• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your first IDPA match

M1911

NES Member
Folks, before you show up to your first IDPA match, please check a few things.

Your holster is a vital part of your safety equipment. Your holster must allow you to safely holster a gun with one hand. The holster must remain open after you draw. If your holster collapses after you draw, it will be almost impossible to safely holster a loaded gun. Holstering a loaded gun is probably the most dangerous thing you will do at a match, even with a proper holster. Without a proper holster it becomes untenable.

Second, the holster must cover the trigger guard.

Third, the holster must attach firmly to your belt, so that when you draw the gun, the holster stays on the belt. A holster with belt loops works better for competition than one with a paddle or clip.

Fourth, during a match you will be drawing and holstering a number of times. This is much easier to do with an OWB holster than an IWB holster, particularly if you are new to this type of shooting. Getting your shirt caught in the holster while holstering isn't just inconvenient, it is a potential safety problem. I understand the argument about using your carry rig, but for your first several matches, please consider using an OWB holster.

Fifth, you need a strong, stiff gun belt. Your typical floppy belt will not properly support the holster, and can cause problems while drawing and holstering.

Check on all these things before attending a match. Try on all your gear at home, with an empty gun and empty mags. Make sure you can holster and draw with one hand. When holstering and drawing, your support hand should be on your belly. If your support hand is over near the holster, then you will likely muzzle your support hand, and the safety officer will not take kindly to that. If you find that your gear doesn't work, then don't attend a match until you get gear that does work.

A proper Kydex OWB holster can be purchased for around $70, and will serve you far better than a $20 collapsing nylon holster with a clip that doesn't hold. Please trust me that a junk holster is a serious safety issue.

Bring a range bag. You'll need it to carry all your gear and your ammo. In the event that your holster goes south, you can at least use your range bag to safely take your gun off the line. You don't need a fancy, expensive range bag. You can get a great soft tool bag from Lowe's or Home Despot that will work just fine for not a lot of money.

Also, if you don't have any training or experience in drawing from a holster, please consider attending an intro to IDPA class or an IDPA practice prior to coming to a match. We'll have time to help you at a class or practice that we just don't have at a match.

I do encourage people to try IDPA. It's a great sport. But I want your first match to be both safe and a good experience; it is hard for it to be either when you don't have correct gear.

Last edited:
cmon man, if you have to wait a few extra minutes for a new shooter its not so bad when your 2 feet from the food vendor ;)

Last edited:
Hey Thanks alot! He worked the night before and did not have a chance to checkout his euip. Also I don't think he really did'nt knew what he was getting into. Anyway that's the last new shooter I'll ever bring. THANK'S

M1911 I'll add #4

If you don't have the proper equipment (ie appropriate holster, mag carriers mags) but you do have safe gun handling skills and a positive teachable attitude, post in the thread for that match. Many shooters have multiple extra holsters, holders, and mags. Most are more than willing to help a new shooter out and lend them to you for the match. I've got a couple extra M&P holsters, a bunch of holders, and some 9mm mags that I've been happy to loan out in the past.

I don't know whether your comments were said in jest DD... and I don't know what specifically happened.. but I always encourage people to go to a practice or two before going to a match. It's just easier (and safer IMO) for new shooters to get familiar with the sport.

Hey Thanks alot! He worked the night before and did not have a chance to checkout his euip. Also I don't think he really did'nt knew what he was getting into. Anyway that's the last new shooter I'll ever bring. THANK'S

DD, the fact is that his equipment was unsafe. I appreciate you bringing new shooters. Next time, please let them know beforehand what they need to safely shoot an IDPA match, including what constitutes a proper holster. And also, make sure that they know what they are getting into. After all, he is your buddy, right?

As I said above, it wasn't the time that bothered me. What bothered me was the unsafe equipment. Please recognize that I wasn't the one that was endangered by the unsafe equipment - it was your buddy himself who was seriously endangered by that equipment. I don't want to see anyone get hurt at a match, and his equipment scared the bleeping poo out of me.

Everyone was a new shooter once. I was one, too. That was why I started this thread - so new shooters would hopefully understand why a POS $20 holster won't work for IDPA. You can get a decent kydex holster for $70 and it is well worth the money.

Last edited:
Acually the original hollster that he bought from the shop didn't fit, but he didn't realize this till this morning. When he was putting his gear on he found out it was the wrong holster. We asked Aaron if he could ask if anyone had a holster that would fiot this particular gun during the shooters meeting. So the holster that failed on him was a borrowed holster.

Yes I do, It was totally unexpected and unaviodable at that point. Sorry to put anybody in an unsafely position. Acually the shooter had a great time and want's to do it again.

Yes I do, at time the holster fit the gun and it wasn't saftey factor. He wanted to to just watch, but when he got the borrowed holster I encouraged him shoot. Instead of watching.

So that's why we have an Introduction to IDPA Clinic for new shooters every year! The clinic is designed to explain the rules and requirements plus actual hands-on training. Maybe this should be a question to ask first time shooters? Maybe it should be mandatory! If he a crossover for USPSA that's one thing. But a new shooter can be a handful without the basics burned into his mind.

Maybe it should be mandatory!

I highly recommend a new shooter come to a practice or class first, but would not support making it mandatory. I have exactly the same feelings about that as recommending new gun owners get training vs legally mandating it.

As Mike said, if you're not sure about your gear or are missing something, post prior to the match and someone will be glad to help you out. I'm planning to order a second M&P holster soon so I can loan out my back up gun.

I was thinking this for an OWB and a twin mag pouch. I have a belt on order. Will probably start with either my G17 or M&P 45. Any objections/recommendations?

That holster is a great choice. Some people prefer two single mag pouches rather than a twin pouch. Opinions may vary on that. I've heard some good things about the beltman but have no personal experience.

That holster is a great choice. Some people prefer two single mag pouches rather than a twin pouch. Opinions may vary on that. I've heard some good things about the beltman but have no personal experience.

OK, thanks. That's not a bad idea, I may do the two singles. The Belt Man was recommended in a couple threads. It'll be my first gun belt, not sure that the sizing will be perfect, but hopefully it'll be good enough.

I have two 10-round mags for both candidate pistols. Should I worry about acquiring hi-caps?

The Belt Man was recommended in a couple threads.

I use a beltman belt about 4 times a week, something else at other times. It has been in use since 6/9/09(gmails search is awesome)... I am a size 45 belt it has some work to do:)

The belt is still the best darn belt I have ever had and would buy again in a heartbeat... Depending on your use and preference I might personally go with the kydex insert on my next order just to stiffen it up some more...

After seeing some other belts and changing over my IDPA only belt to a wilderness tactical with polymer insert would be a new recommendation if you are looking for an IDPA belt that also functions well as a daily belt.

I also have some belt lust going on with this I should order it now LOL :)

All are great choices and will serv you well both daily and on the range... A great belt also really IMO increases the comfort level of wearing a gun all day.. YMMV

Hope to see you soon at a match

Aaron

Last edited:
I use a beltman belt... wilderness

I wear a Beltman or the Wilderness daily, both with stiffener inserts. I've had the Wilderness longer, and the Velcro on the Wilderness eventually wears, but I'd gladly buy either again.

I also own a Comp-Tac belt, and while it's totally serviceable, it's not as nice.

I've worn the same Beltman belt daily since January 2008 and it's holding up great. If you follow the sizing instructions on the site, the sizing is right on.

I prefer single mag pouches to doubles. It's easier to fit them around belt loops on various pants.

Thanks for the info all. I'll pick up a couple extra mags and go with the single mag pouches.

I didn't get the internal stiffener, but my order went in on the 9th so I'll give them a call and see if that can be added.

I've got a Beltman without a stiffener. That's a mistake, you want the stiffener. I'm not all that thrilled with how it has worn. I had a belt from the late, great Lou Alessi that showed much less wear over time; may Lou rest in peace.

Folks, before you show up to your first IDPA match, please check a few things.

Snipping giant, well written advise

After having just shot my first IDPA match, I can attest to all of this. I shot with a very nice IWB holster then came home and ordered a Comp-Tac OWB for my next IDPA. It drove me nuts although it was safe. The stiff belt is also huge and you may not know that if you have a crippled LTC or don't carry for some other reason.

I'll also add that the practice or a class would be huge. Without that practice I would have been utterly lost instead of just bad on Saturday. Also, I've never met a nicer group of shooters than the guys at the practice at WPRC.

I was thinking this for an OWB and a twin mag pouch. I have a belt on order. Will probably start with either my G17 or M&P 45. Any objections/recommendations?

Comp-Tac makes great stuff. I use the two single mag carriers because I use one single everyday and didn't want to buy a single and a double. The Beltman also makes awesome belts. I have had the one without the stiffener for a year now without issues and I carry everyday. Like any other thing YMMV.

One thing to think about with mags is that if you shoot a gun with a magazine disconnect like an M&P (for which no legal hi caps exist) you'll either need to cripple the disconnect or make sure you have an extra mag to keep empty. You'll need to pop that empty mag into the empty gun to pull the trigger and drop the hammer at the end of the stage. What I did was to carry four mags. Three were full and one carried a single round. I loaded the single round first, racked, dropped the empty mag and stored it. I then put in a full mag from my pocket and holstered. That left me with my two full mags on holders and an empty mag for clearing in my pocket.

Hi guys! Lots of good info in here about equipment. However, I'm pretty new to shooting in general - just bought my first gun a couple weeks back, and only shot 3-4 times over the last 10 years or so. Anybody have recommendations on how good I should be at the range (just regular target shooting, likely without a holster or anything) before considering starting IDPA? Is there a baseline for grouping, times, or particular distances I should practice? I just started researching this last week so kick me if there's a whole thread on it. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom