Yugo M90a build

Just got a kit from Bocefus yesterday and spent a few yours last night getting the cosmoline off. Man, are there a lot of nooks and crannies on an AK or what? It appears to have been only test fired a few times. Anyway, it cleaned up pretty nice:

Yugo%20M90a%20kit.jpg

Tritium night sights are still reasonably bright, but I'll probably replace them anyway. Teeny, tiny little 5.56 mm bore that is perfectly shiny and hard-chrome lined (unusual for a Yugo, most of which don't have chromed bores). It's a sin that I'm going to have to neuter it for Massachusetts - the flash hider will get replaced by a muzzle brake (which must be permanantly attached), the bayonet lug will get ground off, and the underfolding stock will need to be permanantly pinned into a fixed position.

Mags are kinda spendy at $30 each. I've ordered four more from Ohio Rapid Fire and that's it. It needs a sling and a mag pouch. It also needs a receiver. I'm going to go after the rivets with an air chisel and get the trunions out of the front and rear stubs, then it's going to sit in a box in my safe along with my M70 kit until NDS releases their 1.6 mm reciver for Yugo 5.56 underfolders. I'm going to leave the underfolding stock on this one because I figure the 5.56 round won't make too much recoil, so ergonomic problems with an underfolding stock with this rifle should be much less significant than they would be for an AK chambered in 7.62 x 39. Hopefully NDS ships their receivers soon, because I think this rifle is gonna be an excellent shooter.

That's a nice looking kit. I'd like to know what connection Bocefus has as he always seems to have pristine looking parts kits coming in.

BTW... you can convert 7.62x39 mags to 5.45x39 mags by swapping out the floorplates. Only problem is... there could be legal issues involved (construction of a new hi-cap mag that will no longer function in the firearm it was intended for).

That's a nice looking kit. I'd like to know what connection Bocefus has as he always seems to have pristine looking parts kits coming in.

BTW... you can convert 7.62x39 mags to 5.45x39 mags by swapping out the floorplates. Only problem is... there could be legal issues involved (construction of a new hi-cap mag that will no longer function in the firearm it was intended for).

Point of clarification, I think you mean the "follower" as the case taper and diameter are different between the two ammo types. (ie: the presentation or feed angle with reference to the chamber). The floor plate has no effect on the feeding,
it just holds the spring in the mag body.

Point of clarification, I think you mean the "follower" as the case taper and diameter are different between the two ammo types. (ie: the presentation or feed angle with reference to the chamber). The floor plate has no effect on the feeding,
it just holds the spring in the mag body.

Oooops... my bad ( I did mean followers).

you'll have to build up or lenghten the mag release tab - it's a bit more difficult and tricky as compared to a normal AK build, but not by much.

There are a couple of threads on AKfiles and gunco.net on the Yugo build technical issues.
Use the hot/cold technicque for installing the barrel.
There is also a group buy for us made flash hiders on gunco.net

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30202&highlight=hikerlt

Back
Top Bottom