Your considered opinions...Restricted LTC and the Castle Doctrine

I guess you're right, it doesn't state "hard case" but it does refer to a secure container. In my non legal mind, I guess I confuse the two.

Yeah, the instructor was adamant about it being in a locked case and out of your immediate control by placing it as far away as possible.

The operative phrase of the law being discussed is:

shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

Your choices are 1) locked trunk, 2) locked case, or 3) other secure container. So if you don't have a trunk, put it in a locked, hard-sided case. The law does not require that the locked case be in any particular portion of the vehicle (though putting it out of sight is not a bad idea). If you put it in a locked trunk, you don't have to put the gun inside anything, though a case is advisable to prevent damage to the gun.

Your choices are 1) locked trunk, 2) locked case, or 3) other secure container. So if you don't have a trunk, put it in a locked, hard-sided case. The law does not require that the locked case be in any particular portion of the vehicle (though putting it out of sight is not a bad idea). If you put it in a locked trunk, you don't have to put the gun inside anything, though a case is advisable to prevent damage to the gun.

Once again, where is a "hard-sided" case required by law? [rolleyes]

Once again, where is a "hard-sided" case required by law? [rolleyes]

It isn't.

The question is what is a "locked case, or other secure container." I'm sure you are more familiar with the case law in this regard. Until and unless you are willing to enlighten us in this regard, a hard-sided locked case is a conservative recommendation.

Once again, where is a "hard-sided" case required by law?

It isn't.

Then stop asserting that it is.

The question is what is a "locked case, or other secure container." I'm sure you are more familiar with the case law in this regard. Until and unless you are willing to enlighten us in this regard, a hard-sided locked case is a conservative recommendation.

There is a clear difference between a requirement and a recommendation. Unless and until you can grasp the distinction, stop (mis)interpreting the law.

Then stop asserting that it is.

OK, let's rewind and look at exactly what I wrote:

The operative phrase of the law being discussed is:

"...shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within tthe locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container."

I quoted the law itself. Where I wrote
So if you don't have a trunk, put i in a locked, hard-sided case.
That is clearly a recommendation. You will notice that I did not preface that by saying "the law requires that..."

If you have the firearm unloaded in any sort of locked case, you can keep it on the passenger seat if you want. No need to make up more laws to confuse the already confusing existing ones.

If you have the firearm unloaded in any sort of locked case, you can keep it on the passenger seat if you want. No need to make up more laws to confuse the already confusing existing ones.

That's what we have dispatchers and dealers for! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom