WTF? is this ammo for the Garand Match?

How about the ammo that I didn't see? Was there Corrosive Ammo? Were Re-loads issued? Was there ammo from 1918?

As to M-2 Ball shooting all the same? Really?

Did someone at the Match have M-72 Match ammo mixed in? And how would that bullet at 173 Grs. fly or compare to all the rest of the 150 gr. M-2 Ball? Guys You know the Answer......Just say'n

You are 100% correct. The mix of issued ammo sucked and made it extremely hard to shoot a good score.

It sucked for ALL THE SHOOTERS.

I can see this being a beef if you were looking to shoot a National record for high score in a Garand match, but local matches are decided on the line that day.

Reloads? I highly doubt it. 173 and 150 grainers mixed? It's certainly poosible.

Final thought: "The Level Playing Field" extends from the National Matches all the way to local CMP affiliated Club Garand Matches. They don't issue ammo from 3 different decades and 6 different manufacturers at Camp Perry...Even if everybody got "Mixed" ammo and everyone was equal in that regard. They don't do it for a reason. They don't introduce further variables into an already tough sport or game. Neither should ANY CMP SANCTIONED EVENT ...BE IT LOCAL OR NATIONAL.

I in no way was suggesting that had happened, only a question. I think you may have allowed the ammo thing to get between you and your ability to shoot well.

To quote a friend "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian". Matches are a great way to meet people and make some new friends along the way.

Last edited:
Pat, I'm gonna disagree with you here. When ammo issued to all participants is inconsistent and unpredictable, it does not take the equipment out of the equation leaving only shooter skill to prevail.

All it does is introduce a huge factor of chance into the equation. Crap ammo will not make a whole hill of beans difference when shooters of vastly different abilities are present as the best shooters will pull ahead. But it can make a significantly negative difference between similarly skilled shooters.

There is no way that CMP Garand matches can be considered anything resembling serious competition.

There is no way that CMP Garand matches can be considered anything resembling serious competition.

I know that they are called matches, but at some point I thought they were calling them recreational target events.

If I had money coming out of my ears, I'd buy one of those uber expensive M1 rack grade guns from DGR. All in the spirit of fairness. :)

B

If I had money coming out of my ears, I'd buy one of those uber expensive M1 rack grade guns from DGR. All in the spirit of fairness. :)

B
That and a box of tuned up loads for it.

Then watch all the CMP gamers whine like little girls about unfairness.

Guys, I'm going to try one more time:

At the big Garand match at CP, they issue good Hornady match ammo. The scores are generally high.
Locally, you mostly get some mixed ammo. The scores (with some exceptions) are generally lower.
Issue Hornady ammo locally and the scores would probably go up.
Issue crappy mixed ammo at CP and the scores would edge down.
More than likely, the same guys would win regardless of the ammo.

Ammo is just another variable, like wind, sun, etc. that all "competitors" must deal with.

Anyways, who really cares what the top score at one of these things is? If the scores are way down in the 220's because the ammo is limited to 5-MOA, so be it.
It's not supposed to be easy.

Here in Maine, I think they hold too many Garand matches at the expense of RMC's.

The main reason I like the CMP format......anyone can shoot it with out needing OR allowing way tricked out guns and ammo.

When A certain level of compitition creeps into something like the CMP shoots its no longer fun and a great experience for less skilled and equiped shooters.

I have alway like the bare bones type of compitions

not really a great description jose, but there is a certain satisfaction from shooting a good score with a 60 year old rifle and surplus ammo

Also I get a giddy feeling when I pop of the steel spinner targets with my bare bones off the shelf stock S&W 1911 as compared to shooting my Performance Center S&W 1911< which seems to almost shoot itself.

Great equipment is, well great and does help.
Shooting good with my bare bones 1911 just assures me I am holding to the fundementals and getting all I can out of what I have.

UPDATE: Got another CMP Garand Match in this weekend. Same Rifle, Same Distance (200 yd) but different Course of Fire (Course A not B), and To check my issue with the original post....I used "One Lot of AMA-87 M-2 Ball". As you may re-call, my original post used a mixed collection of ammo - as issued.

RESULT: My Score went up by 12 percent - "X" Count was up - no score lower than the 8 Ring.

ANALYSIS: My Score (%) was aided by not firing Seated. My score was higher due to "ONE" lot of ammo - No Variance

Of all the surplus 30-06 ball ammo, the Danish stuff (AMA) like you just used, always shot the best for me.

Shooting good with my bare bones 1911 just assures me I am holding to the fundementals and getting all I can out of what I have.

I submit to you that you will never know how good your fundamental are until the firearm and the ammo cease to be the limiting factors.

Yes Pat, The "AMA" is good ammo , I like it very much, too bad its not around anymore. The only bad thing is non-reloadable. I bought several lots with 2 distinct styles of bullets, some have a "nickel" colored bullets and the other has conventional colored "copper" bullets. I got some on 5 rd stripper clips and some on 8 rd clips.

Back
Top Bottom