• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zero Hour Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just called them today (haven't done so for a while now) and learned that Sheppard is no longer there. Anyone know when they changed ownership and how the store is compared to it under his ownership?

Thanks!

About a two years ago I think. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.
Last time I was in there (two months ago) I was told their transfer fee is $100 (everywhere else $25-$40), and when I asked why ... because someone on the cape does it for $200 and transfers are about to become illegal.
They have a good selection of pre-ban and interesting stuff ... but for prices I don't want to pay.

Last edited:
The guy who owns it now is a Russian (I think) guy. Some things are priced a little more reasonable. There have been a few gems in there and I like to go through and peek from time to time. There prices on some other things are still high though. Pre-ban tech 9 for 1400 bucks... I sold them a gun four years ago (regretted it) and bought it back last year on Gunbroker for 30 bucks less:) Staff are nice enough though.

didn't know they changed hands. Bought some stuff couple years ago and thought they were ok.

Then again i'm not a big gun guy so maybe better deals are had elsewhere.

Before Sandyhook I thought the place was great, after the big scare they never dropped their prices. They had an FNP tactical for $2500, i giggled and shook my head. They have lots of nice AR's and what not, but prices were outrageous.

I never got attitude from anyone there, they were always nice and liked to talk guns, but prices have kept me out of there for a long time.

Jim Shepard is long gone. He sold the place almost 2 years ago. Alex is the current owner, he and Brian run the business day to day.

Last time I wAs there, few months ago, they wanted $50 for a preban 30 AR mag. I asked if he was kidding, he wasn't. Picked one up at a show for $20. Haven't been back since.

I was in there awhile back they were asking $70 for a 325 round box of 22. I like their inventory hate their prices.

Been there and bought from them all sorts of things. Pricey? maybe. But I could not get those items anywhere else.... no I am not a big gun show fan, so yes it is convenience shopping at a price. Not for everybody, but almost went today. The traffic on 24 pissed me off and I gave up.

Their prices are a little high but you can definitely negotiate with them. I made out pretty well there once. Took two days of negations but I did quite well. As far as the guys that used to work there they are now at Gartman Arms on Route 1 in Wrentham just past Bass Pro. Place is all redone and pretty sweet. Check it out.

Been there too! Agree very sweet setup. Recommend checking them out, some nice milsurp as well as contemporary stuff.

I may swing by today just for the hell of it, haven't been there in a while.

**** that place. The bigger older guy lied to my face at his friends shop to try to make a sale a few years back. I was on pre-deployment leave and was told they were about to ban XYZ in Mass and I needed to buy right now or I couldn't get one when I got back. These clowns are half the reasons MA gun owners are so confused. Nevermind their prices. **** you buddy, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Mike

**** that place. The bigger older guy lied to my face at his friends shop to try to make a sale a few years back. I was on pre-deployment leave and was told they were about to ban XYZ in Mass and I needed to buy right now or I couldn't get one when I got back. These clowns are half the reasons MA gun owners are so confused. Nevermind their prices. **** you buddy, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Mike

I agree....They did the same thing to me (minus the pre-deployment leave). I was told WASR-10's would never be under $1300 again due to the upcoming bans and that I needed to buy one that day...also that SW MP's are terrible and that I should only buy Glocks. [bs1]

I've been there a few times. I liked the Russian guy but the guy that did the paperwork, an older guy that I believe owned the dog seemed like a douche to me. Reminded me of a used car salesman

Is he selling barrel shrouds? You know, the shoulder thing that goes up.

I agree....They did the same thing to me (minus the pre-deployment leave). I was told WASR-10's would never be under $1300 again due to the upcoming bans and that I needed to buy one that day...also that SW MP's are terrible and that I should only buy Glocks. [bs1]

During the scare, everyone was taking chances...had the the proposed federal gun laws actually gone through, wasrs and AR's would be worth their weight in gold right now. It wasn't just the dealers marking prices up, Century Arms, their distributors and everyone in between was marking things up. Zero hour at that time was probably paying over $1000 to get those wasrs.

Was there today... Not impressed, most of the time i'm not when it comes to Mass gun shops anyway so im not shocked, everything is high priced. $799 for an 92FS, really??. Gen 4"s were $675, gen 3's were in the $700 range. Scar 17 -$3k, can be had for $500 less online.

They have a great selection of AR's, but not worth it, cheaper online even after shipping and transfer. Problem is most people are fooled to think its "illegal" to transfer Ar's into mass so they are fooled into paying these stupid prices.

I met them when they were at one of my clubs demoing guns for a local LEO.

The stuff was neat and well put together, and they seemed happy to chat with most of us.
I even got to try some of the toys they brought.

Don

I always love seeing what they have in the store. Pistols are priced ok over all, pre ban mags for either rifles or handguns are priced loony high, and pre ban rifles are priced high enough for them to stay on the walls. If you want a preban rifle, they will have one, but the prices are also why they still have them [laugh]

Alex is the owner. He's a good guy. He is selling guns! Why should he lower his price?

Alex is the owner. He's a good guy. He is selling guns! Why should he lower his price?

Volume, I'd rather sell a boat load of $1k colt 6920's than only a few $1500-2000 dollar of the same. I'd want to be known as the cheapest FFL around and have a line out the door. Ffls all over the country sell for these prices, why can't these guys??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom