yugo 59/66 sks rifle bad gas valve

when you buy them around here used. is there a big chance that they have or will get bad gas valve and is it a easy fix. how can you tell if it has a bad gas valve.

AFAIK, the only real way to tell if it's bad is a live-fire test. If the valve is blocked, you'll have problems related to the bolt and carrier not moving the way it should after each shot. It might stovepipe, or it might not move at all (which, btw, is what's supposed to happen when the valve is in the up position)

Replacement:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

Last edited:
so if i just get that peace the gun should work fine. Is that the only problem that happens with these rifles. also do you only have to replace them once or more then once

so if i just get that peace the gun should work fine. Is that the only problem that happens with these rifles. also do you only have to replace them once or more then once

Like I said, until you get and shoot the rifle, there's no way to know about the gas valve. Until you are shooting the rifle, and start having problems with it that can't be remedied by a detail strip-n-clean of the gas system, I wouldn't even worry about it.

My Yugo has been flawless, fortunately. I did take the precaution of replacing the original firing pin with this. If the gas valve malfunctions, it is an annoyance. If it slam-fires, it can be dangerous.

Even if you don't replace the valve or firing pin, make sure it is clean. Unremoved cosmoline, especially when it heats up, can cause a number of problems.

I like the SKS. A fun rifle to plink with.

Back
Top Bottom