• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zero Hour Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volume, I'd rather sell a boat load of $1k colt 6920's than only a few $1500-2000 dollar of the same. I'd want to be known as the cheapest FFL around and have a line out the door. Ffls all over the country sell for these prices, why can't these guys??

Every business owner chooses their path. High volume, low margin or high margin, low volume. Or something in the middle. If it works they make money. If it does not work they lose money.

The way we as consumers vote is with our hard earned dollars. But I'd be careful of judging their business practices unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Alex should have changed the name after he took over, at least that way people could judge him for HIS practices versus the prior ownership.

Only place I know of that doesn't give you all the mags with a gen 4 glock. Friend of mine was about to get a gen 4 glock 19 last week and when I asked where the other 2 mags are they said that was only a promotion when the gen 4 first came out. I told them that is bs and a gen 3 comes with 2 and the gen4 comes with 3. Then all pissy they ask me if I ownd a gun shop. Left there and went to a different shop and got the gun 30.00 cheaper with the 3 mags.
After asking around on this I find out they take out the extra mags and resell them.

Oh Ya I almost forgot about the guy at the counter complaining that his brand new FNH was catching the slide stop on every round. The employee said that's normal and gave him a box of Golden Saber hollow points for free and said just shoot these and that should fix it.
The place is a joke.

Last edited:
During the scare, everyone was taking chances...had the the proposed federal gun laws actually gone through, wasrs and AR's would be worth their weight in gold right now. It wasn't just the dealers marking prices up, Century Arms, their distributors and everyone in between was marking things up. Zero hour at that time was probably paying over $1000 to get those wasrs.

That is completely untrue.

At the wholesale level things have not bumped much at all since late 2012. The same could be said for the 08 scare.
The problem was that the distributors couldn't meet supply. The big dealers got their stock orders and made huge mark ups.
The small dealers got shut out and some went out of business because they didn't have any product to sell.
And when they finally did get product, the market was on its way to a glut.

Wholesale cost of bulk XM193 for example never went above $300 /1k

To put a "today" spin on it. A 50 round box of Blazer .22 sells for $1.81 wholesale at a major distributor, in a quantity of 1. That means there are additional discounts applied as quantities go up. Wholesale on a 500 round brick is a shade over $16.

Do you see where I'm going? The markup is ALL at the retail level.

Frankly I don't hold it against anyone. I see it as their way to make up for the $65 margin M&Ps they've had to sell over the years.
But lets call it what it is. Dealers taking advantage of a temporary (and too often repeated) market fluctuation.

Also, if wholesale prices had gone up much the "invisible hand" (google it) would have come into play and more manufacturers would have entered the market. But it didn't so they didn't.

Don

Every business owner chooses their path. High volume, low margin or high margin, low volume. Or something in the middle. If it works they make money. If it does not work they lose money.

The way we as consumers vote is with our hard earned dollars. But I'd be careful of judging their business practices unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Trust me, I'm not saying i could run a business better than anyone, just saying id rather have a thread started about my shop for having the best prices and no BS sales pitches to keep guns flying off the shelves, I see more complaints than positives. Yes, he can do what he wants, it's his business, i get it. But if other shops in the US can sell for these prices and make money.......
If an FFL owner in mass said there is a perfect reason for higher prices than the rest of the country i'll shut my mouth, but until then, i'll shop out of state.

Mass gun shops use the convoluted laws to their advantage, some will lie and tell u "you cant transfer AR's into this state, Blah blah blah etc etc" or "so n so is gonna ban this gun blah blah blah, you gotta buy now" This is what pisses people off, as some have mentioned earlier in this thread, honesty also sells along with good prices. Now a days with forums such as NES you don't even have to get off your couch and you can find out whether it's worth your while to go take a 30-45 min drive to a gun shop, word of mouth is essential to a business and so far i'm sure plenty of people will remember this thread and not even bother to head over.

For the most part I do like the guys in Zero Hour, but the prices will keep me out until i hear otherwise.

Last edited:
Only place I know of that doesn't give you all the mags with a gen 4 glock. Friend of mine was about to get a gen 4 glock 19 last week and when I asked where the other 2 mags are they said that was only a promotion when the gen 4 first came out. I told them that is bs and a gen 3 comes with 2 and the gen4 comes with 3. Then all pissy they ask me if I ownd a gun shop. Left there and went to a different shop and got the gun 30.00 cheaper with the 3 mags.
After asking around on this I find out they take out the extra mags and resell them.

That's pretty scummy if that's what they're doing.

New mags? As a resident of the PRM, I sure wouldn't want any new mags that come with Gen 4 Glock.

New mags? As a resident of the PRM, I sure wouldn't want any new mags that come with Gen 4 Glock.

The mags were most likely 10 round mags, or you wouldn't want even one.

Glock makes every gun that can come with a mag holding more than 10 rounds in 2 SKUs. One comes with standard capacity mags. The other SKU comes with 3 cripplemags.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, I'm not saying i could run a business better than anyone, just saying id rather have a thread started about my shop for having the best prices and no BS sales pitches to keep guns flying off the shelves, I see more complaints than positives. Yes, he can do what he wants, it's his business, i get it. But if other shops in the US can sell for these prices and make money.......
If an FFL owner in mass said there is a perfect reason for higher prices than the rest of the country i'll shut my mouth, but until then, i'll shop out of state.

Mass gun shops use the convoluted laws to their advantage, some will lie and tell u "you cant transfer AR's into this state, Blah blah blah etc etc" or "so n so is gonna ban this gun blah blah blah, you gotta buy now" This is what pisses people off, as some have mentioned earlier in this thread, honesty also sells along with good prices. Now a days with forums such as NES you don't even have to get off your couch and you can find out whether it's worth your while to go take a 30-45 min drive to a gun shop, word of mouth is essential to a business and so far i'm sure plenty of people will remember this thread and not even bother to head over.

For the most part I do like the guys in Zero Hour, but the prices will keep me out until i hear otherwise.

You have kindof touched on two topics. One is how a gun shop chooses to price their items. Its perfectly reasonable to charge high prices and let the market work things out.

Its quite another thing to lie to justify your high prices.

Been there and bought from them all sorts of things. Pricey? maybe. But I could not get those items anywhere else.... no I am not a big gun show fan, so yes it is convenience shopping at a price. Not for everybody, but almost went today. The traffic on 24 pissed me off and I gave up.

I agree. I posted in another thread about them because I recently made a purchase from them. They are a little higher than other stores, but they have unique items for sale, and carry a lot of stuff your big-box stores won't touch. So yes, you do pay for the convenience. But if you're looking for a standard Beretta 92fs/inox or a M&P, then no, they are high. Want a 96fs inox, you'll find it there, but it's $50 higher than on gunbroker, etc.

Everything they have in the store can be had online at a greatly reduced price even after transfer. I refuse to Bend over to the senseless "mass markup", that's why I always walk out empty handed.

They wouldn't do an AR lower transfer for me a few years ago unless it was a complete rifle. They were also affiliated with Ames at the time. That told me everything I needed to know about that shop.

THAT IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE!
I am the owner and NEVER said that to ANYONE. In state is $35 OUT of state is $50.
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms
508-584-0291
Or feel free to visit

Sir,
Under this new ownership, I'd invite you to come to the store again and see if there is a difference from your last experience under the prior ownership.
We are no longer affiliated with Ames BTW.
Thank you
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Everything they have in the store can be had online at a greatly reduced price even after transfer. I refuse to Bend over to the senseless "mass markup", that's why I always walk out empty handed.

I doubt you have been here lately.
Our prices are competitive and if we are higher on something it's because we do not have the buying power of some other stores.
Please come and visit us again and address your concerns.
Thank you
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Alex should have changed the name after he took over, at least that way people could judge him for HIS practices versus the prior ownership.
You are correct, sir!
I should have changed that damn name. I didn't realize how many dark clouds were following that Zero Hour Arms trade name.
I have worked my butt off trying to clean up the name, the shop, the selection and the crew. I have a fantastic lively staff that is knowledgeable now. I have a GROWING client base and have renewed relationships with LE agencies. My staff and I are doing everything we can to shake the negativeness associated with the prior owner. I know we are not perfect but I assure you that we are on the correct path to service our growing customer base. Soon Zero Hour Arms will be associated with nothing but positiveness!
Respectfully,
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Sir,
"otherwise"
I ask that you please visit the shop and see for yourself.
Some things do cost more, somethings less. It's hard to compete with online stores that have no tangible concerns such as staff, electric bills, etc.
I look forward to speaking with you face to face so perhaps I can better shape the store to customers needs.
Thank you,
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

You know a Marine by the name of Brendan M by any chance, he told me a while back a friend of his was looking to buy ZHA?

Just curious

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Mike,
My thanks for your service. That name doesn't ring a bell right now, sorry.
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Nah I'll back Alex here I've got 3 guns there in the past year all came with the right number mags the employees not knowing their stuff tho is a different story. Was told I couldn't throw a mag pull stock on my AR unless it was fully extended. Total lie it's cool as long as the oal is like 30.5 in. So yes the guys there are cool as long as you know your stuff Alex is a nice guy. The biggest pain in the ass is the road it's on its like driving off road to get there

Guys, let's give this guy a break. Since the business is under new ownership the locals should give it another try. I'm in NH and have no skin in the game but; in the present climate we can use all the good gun shops we can get, no matter where they're located.

Just my .02

What ever happened to "I don't know but I can get an answer for you" in the customer service world? I imagine its hard to find good gun shop help based off what I have seen pretty much everywhere but single person operations.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Was there today... Not impressed, most of the time i'm not when it comes to Mass gun shops anyway so im not shocked, everything is high priced. $799 for an 92FS, really??. Gen 4"s were $675, gen 3's were in the $700 range. Scar 17 -$3k, can be had for $500 less online.

They have a great selection of AR's, but not worth it, cheaper online even after shipping and transfer. Problem is most people are fooled to think its "illegal" to transfer Ar's into mass so they are fooled into paying these stupid prices.

Sir,
You do understand that our rifle prices include MA compliance which costs me time and money via staff hours and parts.
Additionally, online retailers often times do not have to pay staff, electric bills, heat, etc to the same level a physical store does. Also, good luck getting customer service when you have an issue with your online purchase.
Some of our items are priced a little higher, some a little lower and some incorrectly! Human error happens sometimes, our apologies.
Respectfully.
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

I met them when they were at one of my clubs demoing guns for a local LEO.

The stuff was neat and well put together, and they seemed happy to chat with most of us.
I even got to try some of the toys they brought.

Don,
Thank you for recognizing us and letting the public know of your experiences with us. I know there is some negative stigma still associated with the name "Zero Hour Arms" & I am working tirelessly to change that so that nothing but positive feedback and experiences will be the new normal for MY Zero Hour Arms.

Thank you once again, sir
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

There all over the place I think, some stuff is priced pretty decent, some is ridiculous.
Eh..."ridiculous"
I appreciate the feedback. Can you tell me what you observed as being ridiculously overpriced? It may be something that is as simple as my staff hit the wrong numbers and I need to correct it.
Thanks!
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Alex is the owner. He's a good guy. He is selling guns! Why should he lower his price?
Sir,
Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, if something is loony priced I need to identify it and see if it is an error or if I was overcharged by my distributors.
Thanks!
Oleg aka Alex
Zero Hour Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom