official stood over her child and reportedly stated he should “call the cops” on her. The Newlin Fell Elementary School staffer also allegedly told the little girl she could be arrested.

The upset mother also noted that her daughter is having nightmares that the teacher is chasing her down the street. Melody has also been found in the bathroom crying during the early morning hours.

When detailing the harassment Melody Valentin stated she endured by her classmates, she noted she had been called a murderer. The somewhat gun-shaped paper had been made by her grandpa the day prior. When another student saw the folded piece of paper, he reportedly told school officials that Melody has a paper gun.

Do you think the school overreacted to the paper that resembled a gun?

easier to read in black not gray.

1000% over-reacting by the school. The parents should sue for the trauma they've inflicted on their daughter. The school system should pay for her therapy AFTER her record is cleared.

IMO, the teachers, and all other school officials need to take huge "chill pills" with things like this. Doing what they did, without a parent present, should be grounds for serious law suits and litigation against the school system. Until parents start doing that, and winning, the school systems will continue to torment children with impunity. They need to be shown that if you pull that kind of crap, you're going to pay up the ass for it.

IF that was my child (I'm single, no children so no chance there), I'd be going up one side of the school, down the other, then calling in a wrecking crew of lawyers to grape them all. I'd go medieval on their collective asses. Some biblical sh!t would be going on after that. If they did that to my niece or nephew, there would be hell to pay.

Not to mention isn't it against the law criminally to interrogate a child and threaten them with police for something thats not illegal? also, without a patent or lawyer present?

You guys are wrong! She deserved to be threatened with police action as I will bet it held more than 10 paper bullets.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I think you guys are missing the seriousness of what this child did. Do you realize that paper guns can go undetected my metal detectors? If al-Qaeda ever learned of these paper guns think of the consequences.

Does that mean straws and spitballs are going to be classified as high powered weapons?

All kidding aside people are starting to lose their minds.

How are these teachers getting away with this crap? If I were on the school committee I would have some serious questions in regards to the suitability of these teachers and any other staff that was involved. I know that if something like this happens to any child in my school district I will be at the next school committee meeting making their lives extremely difficult. These people work for us and their union can go **** themselves if they think they could shield these people for long.

Whoever the lady was that called in to AAF this morning talking about the Devil's and Linsky's new legislation...+1 for making it known to a broader audience than just NES.

remember those paper pop guns we used to make in elementary school by folding paper and then with a quick snap of the wrist you could make that loud popping sound?

Back
Top Bottom