Your thoughts on compact 1911s

Don't do it. Skip all that shit and get a G30SF/G30S (or a springfield XDS or whatever) and be done with it.

Small 1911s are a fool's errand. I had a couple of officer's mods that ran OK but frankly after shooting something like a G30 I'd never own a small 1911 ever again. Done.

-Mike

I wouldn't have agreed with this until I recently fondled a friends XDs .45. Damn, I want one of those.

If I get a compact 1911 it will probably be this exact one:

3CFE461F_zps6b69f02c.jpg

I've shot several "problematic" 3" 1911s but couldn't get them to jam. I'm pretty sure limpwristing was the problem the owners were having.

I made the royal of all mistakes last week. I test drove a friends 1911 Colt Defender and liked it a lot. Now I've got a bug to buy a compact model 1911 for myself. I had a Springfield Armory Champion in Commander size. It was a nice gun, but was finicky with ammo. Would shoot 185gr bullets, but turned into a jam-o-matic if you shot anything bigger. I traded it at the time for a DE in 357 mag.

Now though I'm looking to get another compact 1911. All kinds of fun sizes out there. The 3" Defender, the 4" Commander and the Officers model which I think is a mix of them. I'm thinking of this as a colder weather CCW so I'm leaning towards the Defender model.

I haven't had much experience with these so looking for some comments on the different models. I'd like to be able to run the full gambit of round sizes, so I'd want to stay away from anything finicky like the Champion was.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The conventional wisdom is that a 1911 with a 3" barrel is a contradiction. But owners of Colt Defenders and New Agents love them (at least they love the 9mm versions). Various posts attribute this newfound success to Colt's decision to license the Seecamp recoil spring assembly. I have been very impressed by my New Agent.

I had my Colt Defender 3" for awhile with over 1500 rounds fired without single issue.
the only problem i had was a finish on the frame. it stated pilling off after 2 hot summer months of carrying it IWB.
the other issue, that is not related to reliability, i had with sharp edges on a gun that was solved as well as pilling issue.
gun was fully refinished by WMD with NiBx boron-nickel finish.
But I prefer to carry my Hk45C or Glock 30 and when i need something smaller i go with XDs45 or Kahr PM45 for now.
Actually my new Boberg XR45 should be arriving soon and most likely it will replace my XDs45 and PM45. The same way as XR9-S replaced Kahr PM9. So far 850 rounds fired all kinds of ammo including Winchester WhiteBox, UMC and Federal HST 124gr not a single problem and extremely accurate. I expect the same from XR45.

going back to 1911 3". I am all on board with 1911 of any model, but now days there are many options for CC in 45ACP:
Hk45C
Glock 30
Glock30SF
Glock30S
Glock36
Kahr P45
Kahr PM45
Wilson Combat CQB 1911 4.25"
I will take any of those listed above before 3" 1911
Boberg XR45 not on the list yet since i have not tested it yet.

I own lots of .45s but the only 1911s I own are all steel 5". I think they are more reliable and durable. They absorb more recoil and the full length grip frame fits my big hands better.

Friends don't let friends buy a 3" bbl 1911.

All my 1911's are full size all steel (besides the Browning 1911-22 which is just a fun plinker).

I've toyed with sub-gov't length 1911's and I just don't trust them for a carry gun. If I need to go smaller than a 1911 it's G19 or Makarov.

I've got a RIA tactical Compact in 9mm. 3.5" , has functioned flawlessly, and is the most consistently accurate pistol I own. If you're not a limpwrist, you have nothing to worry about.[grin]

What I have gotten out of this thread is the ones that own them overwellmingly like them.

They're also the ones who have an incentive (resale, feelings of self-worth, etc.) to make them sound overwhelmingly likeable. [smile]

Last edited:
They're also the ones who have an incentive (resale, feelings of self-worth, etc.) to make them sound overwhelmingly likeable. [smile]

Mine isn't for sale and could care less what it is worth. [smile]

And the overwhelmingly negative reply's are from people with no first hand use.

Last edited:
I second drgrant's and many others' opinions.

Also, the only way I would ever own a sub-5" 1911 is if it were made by Pistol Dynamics and it were a 4.5" with a Browning-HP style taper. Incredibly attractive firearm.

The 3" Smith and Wesson that I have has a Smith and Wesson only front sight channel size. Dave Santouri milled the front sight channel to fit standard size 1911 night sights.

I owned a compact rock island and it wasn't fit to be a boat anchor. Two trips back to rock island and they gave up trying and sent a new one. I sold it on receipt. Never again with a compact 1911.

It's pretty ridiculous that you can't clean and lube your gun every few hundred rounds. Even if you "win," you've just spent 2 days at a CFS course. That's time you can't get back.

every time he says Dynamic Critical Incident, a glock kabooms. Its the natural balance of the universe

I have the original compact 1911 - Detonics Combat Master, Seattle production, four digit S/N.
A friend sold it to me for a veritable steal, he wanted it to go to someone he could trust.
I don't carry it, because I don't carry. It's a surprisingly good shooter, however... Done well, even a short barrel, short sight picture compact pistol can perform.

It's pretty ridiculous that you can't clean and lube your gun every few hundred rounds. Even if you "win," you've just spent 2 days at a CFS course. That's time you can't get back.
This made me laugh out loud

Back
Top Bottom