Youth Handgun Safety Act

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/i/atf-i-5300-2.pdf

I am 15 with an FID. I live on a farm. The way I read this is if I am on the farm I can carry a pistol. But living in MA I feel like it's still a no no because I don't have an ltc. We constantly have problems with coyotes foxes and racoons and always having a long gun with me is sometimes a pain. Carrying one of my parents pistols with me would be alot eaisier. In the PRM can I carry a pistol on my farm under te youth handgun safety act?
My other question is can I have a loaded long gun in a truck/on a tractor or quad on the farm. I no transporting a long gun loaded on the road is illegal but is it legal on private property?
Thanks for any help clarifying the law. PMR gun laws are as clear as swamp mud.

In MA without an LTC you cannot use/touch/possess a handgun unless you are under the direct supervision of someone who has an LTC.

The Youth Handgun Safety thing is a Federal law set and does not override state law.

I'm not sure about your loaded long gun question so I'll let someone else answer that. The vehicle issue makes it murky. (Although one would think private property should make that moot, but that may not be the case. )

-Mike

By "truck" do you mean a truck with plates? I know some people have unregistered vehicles strictly for use on private property. If it can't go on the road, is it more like a lawn tractor?

ETA: I'm just wondering about the long gun portion of the question.

Last edited:
While I doubt seriously that there's any case law directly on this point, there's some that would make me very cautious. It's been held to be illegal to operate a motor vehicle on private property without a valid license if the vehicle "could" easily be driven onto a public road. I believe the case involved an unlicensed/under-age operator doing something like driving a car out of the garage onto the drive way to wash it.

Ken

The truck has no plates on it. It is a farm truck only. It hasent been registerd since we got it and it was in another state. I assummed that the pistol was a no no but you have to hope for loopholes sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom