• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zip-Loc Vacuum Sealer

So, I'm generally a skeptical shopper - especially when it comes to supermarket gadgets. A long lost gift card and a trip to Price Chopper however, had me picking up a a Zip-Loc Vacuum Sealer kit. It was on sale and technically free, so I figured: "What the heck". I bought the kit with a few free bags included and a box of two quart and gallon vacuum bags. the whole kit-n-kaboodle was a little over 12-smackers. If you're not familiar with it, the Zip-Loc Vacuum Sealer, it's a syringe type device which when used with the special vacuum bags, manually draws the air out of what you're trying to seal up. I haven't read any reviews, so my experience is strictly my own.

My wife had picked several quarts of wild blueberries, (yum) - we prefer the small wild ones to the huge farm grown variety. Anyway, I filled a small vacuum bag with blueberries and proceeded to manually pump the air out of the bag and voila! It sealed perfectly - or so I thought. Within a few hours in the freezer, it came undone. Disappointed, I took the bag out and discovered that I way overfilled it - apparently, I paid no attenton to the directions, or the convenient fill-line they add to the bag...dummy. So, I tried again with fewer blueberries and it worked perfectly. Three days in the freezer and all three packages are still sealed. I also experimented with the gallon bags and sealed up some dried fruit, fresh lettuce from the garden, a first aid kit, fire starting supplies, ammo, batteries and some survival food, (Cliff bar, tuna packet, hard candy, Spam single serve, tea bag, sugar and rice). Works like a charm.

I'm sure a traditional vacuum sealer is more efficient, but the cheap and handy Zip-Loc system seems to do the trick.

Interesting. Did you see that unit at the PC in Pittsfield? I haven't seen it at the Great barrington store, and would like to take a look. I'm also eyeing this vacuum sealer from ULine as an alternative to the Foodsaver.
http://sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html
I think it'll work on mylar, too.

Price Chopper in Lee of all places - the worlds largest convenience store. Trying to navigate around that place with all the tourists rushing to get to Tanglewood, is like swimming blindfolded into a kelp field. The only downside I see to this so far is that you must buy the Zip-Loc bags - can't see a way to use it on anything else. Other than that, for 8-bucks, it's pretty damned handy...

Price Chopper in Lee of all places - the worlds largest convenience store. Trying to navigate around that place with all the tourists rushing to get to Tanglewood, is like swimming blindfolded into a kelp field. The only downside I see to this so far is that you must buy the Zip-Loc bags - can't see a way to use it on anything else. Other than that, for 8-bucks, it's pretty damned handy...

I'll check it out next time through. I gotta get to Steve's for a haircut anyway. But I hate going into that crowded joint ... you're likely to get your produce squeezed.

Reynolds makes one, a hand held model that runs on batteries. I was lucky enough to get one for free - they were doing a promotion at Downtown Crossing in Boston.

I agree that you have to pay attention to the fill lines, though.

You can unseal, pull out a portion of the contents and then reseal if you want. But they discourage you from reusing the bags. I've found the bags are not much more expensive than the regular zip-seal bags.

Back
Top Bottom