WTF 1911 holsters designed for hammer down carry

Maybe this belongs in equipment since it's holster related, butI'll start it here since it's more general venting...

In my search for a holster for my 1911 I keep running into holsters with thumbstraps that require hammer down carry.

Am I missing something here??? Last I checked the only appropriate way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked. A strap that only fits with the hammer down preculdes this and basically makes the holster useless.

Just my $.02, but unless this is for open carry why have a retention strap ?

(BTW, You're right about carrying cocked & locked.)

Mr. Twig, I liked the idea of additional safety (strap blocks hammer from falling) and security.

But most of the designs that I have liked most (Mitch Rosen ARG, several Wilson Combats, concealco, Milt Sparks Summer Special, and some others) are all open top and that's probably the direction that I will go.

hrspear:

1) for concealed carry, skip the retention strap. The hammer isn't going to fall.
2) skip the large manufacturers like Galco, Bianchi, etc. They are mostly crap. Skip Wilson holsters as well.
3) get your holster from a good custom holster maker. It won't cost much more than Galco, but it will be far better quality.

There are dozens of good holster makers, including Mitch Kramer, Milt Sparks, Rusty Sherrick (c-rusty.com), etc.

My company blocks most manufacturer sites, like Galco, Bianchi, etc. as well as Brownells and Midway, so the links are to Amazon...

Galco carry light:
http://www.amazon.com/Galco®-Carry-...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1239291525&sr=8-11

http://www.amazon.com/Thumb-Break-H...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1239291434&sr=8-2

I was also shown a Bianchi holster at Four Seasons and told that all of Bianchi's 1911 thumbreak holsters are strictly hammer down.

Ditto on the blocked site issue at work. That's really interesting about the thumb break straps being used for hammer down carry. I never really looked into those as most of my research has been in the IWB realm, but I guess I always assumed they were meant for cocked and locked. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

Damn, and I just got rid of my shoulder rig not too long ago. It carried the C&L 1911 horizontally under the left armpit and had a double mag pouch on the right. I had gotten it for free, don't remember off the top of my head who made it. Have you tried Safariland yet?

I bought the PB7 holster and a good belt from Mernickle holsters and I love it for my 1911. OWB hi rise - open top. Very concealable and very comfortable. A little on the pricey side 185.00 for both delivered, but worth it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom