Would you ever leave a gun at work?

kalash

NES Member
Another Monday hypothetical for NES to discuss:

Due to the nature of your job, you're likely to have to visit sites where you can't carry (metal detectors, searches, whatever the case may be). You visit them once or twice a week and you don't know the dates in advance - i.e. you come into work and you might get told to go see a client at one of these locations or you might not be.

Since you can't carry to these secondary locations and you have no way to predict when you'll be going there and therefore can't just leave your carry piece at home on those specific days, what do you do? The obvious answer is that you don't carry at all but then a snow day rolls around when you're the only one in the office and when you leave you'll be walking out into the parking lot alone, in the dark, and your car is the only one outside, and suddenly you wish you were carrying. So...

Is it a horrible idea to keep a lockbox in your locked desk at work so that if you're going to a location where you can't carry, you can simply lock up your gun in your desk for a few hours? Let's say that company policy does not prohibit firearms. I think this would be legal storage, but correct me if I'm wrong.

How secure is your building and your desk?
Anyone can walk into the building and into my company's office but it's a small group so any outsiders would immediately be spotted as such. Desk is as secure as any normal desk - not very - hence the lockbox.

You specifically mention your car. Why don't you just lock it up in you car. Use a good lock-box, bolted down under the seat. It works even better if you're driving your car to the other site.

Biggest question is, would your coworkers or any non-employees be disturbed by seeing your firearm leave concealment before entering a secure container? There's always a risk that someone will see. Would it violate any company policies to store it there? Definitely not worth losing a job over.

You specifically mention your car. Why don't you just lock it up in you car. Use a good lock-box, bolted down under the seat. It works even better if you're driving your car to the other site.
Doesn't do me much good if I'm in the office and the gun is out in the parking lot.

Biggest question is, would your coworkers or any non-employees be disturbed by seeing your firearm leave concealment before entering a secure container? There's always a risk that someone will see. Would it violate any company policies to store it there? Definitely not worth losing a job over.
I have an office (though no lock on the door) so it would be easy to be discrete.

Doesn't do me much good if I'm in the office and the gun is out in the parking lot.

I have an office (though no lock on the door) so it would be easy to be discrete.

How do you go from your desk to a location you can't carry at? I think they assumed you had to drive there so in that case the locked in car seems like the best choice

I had a random coworker who didn't know me very well make a big, noisy, attention-grabbing fuss because she was sure I had a pistol inside a plastic box on my desk.

...it was a CD case. With CD's. Do you have that coworker?

I had a random coworker who didn't know me very well make a big, noisy, attention-grabbing fuss because she was sure I had a pistol inside a plastic box on my desk.

WTF? My coworkers want to go shoot skeet, so I'd say that's a no.

Perfect opportunity to replace the CDs with something like cancer treatment pills, "dead nephews favorite teddy bear", "ashes of dead wife", etc.

Nosy Nancy makes a fuss to your boss, and you break down in tears "Why do you want to hurt me so much???"

If you drive to the prohibited site, secure the firearm in a lockbox in your vehicle. Keep it on your person until you travel to said prohibited site.

I don't see the upside to leaving it at work if you can secure it in the same lockbox in your vehicle, and have enhanced proximity. My 2c as it is what I do.

The original question was what to do with the gun when you leave to go to another site. I fail to see the issue here. You carry it until/unless you have to go to one of the problem sites. Then you lock it in your car.

Are you trolling?

Does your employer forbid firearms/weapons at work? I apologize if this already mentioned

If employer says no pew-pew, and you are caught, is that something you could deal with?

Would I leave one in the office in a lockbox? No, mine is in a cable-lock box in the car- but the walk to my car is 10'

The original question was what to do with the gun when you leave to go to another site. I fail to see the issue here. You carry it until/unless you have to go to one of the problem sites. Then you lock it in your car.

Are you trolling?

This...take your gun to the prohibited site and secure it in your vehicle which is what I do when I go to the post office, making sure I park across the street in case no firearms are allowed in the parking lot (as in the case of the PO).

I'm not getting why this is even an issue.

If you drive to the prohibited site, secure the firearm in a lockbox in your vehicle. Keep it on your person until you travel to said prohibited site.

I don't see the upside to leaving it at work if you can secure it in the same lockbox in your vehicle, and have enhanced proximity. My 2c as it is what I do.

This would not work if it's a military base

I've actually had this situation come up a couple times. I just put my carry piece in a small lock box and locked it in my filing cabinet.

The big boss is a moonbat liberal and would shit a couple of bricks if he knew I carried, so I just keep it low key when I do it. No one else cares, and my direct boss grew up in Vermont and learned to shoot almost as young as I did.

This would not work if it's a military base

True, but that wasn't presented as part of the scenario now we are going into NES "what if overthink mode."

If that were the case, secure the pistol in a lockbox at work and lock in desk, filing cabinet or safe. If you have an office, close the door and do it discretely. If you are in a cube, go to the restroom in a stall with the lockbox in a plastic bag and do it in the stall or go to your car put it in the lockbox in a plastic bag, return and lock it in your desk. Again this is not rocket science. If you are so paranoid that somebody is going to question what you bring from your car in a plastic bag, then you have issues beyond this thread.

Yes, Depending on where you work it might make sense to leave a full size pistol there as well as an AR or shotgun.

Been in the exact situation the OP suggests, left it at work multiple times. It was usually when I had to go to the Saltonstall building on bid protests.

if you cannot have it at your place of work and if you are caught the consequences is termination then what are your options? If it is in your car and something goes down in the building what good will it do?

So why bring it to work at all just to leave it in the car? Almost seems pointless...and just adds an extra element of worry for me knowing it is in the car all day.

When i am in the office unless the "potential shooter" targets me first, I have an evade and escape plan. Will it work? I have no idea but I'm kind of crafty and believe everything is a weapon if used properly. Are some weapons more efficient and longer range than others? yup. But you work with what you have.

As for being on the road to and from work without a gun, well...a car is a pretty potent defensive weapon if used properly with some pretty decent driving skills.

So you have to weigh the risk vs. the reward. Yeah, it would be great to have an AR at work. But with or without a gun my goal is to get out and defend myself anyway I can until I accomplish that goal. I am not a hero and I do not play one on TV and I will not play one in a work situation. I am not paid to stop the threat.

So if you cannot have a gun at work then make sure you have things you can use to defend yourself the most important being a safe escape route. If you have an opportunity to neutralize the threat, i.e. he/she is reloading and you think you can be successful, then go for it. Otherwise I'm looking for the door.

I love carrying. I do it everyday I do not have to go into the office or to one of the kid's schools. I was carrying while I was seasoning my cast iron pans and taking pictures of the cornbread and brownie process. (in the cast iron thread) But I need my job. So when I go to work I follow the policy. No weapons. But a gun isn't the only thing in my tool bag. So when I have it it's nice to know it's there. But when I don't I know that I need other tools if something were to happen.

Keep calm and use common sense. Those are your best tools.

Back
Top Bottom