• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You asked for it

Heh... unless you guys are all full of crap, we're going to probably triple or quadruple the turnout from last time (A beautiful July weekend) [smile]

Matt had a good point today... We better pray for frozen cause that'll be a lot better than mud!

Last edited:
Heh... unless you guys are all full of crap, we're going to probably triple or quadruple the turnout from last time (A beautiful July weekend) [smile]

Matt had a good point today... We better pray for frozen cause that'll be a lot better than mud!

Worst case would be a few days at 35degrees and windy. Just warm enough to melt and form slush! Pray for cold!!

I am very interested in doing this, is there any information that I need or memberships. Should I just pay attention to this thread?

I am very interested in doing this, is there any information that I need or memberships. Should I just pay attention to this thread?

Click on the top link in my signature. There will be a new thread announcing the details as soon (or shortly after) I see the registration link up on the RWVA website

Just watch this section of the forum, and the registration link will be posted. What are you planning to use for a rifle? I highly recommend a 10/22 with a sling and tech sights added. You can buy and equip said rifle for about what it would cost in ammo to shoot an Appleseed with a 223.

Just watch this section of the forum, and the registration link will be posted. What are you planning to use for a rifle? I highly recommend a 10/22 with a sling and tech sights added. You can buy and equip said rifle for about what it would cost in ammo to shoot an Appleseed with a 223.

And the nice part about getting a Liberty Training Rifle is that you can continue to practice for very short money - and practice is key.

I was thinking about bring my granfathers winchester model 68- Do you think that would be a good chioce?

I don't know - I've never seen a Winchester Model 68.

Does it have adjustable sights (military-style peeps preferred)? Do you have enough magazines so you can fire 40 aimed rounds in 4 minutes (without having to have someone reload mags for you)? Does it have a sling? Is it RELIABLE? Can you afford to shoot up to 500 or 700 rounds out of it in a weekend?

If you have 5 affirmative answers, then I wouldn't hesitate to bring it. Note that the only MUST answers are the last two - but you'll get much more out of the program if you can answer yes to all 5 questions.

And the nice part about getting a Liberty Training Rifle is that you can continue to practice for very short money - and practice is key.

And many indoor ranges allow .22 rifle. Nice in the winter. I think there are some targets scaled down for 50 foot ranges at the Appleseed Project page.

I don't know - I've never seen a Winchester Model 68.

Does it have adjustable sights (military-style peeps preferred)? Do you have enough magazines so you can fire 40 aimed rounds in 4 minutes (without having to have someone reload mags for you)? Does it have a sling? Is it RELIABLE? Can you afford to shoot up to 500 or 700 rounds out of it in a weekend?

If you have 5 affirmative answers, then I wouldn't hesitate to bring it. Note that the only MUST answers are the last two - but you'll get much more out of the program if you can answer yes to all 5 questions.

1. Yes peep sights
2. No, it is a single round gun with no magizine attachment.
3. No Sling yet
4. Never shot it yet, but hopefully this weekend
5. yes .22 cal

If possialble I would like to use this gun because it has so much sentimental value to it.

It'll work, but a mag fed semi auto would be much better. You'd be spending time making good shots instead of breaking your NPOA to load after each shot.

I can appreciate your wanting to use your grandfather's gun, but honestly, you'd get a LOT more out of the program with a magazine-fed rifle where you are not having to re-acquire your Natural Point Of Aim after each shot.

We'll work with you if that's what you want to do, but you'd learn more with a different rifle.

I can appreciate your wanting to use your grandfather's gun, but honestly, you'd get a LOT more out of the program with a magazine-fed rifle where you are not having to re-acquire your Natural Point Of Aim after each shot.

We'll work with you if that's what you want to do, but you'd learn more with a different rifle.

I appreciate your attitude and willingness to help even though ti may be harder to teach. I'll give it some thought and perhaps with a little time I will make a move on a mag fed gun.

I appreciate your attitude and willingness to help even though ti may be harder to teach. I'll give it some thought and perhaps with a little time I will make a move on a mag fed gun.

Keep an eye out in the used racks in the shops. 10/22's come up for short $$. I picked mine up for something $135. A little cleaning and I was good to go.

FWIW, at the mini up in Jaffery last week Crak talked about a guy coming with a single shot because it was what he was used to. While you'll get more out of the program with a 10/22 or other mag fed rifle, you'll get WAY more out of it with the single shot than you will reading about it after the fact wishing you'd gone.

Also, sometimes loaner 10/22's can be had, so you could try it and then switch to a bottom feeder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom