Yep, Obama bows again....to Indian paliament....

Status
Not open for further replies.
iT'S greatly different. One is adapting to their custom, the other is pissing on yourself in submission in front of the world.

It's great to see that he's aware of what is considered polite manners in another country. You can't be a diplomat if you're accidentally (or purposefully) insulting other countries by being unaware of or choosing to ignore their customs. It's no different than Geroge W. holding hands with Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah.

THIS

His trip also coincidently coincided with some Muslim holiday (Eid al-Adha?) which I think started today... 200 million a day for him to fly to the other side of the world, attend church, see a museum, bow before another world leader, and dance some Indian dance.

According to the first few sites that came up on Google, it starts Novemeber 16th. Not sure how it is a coincidence with his India trip.

Sorry, it's the Diwali Festival. The Islamic people in my office had a special lunch. I closed my door and looked for a new .308 over at the hide.

http://www.diwalifestival.org/diwali-calendar.html

Seriously? Are we becoming this racist and dumb on NES?
Diwali is a HINDU festival. Has nothing to do with Islam. Yet you locked yourself away rather than trying to learn and understand it. Whats the harm in having a little free food. Who knows maybe some of them were fellow NES members!!!!

Can we please remember that we are not all WASP new englanders on the board? Members here come from all backgrounds.

You sir just reinforced every stereotype the left has of us right wing extremist nut jobs. Thanks.

Diwali is a HINDU festival. Has nothing to do with Islam. Yet you locked yourself away rather than trying to learn and understand it. Whats the harm in having a little free food. Who knows maybe some of them were fellow NES members!!!!

Can we please remember that we are not all WASP new englanders on the board? Members here come from all backgrounds.

You sir just reinforced every stereotype the left has of us right wing extremist nut jobs. Thanks.

Hey now, that guy's an American, and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. And I don't appreciate you putting pressure on him to celebrate 'cultural diversity' if he doesn't want to.

Hey now, that guy's an American, and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. And I don't appreciate you putting pressure on him to celebrate 'cultural diversity' if he doesn't want to.

How do we know he is an American? All we know is his screen name. He may be a communist in mexican clothing that jumped over the border fence for all we know!!!! [shocked]
And its not celebrating cultural diversity. Join in. If we want people to respect our holidays like Christmas, we should learn to respect their holidays as well. And any holiday celebration that involves free food and time away from a cubicle is worth celebrating.

And if you just want to fight the cultural diversity fine. But remember you cant beat your enemy without knowing your enemy. Consider partaking in the festivities as a reconnaissance.

Jesus H Christ...its called being polite.

When you greet an Indian, you typically say "Nah-mah-stay", fold your hands and bow slightly.

That's what you do if you're a pussy. I put out my hand for a good ol' fashioned handshake, & if the person isn't familiar with THAT custom, they're not worth my time or effort.

How do we know he is an American? All we know is his screen name. He may be a communist in mexican clothing that jumped over the border fence for all we know!!!! [shocked]
And its not celebrating cultural diversity. Join in. If we want people to respect our holidays like Christmas, we should learn to respect their holidays as well. And any holiday celebration that involves free food and time away from a cubicle is worth celebrating.

And if you just want to fight the cultural diversity fine. But remember you cant beat your enemy without knowing your enemy. Consider partaking in the festivities as a reconnaissance.

Yes, he could be a communist mexican drug runner, and I would still support his right to do his own thing.

I don't care if anyone respects Christmas.

I'm not fighting cultural diversity, I'm advocating someone's right to ignore an event he chooses to.

Recon is great and everything, sure. Just maybe not necessary here?

You said something else in this thread that I thought was funny.

The construction of that sentence suggests that we ARE right wing extremist nutjobs, and he reinforced stereotypes about us.

What do you think Sigmund Freud would have said about that?

Let me ask you this:

Who gives a flying fornication what the left thinks?

It seems to me you're the one making this a racial thing.

No, I reinforced the basis of America. CHOICE. I chose not to participate and quietly closed my door. I have no problem with the festival as long as it's organizers / participants don't have a problem with the Christmas festival I'll attend. You jumped to the conclusion my actions were being racist.

That's what you do if you're a pussy. I put out my hand for a good ol' fashioned handshake, & if the person isn't familiar with THAT custom, they're not worth my time or effort.

Spoken as a truly unenlightened ignorant redneck.

It's great to see that he's aware of what is considered polite manners in another country. You can't be a diplomat if you're accidentally (or purposefully) insulting other countries by being unaware of or choosing to ignore their customs. It's no different than Geroge W. holding hands with Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah.
oh you mean like giving the Queen of England an iPod or a DVDs to Gordon Brown?

I have to say, this is getting over the top. When you visit other countries, you typically learn and use their greeting techniques out of respect. Just as someone visiting the US should be expected to shake hands when meeting. If we're talking bowing as in bowing to a deity, now that is different. I see no problem with mutual greetings however.

If BHO wnts to bend over like a pillow biter thats his business,however when he is on the clock for America,stand up straight. The United States President bows to no man.

I find it hypocritcally interesting how many here preach the whole "show some respect and speak English and follow our customs while here" line (which I understand) yet find it unacceptable that a professional diplomat is showing respect to a friendly nation while he's visiting there. Seems a bit immature and impractical. That having been said, I still laughed at some of the funnier comments because my sense of humor goes far beyond immature and impractical into the realm of poor taste. I'm cool with it, though.

Spoken as a truly unenlightened ignorant redneck.

You're obviously mistaking me for someone else, like maybe 'yo Mama. [wink]

My neck may be red after a good day at the beach, but I'm quite the well educated, enlightened, & classy b*tch. I speak 5 languages, & have spent a lot of time overseas. I'm very familiar with the history & customs of many cultures.

I am tired of the POTUS bowing to foreigners, & apologizing for the actions of this Country on foreign soil. If in your little mind, that makes ME unenlightened & ignorant, then YOU'RE not worth my time or effort either.

I find it hypocritcally interesting how many here preach the whole "show some respect and speak English and follow our customs while here" line (which I understand) yet find it unacceptable that a professional diplomat is showing respect to a friendly nation while he's visiting there. Seems a bit immature and impractical. That having been said, I still laughed at some of the funnier comments because my sense of humor goes far beyond immature and impractical into the realm of poor taste. I'm cool with it, though.

Don't go calling names because people can't stand to see the uncultured Kenyan from Chicago act like he's showing respect to other leaders.

Bow. It's the accepted cross-cultural norm. Be a beta male. Debase yourself. Lie prostrate, roll over, and let the superior one rub your belly.

But it's not part of OUR culture, and I find it disgusting.

Notice the little pat on the shoulder at the end. Good dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus H Christ...its called being polite.

When you greet an Indian, you typically say "Nah-mah-stay", fold your hands and bow slightly.

Of course, many countries don't shake hands. How ignorant can you be.
When Asians come here they shake hands and the most flattering thing you can do is know someone else's culture. Mutual respect and let's do business.

His taking an Asian trip is a very effective offense v. Muslim radicals.
Radicalizing (brainwashing) anyone; Christian, Jew or Muslim is very easy to do, the "us" .v "them" mentality.
We all fall for it every time. He just 'enlightened' millions of Muslims with a couple of simple polite acts.

Do I think the Irag & Afghanistan democratizing strategies will work? I doubt it.
Did George Bush's use of the word 'Crusade' (what a moron) encourage our Asian allies? I doubt it.
Can we defeat Al-Qaeda without Asian allies? I doubt that one too.
Is it better to have the Asian Muslim countries accept a large part of fighting Al-Qaeda? Oh yes!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom