Yet another AR build

Got the last part in the mail today, threw them together to see what it'd look like fully assembled. Any weird stuff (like the sling plate being on the wrong side of the castle nut) are because it's just together for a quick photo. Still waiting on punches and a vise to fully assemble it. I started out aiming for a budget build, but crept up a bit in price for certain parts. Looking forward to getting it out on the range.

armockup.jpg

LPK from group buy
LRB Lower (also group buy)
Del-ton upper
762 Industries BCG
16" Redxarms bull barrel
Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock
11" Troy BattleRail w/ sight

More pics as I assemble it next week.

Nice set up. Have a few builds under my belt and have enough for a another. Have not decided what kind of rails I want this time. Like the rails you used.

The troy rail is one of the places I diverged from having a budget build, but I love the look of it, and having an integrated front sight was a nice plus. Troy sells rubber inserts for the vent holes which improve the grip. I was thinking about picking up some, but I'll probably wait to see how holding it is first. I plan on eventually getting an optic of some kind for it, but for now I'll just be using the flip ups.

Last couple tools should arrive today, so assembly pics later tonight. I'm going to attempt to build it using a Jawhorse rather than a traditional bench vise, so hopefully my experience will be useful for others who are space limited (damn tiny apartment).

The jawhorse worked great. Installing the barrel and torquing it down was a breeze. Part way through installing the gas block:

IMG_20130819_190225.jpg

The rail was significantly more difficult, partly because of the bull barrel, and partly because I think the barrel nut was slightly larger than spec (the battlerail alpha series clamps down on a standard ar-15 barrel nut). Eventually I had to put it in the jawhorse like this and smack it around with the nylon end of my hammer:

IMG_20130819_200030.jpg

I didn't use the jawhorse much for the lower, but it was great for the upper. Don't regret buying it at all. I'm sure I'll get tons of future use out of it. No pics of lower assembly, but here's the final product:

IMG_20130819_224319.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130819_215903.jpg
    IMG_20130819_215903.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom