• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ You may want to catch this tonight . . .

SigSauerLogo.jpg
Tonight on the Outdoor Ch. from 10 to 10:30PM the American Rifleman has a decent segment on Sig Sauer of Exeter NH. Excellent show and check out “RuBee” the access management system they are going to be developing.​

Hmmmmm.

http://www.sigsauer.com/aboutus/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsId=3 said:
SIG SAUER® Develops Secure Weapons Visibility Network for Government, Military, and Law Enforcement Agencies

SIG SAUER® DEVELOPS SECURE WEAPONS VISIBILITY NETWORK FOR GOVERNMENT, MILITARY, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES Solution provides agencies with real-time armory inventory, weapon location, maintenance and training information with embedded RuBee™ (IEEE P1902.1) technology Exeter NH, May 9 2008: SIG SAUER announces the availability of the SIG SAUER Weapons Visibility Network. The Weapons Visibility Network provides real-time visibility of current location and history of weapons, personnel and high-value assets such as night vision goggles and armored vests. It is powered by highly secure, metal friendly RuBee (IEEE P1902.1) wireless technology, developed by Visible Assets, Inc. The solution is currently in operation at highly secure United States Government locations. The Weapons Visibility Network technology is available to be built into our industry-leading products, such as the P226®, P229®, and P250® pistols, as well as the SIG556® rifles. The Weapons Visibility Network provides government, military, and law enforcement agencies with real-time information on armory inventory, the flow of weapons in and out of secure locations, and maintenance and training activities. In addition to the electronics embedded in weapon grips and inventory tags, the solution consists of “RuBee Appliances” such as portals, weapons racks, mats, and specialized shelving. The weapons’ visibility data flows through these appliances and is presented to users via a secure, thin-client application. “We are very pleased to be offering this visibility solution to our customers,” said Ron Cohen, President & CEO of SIG SAUER. “The ability to provide real-time data, in addition to historical audit trails, increases security and saves money, without adding overhead. People have been trying to address weapons visibility for some time, but have not been able to due to technical hurdles. We have found the Weapons Visibility Network presents a unique ability to work flawlessly in metal environments as well as having a wireless security model suitable for deployment at highly-secure off-site locations.” “As the premier provider of weapons to worldwide government, military, and law enforcement agencies, SIG SAUER is the perfect choice as our product partner in Weapons Visibility,” said John Stevens, Chairman & CEO of Visible Assets. “SIG SAUER is a forward-thinking organization with the engineering expertise and deep market penetration to deliver a viable solution.” The RuBee electronics are manufactured directly into SIG SAUER weapons. A variety of pre-engineered and aftermarket solutions are available for non-SIG SAUER weapons and other items, such as night vision goggles, scopes, and armored vests. The Weapons Visibility Network is available through SIG SAUER. For more information, please visit http://www.sigsauer.com/wvn.

So do I understand correctly that they will be able to track the location of a weapon via a computer? If so how long before the anti's want this in all guns

Fabulous (sarcasm)!

Apparently Ruger's plan is to offer technology to track guns that (now) only their guns are compatible with in the hopes of locking up more volume deals with agencies.

Perhaps in the future, all guns will have similar technology and the anti's hopes for national confiscation will be aided.

Fabulous (sarcasm)!

Apparently Ruger's plan is to offer technology to track guns that (now) only their guns are compatible with in the hopes of locking up more volume deals with agencies.

Perhaps in the future, all guns will have similar technology and the anti's hopes for national confiscation will be aided.

Ruger?

Reading comprehension = FAIL

Good grief.

You know, Sig must realize what the rest of us are thinking. Lame.

Last edited:
If you look into the technology you'll quickly realize that it isn't something that is viable to track every weapon. The current specs have it capable of tracking ~10,000 sq. ft. and, though multiple loops can be essentially tied together, I don't see it happening. Aside from that the tags have a 5 year expected lifespan. I suppose they'll be implementing a new requirement to get your weapons re-tagged every 4 years. And, finally, there will always be ways to defeat a system. I am quite sure that there are containers that would block RuBee transmissions just as there are containers that block RFID transmissions. Long story short, while I don't think that gun control is going in a good direction I am fairly confident it won't be reaching this point any time soon. Then again, maybe it's just because I left my tin foil hat at home.

ON TOPIC: The Sig special should be interesting at least! ;)

Back
Top Bottom