• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW2 Military Arms and Reproduction Shoot (MARS) 17Jun2012

SAVE THE DATE – June 17, 2012

WW II- Military Arms and Reproduction Shoot (MARS)

Four Objectives (“stages”) using a rifle, pistol or both.

Likely round count to a minimum of 50 rifle and 50 pistol, using:

Mod. M1 –Garand
Mod. M-1903
Mod. M1– Carbine
Mod. M1903
Mod. M1917
or other military issue rifle pre-1950, chambered for .30 cal or greater. Bolt action or semi-automatic welcome. “Captured” weapons welcome.

NO: M-14’s, AR15’s, M16’s or any other “modern” issue;
Leave all the optics home, iron sights only.

Side arms: Mod. 1911 or M1927
Mod. 10 Smith and Wesson M&P Revolver in .38 or
Mod. M1903
or any single stack .45 and or modern issue double stack to be loaded with 8 rounds of ammunition maximum and any revolver with a caliber designation of .38 or higher. No ported and no optics.

Embark to the Harvard Sportsman’s Club Action Shooting Pits on 17Jun2012 Dressed comfortably and preferably in World War II era clothing (not required). No “Axis” attire please.

Safety briefing 0845
MISSION H-Hour is 0900.

OBJECTIVE:
Enjoy an action shooting event while shooting authentic or replica military arms. While the event will be competitive in nature, safety and FUN are the objectives, in that order.

Pre-register (required) or questions to [email protected].

schrik.gif
I'll be there... if I'm not needed to run the Appleseed Shoot scheduled for the 65 yard range that day.

BTW... wasn't this Memorial Day last year?

Last edited:
this sounds awesome, not sure what my schedule will be, but I'd love to make it. Few questions:

1. What if optics was original issue (like PU sniper)?
2. I'd imagine it would be three position shoot. If "rifle" (x-mg) originally came with a bipod, can we use that in at least two positions ... **** yeah, I can shoulder a 1919 while standing.
3. No MG (in semi-auto [sad]) category???
4. What's up with no "axis" attire? not that I have or would want to, just saying ...

this sounds awesome, not sure what my schedule will be, but I'd love to make it. Few questions:

2. I'd imagine it would be three position shoot. If "rifle" (x-mg) originally came with a bipod, can we use that in at least two positions ... **** yeah, I can shoulder a 1919 while standing.
4. What's up with no "axis" attire? not that I have or would want to, just saying ...

2 - IIRC, we were doing mostly off-hand last year, with some kneeling on the 65 yard range. The longest shot you're liable to see this year, I'm thinking, will be probably less than 40 yards (since Appleseed has the 65 yard range taken).
4 - because when this was started last year, it was for Memorial Day. The only Axis uniform I'd like to see should be a target.

BTW... this is also Father's Day. Apparently both MARS and I didn't check for that before scheduling the shoots. [thinking] In my defense, it's just been another day for me for 25+ years - and at that, one to avoid the radio and TV.

No optics for this shoot even if it was original equipment and no thanks on the MG, you can always join the Class 3 group at Harvard I am sure they would enjoy another shooter. As for the Axis attire- let's just say we'll keep it on the Allied side and leave the drama out.

yes, for this match I have included weapons pre-1950 and since the design started around 1945 with it being put into service around 1949, it qualifies. With a higher capacity than an M1, there is a possibility that I'll make a seperate catagory for High capacity (over 8 round mag.) along with the M1 Carbine.

If you limit the rounds in the mag. sure you'll be just like the rest of us 8 rounders. Last year we only had a couple of people who brought the big sticks, I guess they don't like a challenge.

I don't get it, why is hi cap an issue? I thought this was strictly shooting your own target, is this some sort of head to head comp where mag capacity matters? Beltfeds are ok then?

I don't get it, why is hi cap an issue? I thought this was strictly shooting your own target, is this some sort of head to head comp where mag capacity matters? Beltfeds are ok then?

You shoot your own target, but it's a timed event and fewer reloads makes for a faster time. Last year I ran my M1 carbine with the "hi cap" mags because running a Garand through an action course is very likely to injure my back. However, I loaded 8 in each mag because I'm not trying to avoid a challenge; just pain and further padding of my chiropractor's retirement fund. [wink] I believe I was put in the "high capacity" scoring class anyway, but I doubt anyone cared what category I was in by the end of the day as my 1911 developed extracting issues on the end of the 2nd stage and my bad scores went straight into the basement after that.

Beltfeds....Can we have a team stage for crew served weapons??? [wink][rofl]

Beltfeds....Can we have a team stage for crew served weapons??? [wink][rofl]

that would be awesome! I don't know where one would find asbestos glove anymore to change barrels on "captured" mg42, a barrel change event would be awesome as part of the requirement.

that would be awesome! I don't know where one would find asbestos glove anymore to change barrels on "captured" mg42, a barrel change event would be awesome as part of the requirement.

Allow me to introduce you to one of our favorite money sinks. Search for "glove". I don't know that it's asbestos, but it'll do the trick.

In on barrel change competition! We've got that down to a science on the M2.

Tried to get info on course of fire and cost. The address came back as a possible phishing site and when coping and pasting the email failed.

Mike

Last edited:
Too bad no full autos. Have a friend with a Browning 1919 and is looking for a reason to shoot it.

Mike

Last edited:
I have e-mailed Ira about this shoot both this year and last and had no problem with his address FWIW. Cost as I remember was 20 bucks or so (maybe 30?). It was a USPSA/IDPA style shoot with 4 or 5 stages. The round count was fairly low but they put some thought into it. I had a great time at it last year and I'm looking forward to it again. Enblocs on the clock was pretty fun.

Thanks. I'm interested in doing the shoot and was wondering if there was a course for the Thompson. Have a SBR Thompson I may break out for this.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm interested in doing the shoot and was wondering if there was a course for the Thompson. Have a SBR Thompson I may break out for this.

Mike

Unfortunately, full auto is not allowed in the action pits - there are a couple of Class III pits where it is allowed but they're probably a quarter mile away. So I doubt you'll be able to fire that Tommy gun in full auto for this shoot.

Unfortunately, full auto is not allowed in the action pits - there are a couple of Class III pits where it is allowed but they're probably a quarter mile away. So I doubt you'll be able to fire that Tommy gun in full auto for this shoot.

I guess bumpfire stocks are neither very "authentic" or pre-50s [laugh]

It's a Short Barrel Rifle not full auto. Wondering if there will be a course for this.

Mike

My bad... I just assumed.

Hmm... it does say "or other military issue rifle pre-1950, chambered for .30 cal or greater. Bolt action or semi-automatic welcome. “Captured” weapons welcome.", so... didn't they issue the Thompson in WWII? I'd think you'd be OK under that.

As for "captured" weapons... not sure I can get my Enfield in under that!! [laugh]

I'm in!
Any chance of a bayonet charge?

If there is, I'm going to HAVE to let JayG know about this shoot. He's notorious for bayonet charges.

It would be nice if I could. I take it out once in a while for fun. If not there's always the Garand or carbine.

Mile

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom