• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

I love my Camillus U.S. Demolition knife...

View attachment 396922

Those were issued to the students at the AF survival school, while in attendance. It was amazing how many students would lose them. Certain instructors carried around a few found ones in their packs for the unfortunate souls. They were also picked through/traded by some instructors for the more desirable ones.

Come time for equipment turn in before graduation it would remind me of this scene.

"you know where the hardware store is"

I’ve been looking at this little thing. I may have to get it.

Nice - That one has all the right basic tools.
-not sure what the flat thing is that's on top of the ruler....

Those scissors are always a treat to use/have when needed.

They were also picked through/traded by some instructors for the more desirable ones.
Yeah, the thumb-pin bottle opener/screw driver Camillus and the Imperial SS usually command a higher price. They've been around forever...

This is my "enbloc CHALLENGE" knife; I cross-posted over there.

It's one of the new Ek Commando line from Ka-Bar. From what I could tell, they're currently making this one and a spearpoint, and as a guy who likes Ka-Bar's blade shape a lot, there was no contest for me.

I've long been intrigued by the Ek handle shape, and it really is interesting: not as bulky as I typically like, but I feel like there's no way I'd lose my grip on this thing. The handle is very long and narrow.

Sheath is a nice retention model in what looks like kydex, but the website calls it something else; whatever, it's serviceable.

IMG_9197.JPG

I want to find a decent, simple little fixed blade but there are almost too many options out there. Tops alone seems to have 100 of them. Then there are the custom makers, who are sort of affordable when it comes to small fixed blades but it’s hard to find any reviews or feedback on most of them.

This thread is evil.

I want to find a decent, simple little fixed blade but there are almost too many options out there. Tops alone seems to have 100 of them. Then there are the custom makers, who are sort of affordable when it comes to small fixed blades but it’s hard to find any reviews or feedback on most of them.

This thread is evil.

Ban Tang.

Ban Tang.

Exactly. A maker I didn’t know existed 5 minutes ago, despite doing a ton of searches and research the pst day or two.

But yes, that’s about what I’m looking for, at least size and more or less price wise (for their cheaper knives)(used).

Exactly. A maker I didn’t know existed 5 minutes ago, despite doing a ton of searches and research the pst day or two.

But yes, that’s about what I’m looking for, at least size and more or less price wise (for their cheaper knives)(used).

He's been a serious knife maker for around 13 years. You'll find plenty of reviews and some kind of secondhand market. He services all his knives for life -- find one used and he'll put his STUPID SHARP™ edge back on it.

This thread is evil.

What's your price point?

You truly can't go wrong with Behring Made, who offer about 40 million styles at sub-Randall prices for custom work. Superb fit and finish and fast comms; they're just great guys out there. I've bought three knives from them and had them rehandle two of my Randalls.

Depends. A couple of hundred anyway.

Okay. Scratch Behring. Lol.

I like Ka-Bar and Benchmade; I've had a Nimravus for over 20 years and it's been amazing. Or if you want good, cheap, and serviceable, Moras are fine.

I have a couple of moras laying around. Looking for something a little sportier. And no, after looking at their site, not a Behring. [smile]

needs to be custom? Check www.usamadeblade.com and check out makers like fiddleback forge, Tm hunt, Esee, Dave Wenger. Remember sheath is equally as important

Nah, doesn’t need to be, but for this price point you can find some nice small batch stuff in a short fixed blade. Will check those out and yes, I’ve overlooked a few because they have a terrible sheath.

Got sucked in hard on the Fiddlebacks tonight, during their Fiddleback Friday drop.

I was JUST looking those over. Which one did you grab?

That banana creme one looks interesting, but it's just a wee bit more than I want to spend...

My favorite was the bush hermit but it was a little too big and a little too much $. So I got:

HikingBuddy09_bf939f9c-f33c-44fd-83d8-97c2b84ddd09_2048x.jpg

And

Bushcrafter08_e113e702-ddd3-45f4-b902-b2b41536566b_2048x.jpg

Might end up keeping only one, but having boys makes it too easy to rationalize buying “extra” knives/guns for the purpose of passing down (I.e. getting to keep myself in the meantime).

Last edited:
Looks similar to 1930's-1940's Electrician's knife that Camillus made for WWII.

1602387442030.png

needs to be custom? Check www.usamadeblade.com and check out makers like fiddleback forge, Tm hunt, Esee, Dave Wenger.Remember sheath is equally as important

Good call on the sheath. Fiddlebacks don’t come with one and nobody seems to sell a kydex for them unless I want to ship the knives out to them. That leaves leather, which is more expensive and less desirable (in my view).

I’ve thought about ordering a bunch of kydex and using YouTube to teach myself. Are there any local kydex guys I should be checking out? Just ship it out?Am I selling leather short?

Good call on the sheath. Fiddlebacks don’t come with one and nobody seems to sell a kydex for them unless I want to ship the knives out to them. That leaves leather, which is more expensive and less desirable (in my view).

I’ve thought about ordering a bunch of kydex and using YouTube to teach myself. Are there any local kydex guys I should be checking out? Just ship it out?Am I selling leather short?

I actually prefer leather so long as it’s fitted to the knife. It has very high retention and is much more friendly. Sure there are some great kydex out there, but it’s all personal preference. Knowing the popularity of Andy Roy’s knives there should definitely be sheath makers that don’t require mailing your blades. Check out Joufuu (sp?) and azwelke. Or armatus carry. You can also check out fiddleback outpost as they may sheaths on their website. If the knives are truly custom in size and shape it will require a custom sheath for kydex but if it’s just one off colors it shouldn’t be too hard to find something.

Knife-specific leather is out there, I think. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. I assumed worse retention, and that it would be harder on the knives (moisture, more contact, etc). I also wanted positioning options other than having it hanging vertically from the belt but I’m sure there are options in leather too.

Back
Top Bottom