Your first IDPA match

if you keep the mag disconnect, you'll need to carry an empty mag with you in your back pocket so you can drop the hammer. Pain in the ass.

I also think it's stupid and useless for practical purposes outside of IDPA.

Last edited:
if you keep the mag disconnect, you'll need to carry an empty mag with you in your back pocket so you can drop the hammer. Pain in the ass.

I also think it's stupid and useless for practical purposes outside of IDPA.

I agree 100%. I don't consider it a safety device, I consider it an inconvenience and UN-safety device. Unfortunately IDPA doesn't agree with my interpretation.

I agree 100%. I don't consider it a safety device, I consider it an inconvenience and UN-safety device. Unfortunately IDPA doesn't agree with my interpretation.
Agreed.

When you go to an IDPA or USPSA match with a gun that has a mag safety, tell your SO about it. We're normally expecting you to remove the magazine, show clear, close the slide and pull the trigger, and the drill is a bit different with a mag safety. Let us know so we won't be surprised when you are pulling a magazine out of your pocket during unload and show clear.

The polymer insert is legal for IDPA. The thing that isn't legal is the holster mounted on a belt that doesn't go through your belt loops like the 2 piece belts common in USPSA (CR-Speed, DAA, etc).

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

The Ruger SR series aren't single action, they're partially pre-cocked striker fired, just like a Glock or M&P. Perfectly legal in SSP.
Ahh... ok, I guess I didn't understand the difference, I'm still new to the finer points. :) I thought that the fact that the trigger couldn't fire the gun from a fully decocked striker meant that it was single-action. But I suppose the fact that you can't exactly chamber a round without partially pre-cocking the striker is the difference. Cool.

The mag disconnect issue is a sticky wicket. I'd never jam you up over it but some match directors might. Is the gun available from the factory without it?
No, as far as I've been able to determine the gun only comes with the mag disconnect. I don't necessarily see it as an issue, except in the trigger performance... so perhaps I could call it a trigger enhancement, but the rules do specifically say "as long as safety is maintained." Open to interpretation, I guess, as that's probably indicated more as a general safety issue rather than something specific to mag disconnects (which don't affect the major safety components of the gun, such as the trigger and manual safety). Eh, guess we'll see... :)

As far as holsters go, I've seen that the straight up and down holsters are said to be faster than the forward cant type? Is it a significant difference? I'm sure I'm not going to be pushing the limits here, and I would probably go with the forward cant as it seems more concealable, but I figured I should go to the mountain and see what you all think.

Ahh... ok, I guess I didn't understand the difference, I'm still new to the finer points. :) I thought that the fact that the trigger couldn't fire the gun from a fully decocked striker meant that it was single-action. But I suppose the fact that you can't exactly chamber a round without partially pre-cocking the striker is the difference. Cool.
There really needs to be a shorter and simpler term than 'partially pre-cocked striker double action only'. I generally call them 'Glock Style' as Glock popularized the concept. They're not quite either single or double action. Don't even get me started on IDPA classifying the XD as single action.

No, as far as I've been able to determine the gun only comes with the mag disconnect. I don't necessarily see it as an issue, except in the trigger performance... so perhaps I could call it a trigger enhancement, but the rules do specifically say "as long as safety is maintained." Open to interpretation, I guess, as that's probably indicated more as a general safety issue rather than something specific to mag disconnects (which don't affect the major safety components of the gun, such as the trigger and manual safety). Eh, guess we'll see... :)
There's been plenty of back and forth about this around the internet. Unfortunately, the ruling of HQ is that it is a safety device. It's easy to weasel around on guns like the M&P and BHP that are available both ways, but unfortunately not on the SR9/SR40. If I were you, I'd take it out, and if I were competing in a sanctioned IDPA match, I'd contact the match director ahead of time. If he says you have to have it, put it back in for that match.

As far as holsters go, I've seen that the straight up and down holsters are said to be faster than the forward cant type? Is it a significant difference? I'm sure I'm not going to be pushing the limits here, and I would probably go with the forward cant as it seems more concealable, but I figured I should go to the mountain and see what you all think.

I haven't put it on the timer to quantify, but vertical holsters are definitely a hair faster than muzzle rearward cants. Muzzle forward cants are faster still, but not legal in IDPA (or USPSA Production and Single Stack I think, though the rule is less clear). Speed and concealability are often at odds. The other advantage of the typical straight drop kydex IDPA/USPSA holster is that it doesn't pull the grip in tight against the body, which makes it much easier to acquire the grip during the draw.

It all depend what you want out of IDPA. I play to win, so I use a different holster than I use to carry in everyday life.

IDPA HQ has said that disabling the stupid internal lock on a S&W revolver is against the rules, so I am confident that disabling a magazine safety would be against the rules as well.

As an SO, I would never ding someone at a club match for having done so. But if you go to a sanctioned match, they may well have an equipment check that might find it, in which case you might be DQed.

Straight drop is absolutely faster than a forward cant holster. Forward cant is definitely more concealable. I'm a gamer, so I use a straight-drop holster for competition.

Sounds like straight drop is the way to go, as I haven't decided to do the concealed carry even though my license permits it. I know, that's another conversation entirely... perhaps a zombie attack would change my mind.

Now, is the paddle really less secure than a belt looped version? It would seem that if your belt was sufficiently tight the raised tabs on the paddle would keep it from going anywhere? I like the idea that you can take it off much easier than having to take off your whole belt.

Yes. Paddles just suck. And you don't have to take your belt all the way off, just the last few loops as you thread on the holster. It only takes a few seconds.
+1. I keep my holster just forward of the 3 o clock belt loop, so I only have to unbuckle the belt and pull it past the 1 o clock belt loop. You'll find a paddle requires opening the belt also, so it doesn't save anything.

Got my shipment from CPWSA on Saturday - holster and 4 mag pouches - 2 day shipping pretty awesome. Quality is great.
My wilderness belt shipped Thursday also so I should have that within days.

Great recommendation on CPWSA Jar -thanks!

Yes. Paddles just suck. And you don't have to take your belt all the way off, just the last few loops as you thread on the holster. It only takes a few seconds.

I currently use a Paddle holster by Comptac and it works well for me. I'm a bit thick in the waist though so there is a lot of force holding that sucker in place with a good belt.

Not to have this go on and on... but I have a bunch of paddles in my closet. There is a reason they are in there collecting dust.

Figured I would come back and post a picture of my setup as it has already been put to use at practice:

newlens022.jpg

So when is your first match? Worcester this Saturday?

Still up in the air for Saturday - all the matches I have shot have been at Harvard.
I switched from a Springfield XD45 to the Glock 17 so I have not done any matches with the Glock yet.

Got my holster, belt, etc - still need to get a third magazine, but I'm guessing I'll have to go to FS to do that. Can't mail order magazines in MA, right?

As for the holster, it's a little tight. I have an SR40, but CompTac only makes one for the SR9. I had read that the 1.6mm of additional slide width isn't a big issue. With the tension screws wide open (or removed entirely) it holds what I think is probably the right amount - doesn't fall out when inverted, and I can get the gun out when it's on my belt with a (firm) tug. I was contemplating returning it, but I can't find anybody that makes something that's SR40 specific, and it's not so bad...

Of course, it is in no way concealable. Only place I could get away with it would be at a tech convention (it's two phones and a banana, really!!!). But I'm on the thinner side of things so perhaps I'm just doomed to print. Doesn't seem like it matters at IDPA, though.

Is that a lone wolf frame? Is that an issue with SSP or Production? (I should know but I'm too lazy to go look it up).

Your correct its Lone Wolf frame I believe its called the Timberwolf.... can't shoot production with this one.

Is that a belt or a wrist strap????? :)

Haha its actually 33" inches so yes I am not a big guy but it does not show in the picture due to fold at Velcro area

Back
Top Bottom