• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

Nice. I have the GR1 and love it. It is my go to knife for dressing deer. It stays sharp and while the handle looks funky it feels great in the hand.

View attachment 708765

Handles are such an interesting thing to me. Can't tell you how many pocket knives I've bought that looked good to my eye and hated the feel in hand for the job I put them to. But when you find one that works for you, what a sweet knife that becomes!

Nice. I have the GR1 and love it. It is my go to knife for dressing deer. It stays sharp and while the handle looks funky it feels great in the hand.

View attachment 708765

I inherited one of these Grohmanns from my grandpa. Just a perfectly designed knife for the work it's supposed to do.

Any love for button locks? I can’t get enough of these things!

Got the Kizer Hic-cup (stupidist name ever) a couple weeks ago, and it is my favorite fidget knife ever. Knocking the AD20.5 off that throne. Reminds me a lot of the Spyderco Smock I used to own, but I like this one better.

And just in today from White Mountain Knives, the Civivi Elementum Button Lock II. Slightly thicker than the standard Elementum, and with a flipper tab deployment. What the first version SHOULD have been. As soon as I can dye these scales a better color I’ll be happier, but I like it better than the standard Elementum because it’s a button lock!

And it do love to push her button….

1A1AAB45-FBA8-46A7-A06F-D7C001CC5AFA.jpeg

Any love for button locks? I can’t get enough of these things!

Got the Kizer Hic-cup (stupidist name ever) a couple weeks ago, and it is my favorite fidget knife ever. Knocking the AD20.5 off that throne. Reminds me a lot of the Spyderco Smock I used to own, but I like this one better.

And just in today from White Mountain Knives, the Civivi Elementum Button Lock II. Slightly thicker than the standard Elementum, and with a flipper tab deployment. What the first version SHOULD have been. As soon as I can dye these scales a better color I’ll be happier, but I like it better than the standard Elementum because it’s a button lock!

And it do love to push her button….

View attachment 708803

When I was first getting into knives as a teen, I'd read horror stories of liner locks failing and I didn't want a lock back. Enter the Boker Top Lock. I'm pretty sure it was essentially an automatic without the springs. Button lock open and closed.

I found that my thumb would often depress the button when I was using the knife hard, like trying to saw through double layered heavy cardboard.

Eventually I discovered CRKTs liner lock safety, they call LAWKS, and the Crawford-Kasper folder has been my EDC ever since (20+ years now)

When I was first getting into knives as a teen, I'd read horror stories of liner locks failing and I didn't want a lock back. Enter the Boker Top Lock. I'm pretty sure it was essentially an automatic without the springs. Button lock open and closed.

I found that my thumb would often depress the button when I was using the knife hard, like trying to saw through double layered heavy cardboard.

Eventually I discovered CRKTs liner lock safety, they call LAWKS, and the Crawford-Kasper folder has been my EDC ever since (20+ years now)
I’ve never failed a button lock, but I can see how that would be a concern. Cold Steel tri-ad lock is basically unbreakable, and the action on many of them isn’t too terrible. LOVE my Air Lite Tanto. Smooth enough to flick, super thin in the pocket, bulletproof lock, and I’d pry open paint cans with the blade. Back lock tho. A good frame lock is dang hard to fail as well. ZT has some pretty heavy duty ones!

I still get worried about locks failing. Maybe I should only use OTF knives :)
Lol. About the safest knives out there. I have a microtech clone that’s really fun to play with but it never leaves my house because Massachusetts 🧐🙄

A good frame lock is dang hard to fail as well. ZT has some pretty heavy duty ones!

It's probably me, but whenever I'm using my frame lock knives hard, I end up squeezing the lock into the blade, making it very hard to disengage. Safe in use, sure, but then a pain to put away. Never played with a high end frame lock like a ZT, though. Just Kershaws.

It's probably me, but whenever I'm using my frame lock knives hard, I end up squeezing the lock into the blade, making it very hard to disengage. Safe in use, sure, but then a pain to put away. Never played with a high end frame lock like a ZT, though. Just Kershaws.
Remind me not to shake your hand! 🤣🤣🤣

First is thanks to @The Edge Lab; I have Flytanium micarta on the way for it but I don’t hate the Al as much as I expected to tbh.

C2596E1A-A550-4774-9BDE-837F02FA1440.jpeg

These are a collection of pickups in the new year. Hated the white plastic on the mini bugout so put micarta on, much better. Also had Ti Scales but those are too heavy for the size. Bah

DC81CCA1-B445-46F6-BF7B-C15DFF473BEC.jpeg
The Spyderco is a nice knife with good heft for the size and nearly disposable given the cost. One the far right is relegated to boxes since I despise “The James” clip retention. It was worth a try tho

Attachments

• F621492D-19B8-4F5B-967B-9B379DD2DF6F.jpeg
    F621492D-19B8-4F5B-967B-9B379DD2DF6F.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 7
Cold Steel Recon Tanto on sale at Amazon for $36.74

71fzmk6JKvL._AC_SX679_.jpg

My latest chef knife - Yoshimitsu Aogami Super 245mm From a small blacksmith in Nagasaki. I liked how rustic it is. Next to my 10yr old edc for size reference.

View attachment 710568
You know, now that I know a thing or 2 about cooking, and am coming around to be a knife nerd, I am pretty disappointed that I didn't pick up chefs knife while I was in Japan. I was pretty close to Nagasaki for a minute.

Fellow at my work makes knives. Asked him if he’d be willing to attempt recreating a knife I used to have and was very fond of.
”Can you draw me a picture?”
”Sure!”

D9E0DA07-BC7C-4696-BDB6-8789BA7624AD.jpeg
9C847F93-E648-4CA0-B1AE-63B38ACD5315.jpeg
E87ACB52-0923-435A-9A6A-A3B459B81F34.jpeg
D54BF4EC-C213-4113-B678-0EFCECF23584.jpeg

Straight edge, zero grind, distressed wenge scales that give it a nice grip and feel. Handle is about 3-1/2 fingers with your index in the round.

His work is usually much fancier and taken to a finer finish but he was willing to do this in a utilitarian trim and finish for me since this is intended to be used as a woodworking tool.

Wish I was a better photographer. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Eta: Here’s his instagram Joseph Westre (@jlwblades) • Instagram photos and videos if you want to check out his work. Think he might have a Facebook too. JLW Blades.

Last edited:
Fellow at my work makes knives. Asked him if he’d be willing to attempt recreating a knife I used to have and was very fond of.
”Can you draw me a picture?”
”Sure!”

View attachment 710595
View attachment 710596
View attachment 710597
View attachment 710598

Straight edge, zero grind, distressed wenge scales that give it a nice grip and feel. Handle is about 3-1/2 fingers with your index in the round.

His work is usually much fancier and taken to a finer finish but he was willing to do this in a utilitarian trim and finish for me since this is intended to be used as a woodworking tool.

Wish I was a better photographer. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Eta: Here’s his instagram Joseph Westre (@jlwblades) • Instagram photos and videos if you want to check out his work. Think he might have a Facebook too. JLW Blades.
Very nice!!!!!! I know that palm wood is a bitch to work with excellent outcome., enjoy.Just checked his IG very nice designs and workmanship, thank you for sharing.

Cold Steel SRK $37.84 at Amazon

71ofVeddvFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have the SRK, and the handle is like glue. What a grip! I ordered the Tanto version with the same grip (up a few posts, also on sale) because I like that shape/style better and it's on sale. Will probably give the SRK knife to my daughter for her BOB, or Karma it off if she doesn't want it.

Oh hey, the compact version is on sale too... Cold Steel SRK-c $38.43 at Amazon both knives cheaper on Amazon than BladeHQ. Not sure how long the "sale" will last.

71uif+jrxLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@chris_1001 don't curse me out.

Last edited:
Cold Steel SRK $37.84 at Amazon

71ofVeddvFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have the SRK, and the handle is like glue. What a grip! I ordered the Tanto version with the same grip (up a few posts) because I like that shape/style better and it's on sale. Will probably give the SRK knife to my daughter for her BOB, or Karma it off if she doesn't want it.

Oh hey, the compact version is on sale too... Cold Steel SRK-c $38.43 at Amazon both knives cheaper on Amazon than BladeHQ. Not sure how long the "sale" will last.

71uif+jrxLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@chris_1001 don't curse me out.
I don't have an SRK, but a friend does; it's been his field knife since the early '90s.

It is a great knife, he has gotten a lot of great use out of it over the years, and has never had a reason to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom