• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

Lol. I just meant; have a "deep container" of water or oil to plunge the blade into while making short passes on the grinder. This "quenches" or cools the metal down so you don't get the blue
or rainbow color from the heat, which will effect the metallurgy (physical) structure of the steel.

I like to just bring the grinder into the tub with me. Way easier to keep everything cool that way.

It better look like this:

View attachment 419346

And not like this...

View attachment 419347

[rofl2]

Either will work, but I find whenever I use the second option they all come out looking like a kris...

E3904F38-B6B7-4BF5-A8B5-B05943CCD7CD.jpeg
All joking aside, goddamn that’s pretty. I’m not really interested in a kris, but hell if that doesn’t appear well done. Now I need to go look into Linder and see what else they make. I guess the joke is on me...

I like to just bring the grinder into the tub with me. Way easier to keep everything cool that way.

“I always knew my parents weren’t fond of me. When I was a child my favorite bath toy was a toaster oven”

ETA a quote since the joke wasn’t landing

Last edited:
It better look like this:

View attachment 419346

My dad had one like this (different treadle) and it had a Campbell's soup can that hung over the top of the stone that had a small hole in the bottom of it. He would fill it with water and it would dribble out onto the stone while it spun around. He did amazing sharpening jobs with that stone. A few minutes with that whetstone and a strop and the knife was razor sharp.

Was $10.00 too much to pay for this low-end used knife ? I thought I was getting a deal - LOL !

Nah. Realistically, that's about its money. No more, though. I'd not buy a Frost folder, but a simple Gerber-clone boot knife is probably going to be fine for ya.

Well...new to me. I found a 1992 Buck 110 with a single dash stamp...which I was told is very rare...and it's on the way to me. They only stamped the 1992 110 with a single dash for the first month or so of production and then started using a dash on either side of the model number, something I learned only recently. I found one this weekend on ebay and bid up over $150 on it and still lost. I wonder how high the winner was willing to go?

This one was less than half that price and was a new listing..Buy it Now...Gone.

92 SINGLE DASH.jpg

Last edited:
Since people are posting CRKT M16's, here's mine. I can't remember exactly when I bought it, maybe around 2002, 2003? Its an original aluminum handle before they came out with the lawks system. It's a little "stabby" for the office so i haven't carried it much for a while. The logos are almost worn off the blade. Still in great shape.
crkt.jpg

Here's my latest purchase, this is probably one of the dumbest knife purchases I have made, not because of the price/quality which seems pretty decent but because I'm sure to cut myself playing with it sooner or later. Think I need to put a few layers of tape over the blade. Kershaw Lucha lucha.jpg

Here's my latest purchase, this is probably one of the dumbest knife purchases I have made, not because of the price/quality which seems pretty decent but because I'm sure to cut myself playing with it sooner or later. Think I need to put a few layers of tape over the blade. Kershaw LuchaView attachment 420051

No tape! (It’s the cuttin’ that learns ya.;) )

So let me ask if any of you are weird like me when it comes to knives. I prefer to buy all my knives brand new. Reason behind this is knives have “Character” after using them and getting dinged up here and there but for some reason I want to be the one to F’ing it up and give it the character it gets from use. Anyone relate or am I on an island with this?

So let me ask if any of you are weird like me when it comes to knives. I prefer to buy all my knives brand new. Reason behind this is knives have “Character” after using them and getting dinged up here and there but for some reason I want to be the one to F’ing it up and give it the character it gets from use. Anyone relate or am I on an island with this?

It's a good policy. I usually won't buy used unless it's a fixed blade and I have good clear pictures, or a folder that (a) I can return, (b) I have good pictures of, and (c) the seller represents as being in excellent shape, and ideally never sharpened or taken apart.

Of course just last night I bought a folder from Arizona Custom Knives that violates at least two of those rules, but I wanted it and it wasn't available anywhere else. [smile] At least it wasn't from eBay.

No tape! (It’s the cuttin’ that learns ya.;) )

[laugh] I was reading some knife reviews last night and some dude was holding the knife being reviewed in his open palm for the camera. He had some crazy scars all over it. All I could think of was that he either got into a knife fight or he was the most experienced knife dude ever. I need to see if I can find it now...

I buy new because I know it's not been abused, at all. Plus there's a warranty on it for at least some time. Doubt you'll find that on used blades.

I was just thinking about this, and I can't think of a single used knife I've ever bought other than a couple of LNIB Randalls. I'm with you on wanting to mark them up myself, and I don't trust the edge that other people might put on them.

I'm not that way with guns or guitars, both of which I actually prefer used. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom