• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

I've heard of the Gerber "Fastball"...

Speedball looks nice!

So let me ask if any of you are weird like me when it comes to knives. I prefer to buy all my knives brand new. Reason behind this is knives have “Character” after using them and getting dinged up here and there but for some reason I want to be the one to F’ing it up and give it the character it gets from use. Anyone relate or am I on an island with this?
I love a new knife but I've also starting to collect some "vintage" Bucks which by their very nature, are used. I've actually bought some very nice used ones, virtually unused even after 40+ years. Buck even has a program where you can send in knives and for $6.95 they will adjust/clean/polish and sharpen any Buck knife sent to them and will even replace a blade (at least on their folding knives) for $10 if needed.

I was just thinking about this, and I can't think of a single used knife I've ever bought other than a couple of LNIB Randalls. I'm with you on wanting to mark them up myself, and I don't trust the edge that other people might put on them.

I'm not that way with guns or guitars, both of which I actually prefer used. Odd.
Oh to be very clear I absolutely love Vintage knives and appreciate them and have no problem with that but I wouldn’t use them, I have a few that have real sentimental value. I’m more talking buying a knife to EDC or use regularly.

So let me ask if any of you are weird like me when it comes to knives. I prefer to buy all my knives brand new. Reason behind this is knives have “Character” after using them and getting dinged up here and there but for some reason I want to be the one to F’ing it up and give it the character it gets from use. Anyone relate or am I on an island with this?
Nope. Same here. "New" beats "New-to-me" every time. Hands down.

I love a new knife but I've also starting to collect some "vintage" Bucks which by their very nature, are used. I've actually bought some very nice used ones, virtually unused even after 40+ years. Buck even has a program where you can send in knives and for $6.95 they will adjust/clean/polish and sharpen any Buck knife sent to them and will even replace a blade (at least on their folding knives) for $10 if needed.
That’s an awesome deal I never new that

Hey, @timbo, If you ever think of 'letting go' of any of your Classic BUCK 110's and 112's, let me know. I love a shot at one... ~Enbloc [wink]

That’s an awesome deal I never new that
Yep...go on their website and download and print one of their "warranty" forms, fill it out and send it to their place in Idaho with a $6.95 check. I send mine in so they can be tracked, usually Fedex. I just sent one in a couple of weeks ago and it cost me a little over $7 to ship it out there (I ship them out from where I work so it may be a little cheaper than some other place). They don't do this stuff overnight but in three or four weeks I'll get it back all nice and shiny with a freshly sharpened blade. Such a deal!

When I lived near them when they were in El Cajon, California, they would have open houses a couple of times a year where they would give tours and sharpen your blade while they were showing you around. If it needed more than that, you could give them your phone number and they would call you when it was ready, usually in less than a week back then.

@enbloc figured I would post this here. The woman gave me the green light to order two of these. One for me, one for the son in law. Shipping isn't bad for orders more than one.

@enbloc figured I would post this here. The woman gave me the green light to order two of these. One for me, one for the son in law. Shipping isn't bad for orders more than one.

now thats a knife!

So here's what I learned about Khukris.

Every website out there sells these, and all of them claim to be "official issue" or "standard issue" or whatnot. Then they wax poetic in their descriptions about how sacred these things are.

I was in Kosovo once when I hung out for an evening with a bunch of Gurkhas; they were kind enough to come by and pipe for us. Every one of them had about three Khukris, all of slightly different patterns, because those dudes were INCREDIBLY eager to trade for multitools, which apparently they couldn't get. So our guys were flocking to them with every expensive Gerber and Leatherman they could give up, just so they could grab a "real" Khukri from a "real" gurhka. And those pipers were laughing all the way to the bank, because at the time Leathermans were a whole lot more expensive than Khukris.

When we asked about the Khukris, they laughed and said some variation on, "Dude, I've got dozens of these things back home." They seemed to view them in much the same way we viewed bayonets, as a necessary evil during inspections, and not terribly useful as a knife otherwise. They said they used them for digging more than anything else.

So the lesson I learned? Real Gurkas don't carry any kind of "standard" Khukri, and they're not really all that sacred to them.

So here's what I learned about Khukris.

Every website out there sells these, and all of them claim to be "official issue" or "standard issue" or whatnot. Then they wax poetic in their descriptions about how sacred these things are.

I was in Kosovo once when I hung out for an evening with a bunch of Gurkhas; they were kind enough to come by and pipe for us. Every one of them had about three Khukris, all of slightly different patterns, because those dudes were INCREDIBLY eager to trade for multitools, which apparently they couldn't get. So our guys were flocking to them with every expensive Gerber and Leatherman they could give up, just so they could grab a "real" Khukri from a "real" gurhka. And those pipers were laughing all the way to the bank, because at the time Leathermans were a whole lot more expensive than Khukris.

When we asked about the Khukris, they laughed and said some variation on, "Dude, I've got dozens of these things back home." They seemed to view them in much the same way we viewed bayonets, as a necessary evil during inspections, and not terribly useful as a knife otherwise. They said they used them for digging more than anything else.

So the lesson I learned? Real Gurkas don't carry any kind of "standard" Khukri, and they're not really all that sacred to them.
I already wrote it off as a novelty gift. The only reason for two was the shipping was only $10 more, $30 for one, $40 for two. Figured why not, probably give the second one away at some point.
I'll keep carrying my multi tool and my Esee.

If people like Kukris, here is some stuff that I have found interesting.

Some years ago, Atlanta Cutlery imported a batch of pre World War I Nepalese kukris that were made for issue by the British Army. The kukris then apparently sat in storage in this country, and only became available recently. Some of them are still in stock.

To get some publicity, they recently sent some samples to Matt Easton, who runs the scholagladiatoria youtube channel. I personally find this channel to be a pretty compelling waste of time. I'm not going to buy anything he talks about, but I still watch. If you like knives, and especially swords, scholagladiatoria is worth a look.

Here is one of his videos on the antique kukris.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-M1ohGumUM

Anyone have experiences wit Ganzo Knives? Youtube reviews them well...

Inexpensive beaters for under $30 bucks...

G704 below...
1607649674161.png
1607649726188.png

I think the only thing that comes close to costing me as much money as firearms, are knives...currently, my obsession with vintage Al Mar is hurting my wallet, but warming my heart.

EBay has a nice selection too, I’m not sure if they are tough on Massachusetts shipping or not though.
No, I never have issues with regular knives on eBay. Amazon considers thumb studs and flippers the same as assisted/auto.
Amazon will ship a Buck 110 (and I'm sure many other nail-nick folders) so, I guess that's something...

No, I never have issues with regular knives on eBay. Amazon considers thumb studs and flippers the same as assisted/auto.
Amazon will ship a Buck 110 (and I'm sure many other nail-nick folders) so, I guess that's something...
Honestly I never paid attention to what was considered legal or not when I lived in Mass, it’s such a friggen joke. At least EBay doesn’t act up in that regard but they are more than ridiculous when selling any furniture for guns, like stocks, vertical grips,rails blah blah blah. If it says “Airsoft” in the title it’s G2G which is even more laughable. Maybe sellers should put “For backyard Play” in the title or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom