Wrong Pistol Grip

So yesterday I was at the range, my 5th time since being licensed and my worst day by far. I missed the target at 33' more times than all trips combined and couldn't figure out why. Obviously something was wrong because at that distance +/- 30' I had days where all shots where on paper even multiple bullseyes....

Well many rounds were spent trying to figure out why and it was my grip...... wrong thumb ontop! Now I can't wait to get back to make amends.

What a toolbag I am! [grenade]

As a new shooter, I would caution you against these kind of "ah-HA!" conclusions. Especially when you're starting out, you're probably going to suck. There's a tendency among all people (I did this for ~1 year, so maybe this is just projection) to try and compensate for every little problem and conclude that it was that one little thing and if only they could do it differently next time, then... Ultimately, a lot of things have to come together to put the round on target. Your grip is a big part of it, but probably not the biggest (being trigger pull). Focusing excessively on one thing, in the hope that it will turn you into a god, often leaves the other parts to suffer, and it's easy to bounce back and forth from one such thing to another (akin to over-steering a car).

All of this stuff is very subjective, and everybody has their own two cents and their own tips and tricks. As someone who has only recently "figured out" handguns, all I will say is this: dry fire, preferably at a non-organic target. Flip on the TV, pick a light switch ~10 feet away, and shoot at it. Get comfortable holding the gun, pulling the trigger, and having the sight not move. Regardless of your preferred technique, I know few people who will argue against the merits of dry fire. Hundreds, thousands of times. Dry fire.

Do what what the new guys do at my range. They look around for an old fat unshaven fat guy who is using His own reloads and ask Him for help.

Guys that fit that description will be more than willing to help you out.

Last week a guy picked me out because I fit that description perfectly and asked me for help.

Do what what the new guys do at my range. They look around for an old fat unshaven fat guy who is using His own reloads and ask Him for help.

Guys that fit that description will be more than willing to help you out.

Last week a guy picked me out because I fit that description perfectly and asked me for help.

haha, only ting to add when you are looking for these guys, they always carry their ammo in bright green or red ammo boxes. (just in-case they don't fit Bugs100's physical description.)[smile]

haha, only ting to add when you are looking for these guys, they always carry their ammo in bright green or red ammo boxes. (just in-case they don't fit Bugs100's physical description.)[smile]

[laugh2][laugh2]

Those guys are the best!

Everyone sucks when they first start, even the people who pretend they have been snipers since birth.. Grip, stance, trigger control, proper sight alignment, breath control, whether or not you smoke, how much coffee you have had, the breeze, etc. will all play a part in your shooting. You may very well have to correct one issue at a time too.. Like anything, practice makes perfect, just keep at it, and above all else, make sure you are being safe. I also recommend finding someone who has actual teaching experience to help you out.

Last week a guy came up to me and asked for help. He was about 50 and had his wife with him. He walked up and said, I'm having trouble with my pistol can you look at for me? He said, it's a S&W M&P 9mm.and I think it needs a trigger job.

As we walked over to his booth He said, I bought it used and just got my license and havn't shot a gun since I got out of the Army 30 years ago.

Well He didn't have a S&W M&P 9mm. He had a Sigma 9mm and the trigger was actually pretty good. So after I told him He didn't have a M&P and it was Sigma. I told him it wasn't really a bullseye gun and He was actually doing pretty good with what He had.

He asked me what a good bullseye gun would be. So I gave His Wife my Model 41 with 5 mags and She was thrilled that she did so good and then I gave Him My custom 1911 out of my holster and 4 mags. He did great and got them all in the 8 rings at 33ft. and realised that He wasn't a bad shot He just didn't have the right equipment.

The point of this whole boring story is, experinced shooters should take the time and effort to help out new shooters so they can really enjoy this sport and not walk away thinking to them selves that it's a waste of time and money that they will never get any good at it.

Last edited:
So yesterday I was at the range, my 5th time since being licensed and my worst day by far. I missed the target at 33' more times than all trips combined and couldn't figure out why. Obviously something was wrong because at that distance +/- 30' I had days where all shots where on paper even multiple bullseyes....

Well many rounds were spent trying to figure out why and it was my grip...... wrong thumb ontop! Now I can't wait to get back to make amends.

What a toolbag I am! [grenade]

Jon from GOAL was good at giving me the proper basics and he vastly improved my shot. His prices are also very reasonable.

Jon from GOAL was good at giving me the proper basics and he vastly improved my shot. His prices are also very reasonable.

I've always thought that Jon was a great hire for GOAL, ever since I met him (shortly after he was hired). Having taken the NRA Instructor course and The Art of Concealed Carry from Jon, I am 150% convinced that my first impressions are correct. He's the best instructor that I've ever met!

Any training that you can take from Jon, DO IT! You won't regret it and you will learn something that you didn't know.

Last week a guy came up to me and asked for help. He was about 50 and had his wife with him. He walked up and said, I'm having trouble with my pistol can you look at for me? He said, it's a S&W M&P 9mm.and I think it needs a trigger job.

As we walked over to his booth He said, I bought it used and just got my license and havn't shot a gun since I got out of the Army 30 years ago.

Well He didn't have a S&W M&P 9mm. He had a Sigma 9mm and the trigger was actually pretty good. So after I told him He didn't have a M&P and it was Sigma. I told him it wasn't really a bullseye gun and He was actually doing pretty good with what He had.

He asked me what a good bullseye gun would be. So I gave His Wife my Model 41 with 5 mags and She was thrilled that she did so good and then I gave Him My custom 1911 out of my holster and 4 mags. He did great and got them all in the 8 rings at 33ft. and realised that He wasn't a bad shot He just didn't have the right equipment.

The point of this whole boring story is, experinced shooters should take the time and effort to help out new shooters so they can really enjoy this sport and not walk away thinking to them selves that it's a waste of time and money that they will never get any good at it.

+2

I thank you for being so generous with your time and ammo. Needs to be more like you. You're my kind of people. [wink]

*note* I am not the guy you helped!
I just appreciate people who don't say, "you're wrong" or are quick to correct someone in a strong manner. It would've been easy to roll your eyes and tell the guy that he has a sigma instead of an M&P. I believe in the whole more flies with honey approach, and even though you prolly don't need MORE people shooting up your ammo and taking YOUR time, I know that you went about it the way that I would have wanted you to if I was that guy with the "M&P"

Too often, gun enthusiasts like to be the know-it-all playing "gotcha!". Everytime I'm in a local shop, I hear ridiculous or uninformed statements, but I think it's better to gently correct or nudge them in the right direction than to hop on my throne as Gun God and proclaim irrefutable technical gun knowledge

Back
Top Bottom