zzzz

A quick internet search shows that a gentleman tried to take a gun thru a TSA checkpoint on March 24th. This is not a case of somebody with a properly checked firearm getting busted at Logan airport. This is a case of pure stupidity.

I have flown out of Logan with handguns in luggage many times. I have never had a "LTC check" or law enforcement called, though years ago I had to show Air Canada my paperwork to bring the guns into that country when I checked in for the flight.

Calling LE for a "legality check" seems to be a NY/NJ thing.

I have flown out of Logan with handguns in luggage many times. I have never had a "LTC check" or law enforcement called....
my experience also, and not just logan. but obviously never flying out of new york/new jersey. i've been accused of being stupid many times but in that situation...noooooo

my experience also, and not just logan. but obviously never flying out of new york/new jersey. i've been accused of being stupid many times but in that situation...noooooo
The interesting thing about NY is the practice is not confined to the NYC area airports, but seems to be common trhoughout the state.

i'm going off again...when i was shooting competitive handgun, flying around the country to big matches, maybe a dozen times a year with 3 or 4 handguns. the agent was so uninterested. just open the case and put your orange tag in, lock, hand over for check in. some people here think the ticket agent is going to gasp, jump away and dash to the hot line to the sp. man, not even close. i'd bet she had been through the procedure before, a lot. the funny part was they use to make you open the firearms case right there, in front of the hundred or so people behind you in line. you'd see those people straining their necks to see what was in the case that was holding up the line and that's when many times you heard the gasps and saw the odd person or two recoiling back. but it's been several years since i've flown with a firearm and i have no idea what the actual procedure is now.

i'm going off again...when i was shooting competitive handgun, flying around the country to big matches, maybe a dozen times a year with 3 or 4 handguns. the agent was so uninterested. just open the case and put your orange tag in, lock, hand over for check in. some people here think the ticket agent is going to gasp, jump away and dash to the hot line to the sp. man, not even close. i'd bet she had been through the procedure before, a lot. the funny part was they use to make you open the firearms case right there, in front of the hundred or so people behind you in line. you'd see those people straining their necks to see what was in the case that was holding up the line and that's when many times you heard the gasps and saw the odd person or two recoiling back. but it's been several years since i've flown with a firearm and i have no idea what the actual procedure is now.
At Logan? Basically the same, depending on the person. Sometimes they ask to see it. Sometimes they ask to see that it's cleared. Sometimes they give you the card and send you in your way.

A quick internet search shows that a gentleman tried to take a gun thru a TSA checkpoint on March 24th. This is not a case of somebody with a properly checked firearm getting busted at Logan airport. This is a case of pure stupidity.
I hope someone who is on Facebook shares that info on his page. This kind of fear mongering helps no one.

Some of the national instructors I've studied with will not fly through NY or NJ airports with guns. They fly into an adjacent state, and then drive into these two. I personally would love to see Pennsylvania annex the northern part of NJ, and the southern part of NY to create a safe transportation corridor between New England, and the rest of the country.

I go through with firearms at least 15-20 times per year and never once ever asked for my Mass License and the same for every other state I’ve flown out of (exception are the communist states of CT, NJ, NY, CA)

Some of the national instructors I've studied with will not fly through NY or NJ airports with guns. They fly into an adjacent state, and then drive into these two. I personally would love to see Pennsylvania annex the northern part of NJ, and the southern part of NY to create a safe transportation corridor between New England, and the rest of the country.
NY and NJ aren't MA. Flying with checked firearms isn't trying to carry through the TSA screening...

I fly in and out of Logan several times a year with firearms. I was never asked for my LTC except for one time. It was in 2017, shortly after the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting. I flew into Boston with, I believe, American Airlines. When I landed my bag never came out at the baggage claim. I went to the American baggage office and two troopers were standing there next to my bag. They asked if I had a firearm in my bag and asked for my LTC. So clearly the airline communicated with MSP that my bag contained a firearm. Not sure what would’ve happened to an out of state resident without a MA LTC. I’ve flown American since then with no issues.

I have flown out of Logan with handguns in luggage many times. I have never had a "LTC check" or law enforcement called, though years ago I had to show Air Canada my paperwork to bring the guns into that country when I checked in for the flight.

Calling LE for a "legality check" seems to be a NY/NJ thing.
Ditto.

So far, the biggest "problem" I've had checking guns at airports were agents doing the paperwork who wanted to talk about guns. Most recently, at PBI the guy wanted my advice about problems he was having with his Glock. At EYW, the agent got excited when he saw my pistol, saying that he had the same gun, hadn't shot it much, and wanted to talk about it. All this while folks in the line behind us were queuing up. I guess these guys get bored.

Ditto.

So far, the biggest "problem" I've had checking guns at airports were agents doing the paperwork who wanted to talk about guns. Most recently, at PBI the guy wanted my advice about problems he was having with his Glock. At EYW, the agent got excited when he saw my pistol, saying that he had the same gun, hadn't shot it much, and wanted to talk about it. All this while folks in the line behind us were queuing up. I guess these guys get bored.
Younger TSA baggage agent at TF Green/RI running baggage scanner takes out my Infinity. Young guy asks older guy what to do - older guy responds with "No problem, he has the tag .... that's an SVI but I do my builds on Caspian frames".

Last edited:
More unjustified fear mongering. Yes, FOPA covers airline travel. Any attorney who claims otherwise is a moron. FOPA requires that you transport your firearm in accordance with FOPA guidelines — unloaded, in a locked case. Carrying a loaded firearm concealed on your person or carry-on through a security check at Logan airport is not in accordance with FOPA.

I fly in and out of Logan several times a year with firearms. I was never asked for my LTC except for one time. It was in 2017, shortly after the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting. I flew into Boston with, I believe, American Airlines. When I landed my bag never came out at the baggage claim. I went to the American baggage office and two troopers were standing there next to my bag. They asked if I had a firearm in my bag and asked for my LTC. So clearly the airline communicated with MSP that my bag contained a firearm. Not sure what would’ve happened to an out of state resident without a MA LTC. I’ve flown American since then with no issues.
This where where knowing the basics is not good enough.

You obviously cannot STFU as the bag tag may be coded (one airline used a string of FFFF.....) or noted in the computer, so you're not getting anywhere with "I exercise my right to remain silent, am I free to go?". But, absent an LTC, you would need to use phrases like "Continuous and uninterrupted to an out of state destination" rather than "Visiting my brother's family in Chelsea".

It's like carry on school grounds - subtle words can screw you. Imagine you are changing a tire and a helpful officer sees what is obviously a handgun case in the trunk. Answer "That has been in the locked case the entire time you are on school grounds" and you have a solid defense if you are charged. Answer "I know I could not carry it on school property so I unholstered it and locked in the case once I pulled into the school parking lot to change my tire" and you have admitted to carrying "on your person" and basically confessed to violating 269§10j. I have seen one case dropped without even so much as a CWOF, and heard of others, due to the lack of the defendant meeting the "on one's person" clause in 269§10j [usual discussion about suitability incorporated by reference as if enumerated in full]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom