WV gets Constitutional Carry!

After a hard fought battle, West Virginia has Constitutional Carry after overriding the Governor's Veto. In 90 Days (end of May), any one in the state of West Viriginia (resident or non-resident) not otherwise prohibited may conceal carry a firearm.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/wv-...ernors-veto-constitutional-carry-becomes-law/

from the WVCDL :
Victory!
This is by far the best WVCDL-ALERT message I've ever had the pleasure of composing. Today the final hurdle was cleared. The Senate over-rode the Governor's veto, and as of the end of May, Constitutional Carry will be the effective law in West Virginia.
3-22. Right to keep and bear arms.
A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use.
My pride in you, our members and supporters, could not possibly be greater. I am comfortable speaking for Art, Amber, Tom, and Keith (Campbell), and saying that allowing us to be your voice has been, and continues to be deeply humbling and awe inspiring. No group in the history of West Virginia has had political and policy successes anywhere near the scale of what you have accomplished.
The lives, liberty, and safety of 1.8 million West Virginians are improved today, thanks to your efforts. And now, West Virginia joins the national narrative as a model for other states fighting for their liberty and personal safety. We have, and will continue to impact policy nationwide.
And as we digest the magnitude of your accomplishment, let's have a look at just a few who stood against us and fought us tooth and nail:
Billionaire Mike Bloomberg
Senator Joe Manchin
Governor Earl Ray Tomblin
The WV Sheriff's Association
The WV Fraternal Order of Police.
Kanawha County Commissioner Kent Carper
Statewide broadcast media.
Statewide print media.
Charleston Mayor Danny Jones.
WV media mogul Bray Carey.
House Majority Leader Daryl Cowles.
Senator Corey Palumbo.
Senator Herb Snyder.
Senator Mike Romano.
Senator Bob Beach.
Delegate Nancy Guthrie.
Delegate Stephen Skinner.
Delegate Mike Pushkin.
Many others.
In the face of enormous, and well-funded opposition brimming with lies and deceit from both within and without the state, you made this incredible leap forward in the recovery of our liberties.
Your state, as well as our posterity owes you all a deep debt. You made this happen.
Tonight, in whatever way you feel is most appropriate, celebrate. Celebrate victory. Celebrate liberty.

Awesome. Overriding a veto is even sweeter! But 90% of americans support gun control [rolleyes]

Sweet. W/ a little luck SC will be next. It has already passed the house and just needs to get through the senate.
That will be a vast improvement on current laws, considering South Carolina has a less than stellar reciprocity map and you have to own property in South Carolina to get a non-resident permit. It's not a true Constitutional carry bill because open carry of handguns would still not be allowed.

Is NH going to try to pass CC again this year?

There's a bill (HB1400) to remove "suitability" language to make permits "shall issue" instead of discretionary. Not Constitutional Carry but a step in the right direction. It might be a small enough step for the General Court to override Mad Maggie when she issues the inevitable veto.

That will be a vast improvement on current laws, considering South Carolina has a less than stellar reciprocity map and you have to own property in South Carolina to get a non-resident permit. It's not a true Constitutional carry bill because open carry of handguns would still not be allowed.

GA isn't much better. Your lic is honored in 2 more states than SC and you recognize a handful more than we do. However, as much as the owing land to get a non res sucks, you can't get a non res in GA unless you are military or ret mil.

Military personnel stationed in Georgia may apply for a GA Carry License. Those in the Military or Honorably Discharged aged 18-20 can apply. Check with the Probate Court in the county you are stationed in. Houston County Probate Court states this on their website, Military persons must bring a copy of their papers showing they are stationed at Robins Air Force Base if they have not changed their driver's license.
http://handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

The pending legislation may not be perfect but it is a huge step in the right direction.

I thought Georgia was a very pro gun southern state, but I was shopping on some sights and I noticed they wouldn't send some very common items to Georgia. Also this Hard Fought Victory in WV doesn't mean we can get the same outcome here behind the iron curtain , but it does show all that we have to fight for our rights ( show up at state house and make calls) however small a step it is !

Last edited:
Awesome news coming outta my old home, why did I ever leave WV [grin]. I've been following this since the last attempt, glad they were able to override the veto this time.

To Tomblin,

latest

GA isn't much better. Your lic is honored in 2 more states than SC and you recognize a handful more than we do. However, as much as the owing land to get a non res sucks, you can't get a non res in GA unless you are military or ret mil.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

The pending legislation may not be perfect but it is a huge step in the right direction.

Definitely agree, however Georgia will honor non resident permits from many states, while SC will not honor any other states non resident permit. If your home states permit is not honored in GA It's easy for instance to get a NH non resident permit if you want to carry in GA.

Back
Top Bottom