You can't argue with a liberal, but you can make them speechless

So I've been lurking for a bit but thought I'd post. Now this argument has probably been used by those far more adept in the Bill of Rights than myself, though I think I held my own pretty well as his only response was "I'm not speaking to you for the rest of the day."

First let me say, I like this guy. He's a good sport and we can have lively debates without too much friction.

His lefty-liberal argument.
Ban and all semi-automatic weapons (at a Federal Level). Pistols, rifles, plinkers....ALL
Ban all Rifles, even bolt action
Ban all handguns (yeah even the single shot ones and 22 target pistols)
Under his rule of law, we can all still keep our semi-automatic shotguns (3 round limit) or double barrels. This seems to be a bit of a conflict in relation to his other mandates, but whatever.

Oh and under his mandate, we would need to either voluntarily surrender these weapons of mass destruction or face severe penalties (he mentioned tongue and cheek..you lose a hand if you don't surrender).

My response was pretty simple:
Since the Second Amendment is in the Bill of Rights, the only way this could possibly happen as quickly as he would like, would be for President Trump (AKA the Devil to him) to declare martial law. The military would basically need to engage all law abiding citizens like myself to take our guns and place them into the cache of said devil President Trump. I also explained that by abolishing the Bill of Rights, he would not longer have the right to free speech and I'm sure his 1st amendment protected utterances about the Evil Demon President Trump would be scrutinized heavily....Also 4th amendment search and seizure and other critical pieces would be nullified as well. So since weed is illegal at a Federal level, well he better find some good hiding places.

Somehow, I think that this extreme scenario may have clicked on him exactly why we we need the Second Amendment...to keep oppressive governments (Trump as a dictator was especially scary to him) from taking over with no possible resistance from its citizenry.
I say this because he had absolutely no retort...other than to not talk to me for the rest of the day which was okay with me...I was tired of being asked why I would need an AR-15 to hunt with, even though in MA I can pretty-much only hunt coyotes with them (shotgun and musket only for deer hunting) and I hear that they really aren't great eating anyway!

Anyway, I've seen so many posts go incredibly sideways, so I implore you to be gentle with me on my first thread.

I like it! You told him your side and made him question his. Perfect!

Thanks for this great post and keep them coming!

~Matt

Well done.

The first step when confronted with the "Take them away!" argument is to point out that taking away one thing sets a precedent for taking away others. Maybe something that they think is important....

I'm guessing that a lot of the Take them away people, that care not about the 2A and 4A implications, are still p!ssed about Gitmo, and the lack of due process. ( I think that it's wrong, as a libertarian, but I'm not arguing that, now....)

I say we abolish the 3rd amendment. Let’s see how these Richard-holes like having a dozen soldiers in their living room drinking their beer, pissing on the lawn and telling off color jokes while leaving dip cups all over the place.

you found the 1 liberal that actually would listen to you.. the majority don't give a shit about any of their rights as they're all too shortsighted to see the ramifications of their desires.

I'd say he humored me, I don't think he agreed...but still had nothing to say...Thing is that I humor him too. The key is knowledge and if you really listen to someone, you can usually outsmart them with facts.

I say we abolish the 3rd amendment. Let’s see how these Richard-holes like having a dozen soldiers in their living room drinking their beer, pissing on the lawn and telling off color jokes while leaving dip cups all over the place.
Funny thing is that the typical liberal really has no clue about the bill of rights...ask him what the 3rd amendment is and the reply "I'll get back to you later".

Barring Marshal Law, there is a means for him to reach his ends...
One must simply convene a Constitutional Convention, a process clearly laid out in law.
Assuming the 2nd amendment is overturned at that Convention, one must then overturn the language in the Constitutions of, I believe, forty-six of the States with Constitutional language that mimics the 2nd Amendment (including Massachusetts.)
While the Constitutional Convention is underway, one may as well overturn the 5th, 4th, and 10th Amendments because, lacking a comprehensive registration database, Citizens will have to be compelled to turn over their (now illegal) guns, submit to searches, and of course those States that refuse to submit to the will of the Federal Government will have to be overruled. And the 9th Amendment MUST fall, because it confirms that undefined Rights are assumed Rights.
And, of course, the only force large enough for a door to door search and seizure operation is the Military, so Posse Comitatus will have to be reversed.

See? Simple. An what remains of America will be everything he ever hoped for... Until Trump was elected. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

@jtnf and this is the purest example of the slippery slope...but like others have said; our liberal friends have already discounted us as dimwit gun toting fools.
God forbid they be shocked that us miscreants be armed with actual legal prowess and knowledge.
Killer thing about this entire thing is my liberal friend lives in West Roxbury...he can't even have groceries delivered outside his door without getting them stolen! Talk about someone who would actually benefit from a CCW!
Though he's safe because the number of legal LTC's in his neighborhood come to less than 1 percent...it's done a wonderful job of curbing gun violence!

Today I responded to a liberals tirade about the Supreme Courts ruling on Immigrants and detention without bail and how un Constitutional it was. I told them that's why the the People have 300 million guns so that can't happen to Citizens. They were missed at their own inconsistency.

Well done.

The first step when confronted with the "Take them away!" argument is to point out that taking away one thing sets a precedent for taking away others. Maybe something that they think is important....

I'm guessing that a lot of the Take them away people, that care not about the 2A and 4A implications, are still p!ssed about Gitmo, and the lack of due process. ( I think that it's wrong, as a libertarian, but I'm not arguing that, now....)

Nah, some liberals just have a view of the world that is completely at odds with mine.

I know one at work - ban everything, all guns, toy guns, bows, arrows, hunting, dial down violence in video games etc.

I asked him once what would he do in a SHTF scenario - he said he has a lot of sleeping pills and he'll just take them all.

@jtnf and this is the purest example of the slippery slope...but like others have said; our liberal friends have already discounted us as dimwit gun toting fools.
God forbid they be shocked that us miscreants be armed with actual legal prowess and knowledge.

Kinda like when the Twisted Sister singer was testifying before congress and al gores wife about how terrible the music was for children.

"Under his rule of law, we can all still keep our semi-automatic shotguns (3 round limit) or double barrels. This seems to be a bit of a conflict in relation to his other mandates, but whatever."

Would a smooth-bore shot-shell upper make an AR a shotgun?

Last edited:
I asked him once what would he do in a SHTF scenario - he said he has a lot of sleeping pills and he'll just take them all.
To become proficient in a SHTF scenario you should practice your plan, ask him to do a dry run of his tomorrow night.

Nah, some liberals just have a view of the world that is completely at odds with mine.
I know one at work - ban everything, all guns, toy guns, bows, arrows, hunting, dial down violence in video games etc.
Did you remind him there's nothing stopping him from taking them all right now? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom