(yet another) Hunting Dog Referral request!

Here's the deal, I read the previous lab and shepherd, and X dog referral threads. I even pm'ed a couple people from them.

I'm looking for a hunting dog. Something that I can expect to snag duck/goose, pheasant, flush, and has a family history of being steady. Well biddable is a plus, along with the tenacity of a bull dog. (I'm a new trainer too, so I need smart.)

I'm not restricting to a particular breed, so I'd love breed and breeder recs.
It would be nice to have a pup that can be trained and competent for:
- Duck
- Goose
- Pheasant
- Quail
- Chukar
- Scent tracking

Physically capable of handling what the northeastern environment can dish out (COLD!). Only other caveat, needs to be smart enough to know - "squirrel are ok, but touch my cat and you're becoming a set of fur gloves."

I'm initially leaning towards a Chessie or a Lab, but would be interested in a GSP. I'd prefer to not have to ship the pup here, and I'd like to have a breeder close enough that I can use them as a training resource. (For example, proper gun intro, and force fetch training.) So obviously, preference goes to an active hunter breeder...

Ok, thanks for any suggestions! :)

May seem a little effeminate but a Standard Poodle would meet all of your requirements and more.

They are the #2 dog for intelligence (super easy to train), are considered gun/hunting dogs (that love the water), and are great family pets.

May seem a little effeminate but a Standard Poodle would meet all of your requirements and more.

That was a thought! However, my concern is that most poodles are now bred for preening as opposed to hunting - which I would think both goals are at odds with each other. Also, I figured the poodle as a status dog would have put their prices well out of my budget. Thoughts?

That was a thought! However, my concern is that most poodles are now bred for preening as opposed to hunting - which I would think both goals are at odds with each other. Also, I figured the poodle as a status dog would have put their prices well out of my budget. Thoughts?

This is generally very true. Technically poodles are classified in the retriever category and are eligible to run in Retriever hunt tests and Field trials. In all the years I have been running them, I have only seen 2 poodles even entered, and both are owned by the same folks. They do fairly well, but the trainers will tell you they do not have the drive or tenacity that a well bred lab will have. I think it is mostly that they have been bred for YEARS without any regard to hunting ability. In any breeding program, if you don't breed for specific traits, you will eventually lose those traits.

Note however, much of the same phenomenon has been going on with the Labs and Goldens. These breeds have essentially split between the "show" stock and the "field" stock. I have seen many folks trying to train non field bred dogs to do high level field work. In most cases, it doesn't work. In short, if you are looking for a hunting dog, it is not only important that they have "papers", but it is VERY important as to what is actually on the "papers". Pedigree matters. Proven pedigree will much more often produce more capable pups.

As far as interactions with a cat, as long as you get a puppy and train the rules early, you shouldn't have too many issues. We've had GSPs, Labs, beagles, and a bunch of mutts and as long as they were informed early on that the cat was not a toy/food, they all did well with our cats. Other cats out and about they still felt were fair game.

My family is currently considering a Draahthar as our next dog. They are a German wirehaired pointer that has been bred specifically for hunting ability and have to pass tests in order to be registered in thea breeding program with the VDD (Verein Deutsch Drahthaar). The group sees them as a seperate breed from the Wirehaired pointer. http://vdd-gna.org/

There are still people out there who breed poodles for hunting just got to look, a quick search on Yahoo brought up a few places (none of which I know personally), I am sure that you could find many more putting in a little time. I don't have any direct experience with a dog bred/trained for hunting so I am certainly no expert on the subject, just more of a dog enthusiast that saw the poodle fitting a lot of your criteria.

No matter what dog you chose Poodle, Pointer, Lab, or anything else you need to put the time in to train it. Checking out the breeders place, confirming the information that they provide you, getting the proper health screenings done, and most of all providing lots of attention will give you the best chance at a quality dog. As the saying goes you get what you pay for, and a good hunting dog will cost you some bucks.

I think that it is tough to say whats the best dog for this or that because people of all walks have trained every breed of dog to do every task you can think of. Just depends on the time and energy you put in, but the right genetics and "drive" will provide you the best chance at success.

Best of luck.

Other cats out and about they still felt were fair game.
Yeah, my cat's in inside only prisoner, so good to go there hopefully. I wouldn't mind a pup that brings me a fresh squirrel from to time, good enough eating. ;)

My family is currently considering a Draahthar as our next dog.

I'm going to look at that. I've been leaning lab, but the boss just told me that she WILL have a GSP. My response was, we need a yard, since I'm getting a lab too. (Granted, we have her first dog right now, and haven't had her for more than a year yet!)

DJF3864 - yeah, I'm sure there are hunting poodles being bred, but they're off the table, turns out they are the boss's least favorite dog breed, even moreso than shih tzus, chihuahuas and pomerians. My mind was properly boggled. As you mention, just about every breed has been trained to hunt/ work, what I'm looking for is the genetic predisposition. I want birdy, bold, ballsy, wants to track, and smart enough to take my direction.

Anyone have any experience with a britany?

Waterfowl hunting pretty much limits your choices to Labs and Chessies. There are some spaniels and maybe a few others that may or may not go swimming out for your ducks or geese in icy water, but not many. Chessies are great dogs, but they can be hard to train, and they are not the friendliest breed. A good field-bred Lab would be at the top of my list. Good training and a limited diet are really important. Labs love to eat, and the fat ones get torn ACLs and Achilles tendons, among other injuries. The slim ones live longer. Good luck.

Chessies are great dogs, but they can be hard to train, and they are not the friendliest breed. A good field-bred Lab would be at the top of my list.

That dog only needs to be friendly with my girl, my mom, and me. ;)

I think you're right, the water here might be too much for a GSP.

@dixidawg - I owe you a response via PM. You've given me a ton to think about. :)

That dog only needs to be friendly with my girl, my mom, and me. ;)

I think you're right, the water here might be too much for a GSP.

@dixidawg - I owe you a response via PM. You've given me a ton to think about. :)

We had a wire hair that was a great field/water dog.

Our WPG loves the field, water and snow. She's not fond of the heat though. Naturally points in the field, and retrieves in the water. We've yet to do any waterfowling.

Back
Top Bottom