Would you buy a polymer frame gun

Would you buy a polymer gun?

• Definitely!

Votes: 122 59.5%
  • Depends on who makes it...

Votes: 61 29.8%
  • Oh Heck no! those things melt!

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • they make guns out of platic now!?!?... HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters
My preference is definitely for steel or some metal alloy etc. Got to love the feel of my Kimber.

I recently bought an XDM in 40 S&W and really like the feel (other than the trigger which I am getting used to but need a couple hundred more rounds.....).
I remember in the old days (late 80's) I really did not like the feel of the glock 17 when I shot it. Was way snappier than other 9mm's I shot at the time (including my Sig226)
A lot of that was the weight distributuion, almost all being in the slide and mag - didn't like the balance/snap. I have grown out of that and soon a G34 will find its way to my collection.

Now, I do enjoy myM&P, but I once showed my M&P9 to a friend and he had the following to say:

"Aww, thats cute. If you put water on it, does it grow up and become a big boy gun?"

Even though I like the M&P, it was funny as hell. Since I don't carry (restricted LTC) , I do prefer shooting steel guns.

I'll buy whatever feels good and is reliable and accurate enough for my purposes. 50 years ago people wouldn't have thought that polymers and plastic would hold up as a stock material.

I'm not a tremendous Glock fan (though the full size 10mm is appealing), but this is because I don't particularly care for the way they feel in my hand. I don't have a problem with a plastic gun because it is plastic. I've also handled steel/othermetal guns that just didn't feel right. I'd love an XD. I've voted Definitely! This sentence has been brought to you by Disjointed Thoughts, Inc.

I voted yes because I have a P22.

That said, I don't like it much.

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that's not because it's polymer-framed.

And I'd feel okay defending my life with just about anything HK makes, regardless of the composition.

...Political enough answer for ya? [wink]

I ended up getting an M&P 9mm. It has a slim grip, and I have small hands. It is surprising how
few pistols are made with narrow enough grips. I love the Beretta 92, but it would be much nicer if the grip was not so thick.

I don't have anything against polymer pistols, if they are well made and well designed. I detest the Glock though.

Just got rid of my Glock. I liked the gun, but couldn't shoot it well. Before the Glock it was a S&W 5946. Loved the gun & shot it well. Now I'm back to S&W with a CS9.

Gotta say I like the steel or alloy frame guns better.

I was so focused on the election I failed at spelling.

My first firearms experiences were when I went in the Army. I guess I just got used to guns that had no wood on them. Other than the occasional AK I would see in the field, I never had any contact with any type of small arm that had wood on it. So when I made my first rifle purchase I bought a Winchester 70 in .308 with a synthetic stock. I just felt weird about a wood stock having never fired a rifle with a wood stock. Later when I bought my first handgun, I wanted a glock because it has a non traditional frame. Problem now is, I cannot even imagine buying a rifle with a wood stock or a handgun with a steel frame. Gotta get out of this mind frame.

I feel bad for those who've never fired an H&K!

I've been lucky enough to fire an HK USP 45c - JEBUS it was awesome - how I lust for a USP pistol. The way it felt in my hand was great and the recoil buffer system is pretty slick. But correct me if I am wrong, HKs are polymer/ metal reinforcing 'composite' frames?

I don't like plastic. I find the weight and feel to be "cheap". I like the weight of a steel gun, so I'm not a fan of the featherweight types, etc either in other alloys.

I cannot even imagine buying a rifle with a wood stock
Would this help you?

pic002.jpg

After a lifelong love of Wood and Steel, I bought my first plastic gun two months ago. I got a Kahr PM9.

The jury is still out on what I think. It doesn't do much my Centennial won't do, but I wanted to try one.

I have an HK45, PM9 and 22/45 Hunter all with plastic frames. I have to admit that the plastic frames don't exactly inspire me as compared to a 1911 or SIG P-Series but I like these guns regardless (actually, I wish I bought a regular Mk III instead of the 22/45). So, I'll buy a plastic gun but they have to impress me enough to overcome the downside (in my mind) of having a plastic frame.

HK USP compact 45.

It has a particular elegance of design (and function) that I think makes up for what it lacks in old school charm.

Back
Top Bottom