Zimbardo Prison Study, Authority and Obedience

I was passing through a detail today and the cop there was giving me a long look. Long enough that I gave a little nod and wave as I went by...i look in the rearview mirror and the guy's still watching me, even as I drive out of sight.

really, buddy? you don't have to smile or act goofy, an acknowledgement nod would have been fine. Sorry I overstepped my bonds of serfdom.

He was all tacticooled out, sunglasses, BDUs tucked into his boots, he looked like he was ready for trouble.....at his tree trimming detail.
I have met plenty of great cops, but those who seemed overbearing were tooled out like this guy. So this there a connection?

the 1975 Zimbardo Prison Study:
http://www.prisonexp.org/
http://www.simplypsychology.org/zimbardo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

24 students, half assigned to be guards, half assigned to be prisoners. In a nutshell, the students internalized their roles. "guards" became abusive, "prisoners" acted like real prisoners and the study was ended early when an observer questioned it's morality.

The researchers provided the guards with wooden batons in order to establish their status,[5] clothing similar to that of an actual prison guard (khaki shirt and pants from a local military surplus store), and mirrored sunglasses to prevent eye contact. Prisoners wore uncomfortable ill-fitting smocks and stocking caps, as well as a chain around one ankle. Guards were instructed to call prisoners by their assigned numbers, sewn on their uniforms, instead of by name.

Most of the participants said they had felt involved and committed. The research had felt "real" to them. One guard said, "I was surprised at myself. I made them call each other names and clean the toilets out with their bare hands. I practically considered the prisoners cattle and I kept thinking I had to watch out for them in case they tried something." Another guard said "Acting authoritatively can be fun. Power can be a great pleasure." And another: "... during the inspection I went to Cell Two to mess up a bed which a prisoner had just made and he grabbed me, screaming that he had just made it and that he was not going to let me mess it up. He grabbed me by the throat and although he was laughing I was pretty scared. I lashed out with my stick and hit him on the chin although not very hard, and when I freed myself I became angry."’

to me, there are some parallels here, I was wondering if anyone else saw them.....dehumanization of citizens (we're all potential terrorists?) And the development of a military mindset through military apparel and gear.

If you're still with me I'd also suggest you check out the Milgram experiment, in which subjects would apply increasingly painful "electric shocks" to a third party simply because an authority figure directed them to do so.

The video on that popped up on another thread here on NES recently - definitely worth the watch:

- - - Updated - - -

Not for nothing - but this experiment details the core reason why the founding fathers were against having a big government and a standing army.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, but maybe it was sunny out and his organization's uniform policies dictate blousing his pants? Maybe there was something unique about your car that distracted him from hours of monotony watching cars drive past?

Only playing devil's advocate here, but things aren't always as sinister as they seem. If I'm at work and see a nice boat go by, or one that looks interesting, or otherwise amuses me, I turn ad look at it too. Kind of a human nature thing.

I was passing through a detail today and the cop there was giving me a long look. Long enough that I gave a little nod and wave as I went by...i look in the rearview mirror and the guy's still watching me, even as I drive out of sight.

Maybe your 'stache reminded him of someone he still thinks about.

reno911miami9.jpg

Just a thought, but maybe it was sunny out and his organization's uniform policies dictate blousing his pants? Maybe there was something unique about your car that distracted him from hours of monotony watching cars drive past?

Only playing devil's advocate here, but things aren't always as sinister as they seem. If I'm at work and see a nice boat go by, or one that looks interesting, or otherwise amuses me, I turn ad look at it too. Kind of a human nature thing.

I see what you're saying, it was a stare though, it didn't feel like a "look". I guess I can't describe it better than that. It felt like an attempt to be intimidating, no movement of the face at all. I guess he could have been a robot.

I only mentioned the BDUs because it was unusual, I think the other guy there waving traffic by had straight up uniform pants with black shoes or sneakers. The whole look was odd, it was almost a caricature.

it sure wasn't my car. I'll leave it at that [smile]

Maybe your 'stache reminded him of someone he still thinks about.

Well, I was just coming back from the Blue Oyster Club.

7530906262_179eabb658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom